"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes

Old 07-27-2012, 05:00 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

We like baked potatoes with Spaghetti Bolognese in them or a nice tuna mornay...or your traditional ham, pineapple, cheese and sour cream

Old 06-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOrchid310 View Post
Mom bought a giant sack of potatoes at the store and told me she wanted baked potatoes for dinner. I'm really excited about this; I haven't had a baked potato in way too long!

I've never baked a potato by myself before though! It's always looked simple enough, but tonight was the first time I realized I'd never actually made one myself!

What are some of your preferred "methods"? Also toppings! There are at least 10 spuds in that sack, and butter, cheese and bacon bits will get old fast!
As there's only me who eats them it's not worth lighting the oven just for one potato so I cheat and used the m/wave. My absolutely favourite thing to have on them is taramasalata which I buy ready made. A very speedy lunch.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia View Post
I scrub the potatoes and bake part way in the microwave then finish up in the oven. The kitchen doesn't heat up as much and they taste great. I also do casseroles the same way...it cuts down on oven time and still gets the results of having been cooked in the oven.
I do the same although I start them in the microwave and finish them in the toaster oven. I always cut a thin slice off of each end and it seems to help the steam escape and gives the potato a nicer texture. I also carefully squeeze the potato all over with a hot pad when it's done, to break up the inside being careful to avoid splitting the skin.
Who knew there were so many ways to bake a potato.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOrchid310 View Post
Mom bought a giant sack of potatoes at the store and told me she wanted baked potatoes for dinner. I'm really excited about this; I haven't had a baked potato in way too long!

I've never baked a potato by myself before though! It's always looked simple enough, but tonight was the first time I realized I'd never actually made one myself!

What are some of your preferred "methods"? Also toppings! There are at least 10 spuds in that sack, and butter, cheese and bacon bits will get old fast!
You can give it an asian twist : Add some shredded chicken, mixed with Coriander, Soy sauce, Honey, Chili and lime !
frenchguycooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #25
Master Chef

A nifty trick that would work for your microwave cooking technique is to take a plug out, through the length of the potato center. An apple corer will do the job. Cut the plug in half. Fill the whold with any number of fillings, from ham and cheese, to shredded roast beef and duxcelles. Yu can fill it with uncooked mushroom soup, or mushrooms and butter, or compound butter, or seasoned ground beef, with whatever your imagination can create. Then microwave it. By the time the potato is done, the filling will likewise be done.

Oh, after you put the filling into the whole, push the plug halves in from both sides.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
potato