"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes

Old 02-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Chicken Breast Ideas

I have about an hour to come up with an idea for, make, and eat a chicken breast that is currently thawing in my kitchen. So far I've made: Honey Stir-fry, Chicken Parmesan, and a chicken/mashed potatoes/bacon bowl type thing. I'm pretty tired of all of the above. Any ideas for me? Thanks!!

Old 02-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
Master Chef

Chicken fingers breaded, barbequed or buffalo style.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Something super easy and versatile:

Place 1 chicken breast on a piece of foil, S&P both sides. (or seasoning of choice). Cut up one potato in thin slices, lay on top. You can cut up a few slices of onions/ peppers on top as well. Add about a T of BBQ sauce. Seal in foil packet. Bake 450 for 18-22 minutes. (Or I actually do mine at 350 for about 35 minutes. You can change vegetables/ sauces around, add cheese etc to suit your taste.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
Something super easy and versatile:

Place 1 chicken breast on a piece of foil, S&P both sides. (or seasoning of choice). Cut up one potato in thin slices, lay on top. You can cut up a few slices of onions/ peppers on top as well. Add about a T of BBQ sauce. Seal in foil packet. Bake 450 for 18-22 minutes. (Or I actually do mine at 350 for about 35 minutes. You can change vegetables/ sauces around, add cheese etc to suit your taste.
That sounds like a great meal to leave in the refrigerator for the helpless hubby or teen!

I think I will give it a try.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
Sous Chef

It is so easy and here is a link for many many more easy packets.

packet recipes | foil dinner recipes
Old 02-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
Master Chef

Chicken Chop Suey:
1 can sliced water chestnuts
1 can bamboo shoots
8 0z sliced mushrooms
4 tbs. soy sauce
3 tbs soy sauce
1.8 tsp. Chinese 5-spice powder
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, peeld and sliced into bite-sized strips
2 stalks celery
3 cups water
1 cup velvet marinade (see recipe below)
2 chicken breasts
2 cups fresh bean sprouts
3 tbs sugar
4 tbs. cooking oil

Cornstarch slurry:
combine 1 cup of water, 3 tbs soy sauce,3 heaping tbs cornstarch, and the Chines 5 spice powder in a bowl. Stir until the cornstarch is disolved. Taste. Add more soy sauce if needed. 1/8 tsp. of powdered ginger can be added if you want.

Place 1 tbs cooking oil into a sauce pan and heat until fragrant. While the oil is heating, skin and bone the chicken breasts. Add the skin and bones into the pot and brown. Add 1/2 tsp. kosher salt.

When the skins are golden brown and crispy, add three cups of water, cover, and turn the heat to simmer.

Open and drain the water chestnuts and bamboo shoots. Use the can juice to add flavor to the chicken broth that's cooking in the pot.

Slice the chicken into thin strips and place into the marinade. Let sit for ten minutes. While the chicken is hanging out in the marinade, heat a large wok, or SS frying pan over high heat. When hot, add 3 tbs. cooking oil. Place the washed mushrooms into the pan and stir-fry until soft. Season with a tsp. of salt and stir. Immediately add the water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, onion, garlic, and celery to the hot pan. Stir-fry until very lightly carmelized. REmove from the heat.

Remove the skins and bones from tbe broth and taste it. Correct the seasoning. Turn down the heat until the broth is no longer bubbling, but is on the verge of doing so. REmove teh chicken strips from the marinade and place into the hot broth, 4 strips at a time, and let poach until the cornstarch turns opaque. Remove the strips and repeat until all of the chicken strips have been poached. By the way, the is called velveting chicken.

Add more water to the broth until you have about 2 cups, and thicken with a little corn starch slurry (you can use some of the slurry used to marinade the chicken). Bring to a boil and check the thickness. You want it to be about the consistancy of a heavy gravy.

Add the chicken strips and gravy to the stir fried veggies and fold all together. Serve with hot rice and your favorite sauce on the side.

If you add soft-cooked noodles, this becomes chicken lo mein. Add crispy-fried noodles and you get chicken chow mein. Enjoy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
Half Baked

I have the same problem. I am going for chicken piccata and some pasta.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
Executive Chef

How about making it au poivre? This is a lot quicker than one hour.

Sprinkle chicken breast(s) with crushed peppercorns or very coarse pepper. Place between sheets of plastic and pound them with a mallet to flatten and achieve uniform thickness. Saute in butter until first side is lightly browned, turn once and repeat. Reserve breast(s) in warm oven.

Deglaze the pan with Madeira or dry sherry wine, then add some cream and rosemary, whisk until sauce is smooth, then serve over breast(s).

Chicken au Poivre recipes on Google
Old 02-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
Head Chef

I know I'm late, but this one is dead simple and high on flavor and you can try it some other time. (I watched Jamie Oliver make this ages ago on one of the cooking channels.) It's simple to adjust the ingredients to make one serving or to make eight.

halved chicken breasts
sliced pancetta, I use 4 thin slices per half-breast
leeks, sliced into thin rings and rinsed well
white wine (or chicken stock w/ a squeeze of lemon)
fresh thyme

Toss the leeks with some olive oil, S&P, fresh thyme leaves, glug of white wine and add a knob of butter. Mix it around and put into the bottom of a casserole dish.

Wrap each chicken breast w/ slices of pancetta. Put the chicken onto the leek mixture & try to pile the leeks up under the chicken breasts as best you can to prevent them from browning too quickly. Drizzle with a touch more olive oil, place a couple of whole thyme sprigs on top and cook for 25 to 35 minutes at 400F.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Zerah that sounds pretty good!

I hope the OP meant s/he had an hour allotted for cooking the meal. If s/he expected an answer within an hour of posting the OP then it was a pretty good response since most of the replies were within an hour.

I hope that didn't include drive to market time!

Tags
chicken