Chocolate cake in a cup! Takes about 3 minutes (seriously)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaineH

Assistant Cook
My version of chocloate cake in a cup!
You will need:

4 Tablespoons cake flour
4 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons cocoa
1 Egg
3 Tablespoons milk
3 Tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
1 teaspoon rum flavoring
1 teaspoon instant coffee
1 mug

All the ingredients go in the mug!
Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa and coffee together. Add in the egg and stir. Now add the milk, oil, vanilla and rum. Mix until smooth. Microwave on high for 3 minutes, let cool for a bit, then simply tip onto plate. Instant chocolate cake! And it's delicious...

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that one teaspoon of coffee or of INSTANT coffee? I ask because apparently it's supposed to be mixed in with the dry ingredients.

Is that one teaspoon of coffee or of INSTANT coffee? I ask because apparently it's supposed to be mixed in with the dry ingredients.

I suppose some might make that mistake, but they'd only do it once. My oldest sister did that once in making a coffee cake. the recipe called for adding coffee to the frosting, She added the grounds :LOL: She could make a mean pork cop though.

Bob

Here is another version and our readers gave us a number of additions and alterations such as using unsweetened apple juice instead of oil, and chocolate instead of the drops.

We found it to be delicious so can't wait to try your version

What you need…
4 Tablespoons cake flour
4 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons cocoa
1 Egg
1 Tablespoons milk
1 Tablespoons oil
3 Tablespoons chocolate drops (optional)
1 Mug
And this is what you do….
  • Crack an egg and add it to your mug. Be sure to mix it well to avoid any pockets of flour in the corners.
  • Add dry ingredients to the mug, and mix well.
  • Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.
  • Add the chocolate drops if you’ve got them, and a splash of vanilla essence too.
  • Pop your mug into the microwave & zap for 3 minutes on maximum power (1000watt).
  • Wait until the cake stops rising, and sets in the mug.
  • If necessary, run a knife around the sides of the mug, and tip the still warm cake out of the mug and onto a saucer.
Add a dollop of cream if you wish and sit back and enjoy with a coffee.

You can check out the comments on our website for this recipe. Thank you for sharing.
Cheers
Wanda

Here is another version and our readers gave us a number of additions and alterations such as using unsweetened apple juice instead of oil, and chocolate instead of the drops.

We found it to be delicious so can't wait to try your version

What you need…
4 Tablespoons cake flour
4 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons cocoa
1 Egg
1 Tablespoons milk
1 Tablespoons oil
3 Tablespoons chocolate drops (optional)
1 Mug
And this is what you do….
  • Crack an egg and add it to your mug. Be sure to mix it well to avoid any pockets of flour in the corners.
  • Add dry ingredients to the mug, and mix well.
  • Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.
  • Add the chocolate drops if you’ve got them, and a splash of vanilla essence too.
  • Pop your mug into the microwave & zap for 3 minutes on maximum power (1000watt).
  • Wait until the cake stops rising, and sets in the mug.
  • If necessary, run a knife around the sides of the mug, and tip the still warm cake out of the mug and onto a saucer.
Add a dollop of cream if you wish and sit back and enjoy with a coffee.

You can check out the comments on our website for this recipe. Thank you for sharing.
Cheers
Wanda
You can use regular flour, just add a bit of baking powder.

How do you cook the cake in the mug? Does it not crack or break in a hot oven?

My version of chocloate cake in a cup!
You will need:

4 Tablespoons cake flour
4 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons cocoa
1 Egg
3 Tablespoons milk
3 Tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
1 teaspoon rum flavoring
1 teaspoon instant coffee
1 mug

All the ingredients go in the mug!
Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa and coffee together. Add in the egg and stir. Now add the milk, oil, vanilla and rum. Mix until smooth. Microwave on high for 3 minutes, let cool for a bit, then simply tip onto plate. Instant chocolate cake! And it's delicious...

Enjoy!

I am definitely going to try this

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't wait to give this a go, it sounds great for one of those moments when you need an instant chocolate hit.

I was surprised to see this here. I first found out about this cake about 18 months ago while in Austria and it was perfect for when you wanted cake but didn't want to go to the shops to get it.

I got all excited about this cake a couple of years ago and made it several times, changing the recipe after the first try or two in an attempt to make it taste like a real cake.

I was disappointed in the results, but give it a try. You may have better luck.

Back
Top Bottom