"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes

Old 12-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #11
Master Chef

It cooks potatoes and rice, even brown rice in minutes. Beans are no problem as long as you don't overfill the pot. Remember that beans swell. The PC shouldn't be over 2/3rds full. Foaming foods can clog the pressure release tubes. This can cause dangerous pressures.

Sauces that require hours of simmering are done in a half hour. I've made flan, and steamed puddings in my PC. Anything that can be made in a slow cooker, or by braising low and slow can be cooked in a fraction of the time in a PC. I've heard that breads can made in the pressure cooker, but haven't done it myself. Soups, boiled dinner, pilafs, pasta, sauces, veggies, stews, all can be cooked in a pressure cooker.

Large pressurised cookers can be used for canning. These are usually called pressure canner/cookers, and are a required item when canning non-acidic foods, like meat, most veggies, salsa, many fruit preserves, canned peaches, canned apples, etc.

I could go on, but why. I think you get the picture. The pressure cooker is a very versatile tool. But don't try to pressure fry in them. You need special pressure fryers for that task.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
What uses might a pressure cooker be used for other than for large chunks of meat----- which I rarely make/eat? I've heard that cooking beans in them might clog the valves.

Remember, I'm home all day (retired) so time isn't always important as long as I don't have to stand and tend to something. Maybe I don't need one----- but I just love kitchen stuff.
I've got the old Prestige Hi-dome PC with three weights to achieve 3 levels of pressure. No problem with beans - just follow the instructions re quantity of beans and water and don't over fill it. (Oh, and soak them first)

I make soup in mine and ratatouille (yes, I know it's not the true method but it's quicker). I don't cook thinks like green veg (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, green beans, etc.,) because I think it over cooks them even if you obey the instructions to the letter - same with fish. Steamed puddings cook much quicker in the PC. Again, follow the instructions. You can use some types of PC for bottling fruit. Some people use them for stews but I prefer a longer cook for my stews.

I also use it without the lid if I need a big pan for something. Very versatile animal my PC

Old 12-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
Head Chef

Mad cook------I got rid of my very old PC after I found I was only using it as an extra pot and not for it's use. Someone in the apt. complex I was living in at the time wanted one----- so hopefully it's still cooking away.

Tags
fast