Fastest Meal I've Ever Made

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scoobagirl

Senior Cook
I had some boneless pork chops thawed out - 4 in the package and they were about 3/4" thick. I decided to pan sear them. I heated some EVOO in a skillet on med-high and at the same time boiled water in a saucepan to make some couscous (Far East brand, in a box near the rice in the supermarket). Just after the water boiled, I put the couscous in and set aside (you remove it from heat to stand) and then put the 4 chops in the skillet, seasoned with salt & pepper, and partly covered with the skillet lid. Then I popped some canned green beans into the microwave with some butter. After the chops had cooked for about 4 minutes I turned them with a spatula and cooked them another 3-4 minutes, also partially covered with the skillet lid. This kept the oil from spattering everywhere and also kept the moisture in.

I promise, this meal was DONE in like 10-15 minutes and it was wonderful. The pork was perfect and moist - not overcooked at all. The couscous had a oil & garlic flavor packet in it and was very tasty, and the green beans were the perfect vegetable accompaniment. I know its all very plain, but it was fast and very tasty! Hubby was thrilled. I don't know if he will let me cook chops any other way now.

Just wanted to share my TNT quickie meal with y'all.

My mom use to do her pork chops like that, but about 5 min til done she would add some good red wine and lots of black pepper, cover and finish, these were so good I hadn't thought of them for years til you mentioned how you had done you chops tonight...Thanks
kadesma

I've had good success dry-searing pork chops in a scorching Cast iron for ~45secs first side, flip and throw in oven for ~5mins @ 350 to finish.

Wow. I'm lucky if stuff I cook on the stove takes under an hour! I must say that pork chop dinner really sounds awfully good.
Maybe one day I'll have a real stove. Then I'll have to learn how to cook all over again!

Funny, I made a similar meal a few days ago. Boiled water in a kettle and poured over couscous and let sit. Threw some thawed, precooked shrimp into a skillet with olive oil and garlic for a few minutes. during those minutes I cut up a tomato and some parsley and mixed into cous cous. Dumped shrimp over cous cous. deglazed pan with white wine. added cream, little lemon juice, salt, pepper and poured rendered sauce over everything. Took maximum 7 minutes for everything. Cous cous is great for quick fixes.

probably am cheating, two minutes for bean and ham soup to heat up. pouring a glass of milk while it heated. grabbed a sleeve of crackers. so bout three min. for all. lol, but really think i cheated.

Flukx, Far East couscous is my very favorite fast food for home cooking. Pour a little stock over it (if you buy the unflavored one, otherwise the seasonings are already there). You can make it into a one dish meal by adding leftover chopped meat, nuts, raisins (or other dried fruit), capers, peppers, scallions, your favorite seasonings, olive oil or butter, feta cheese, peas, (in other words, whatever is leftover in your fridge) and you have a full, nutritious meal ... in less than 15 minutes.

I am still in the dark ages cooking pork chops the way my mother did - brown, add liquid, cook for an hour. Braising, I guess. The pork back in those long ago days was probably tougher than it is now, and there was always the fear of dreaded trichinosis. I DO cook pork tenderloins only until they are still a little pink inside...I guess I'll have to get brave and cook pork chops the way they should be cooked. Thanks for the menu - it sounds delicious.

Here's a money-saving tip: If you use couscous a lot, you can buy it in 31.7-oz. containers, like this: RiceSelect Original Couscous, 31.7-Ounce Jars (Pack of 4): Amazon.com: Grocery (that's for a 4-pack) for about $6, I think. It's much cheaper per serving, and you can flavor it however you want. I find couscous to be very bland, so I usually use lemon zest and a variety of herbs and spices in it (whatever I'm using in the other parts of the meal), in addition to fresh and dried fruits and veggies, garlic and onions.

My fastest meals are usually when I throw all kinds of things into a pot and make soup. I usually toast bread to go with it.

Also very plain and only takes around 15 mins to do.

Mel:)

Back
Top Bottom