"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes

Old 04-29-2009, 06:13 PM   #21
Senior Cook

I've eaten them about everywhere except Hooters. I can eat 'em, I'm just not a big fan of 'em. I don't crave 'em or anything, but if they're around and I need a snack I'll grab one.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Easy pork entree for a beginner:

Buy a pork tenderloin (not a pork loin, but a tenderloin). Take one of the tenderloins (it's usually packaged two per pack) and slice it into 1" medallions, season them with some type of Grill Mates seasoning (or whatever you like), and then sear/cook the medallions in a skillet which has been coated very, very lightly with oil. It is very easy to see when the medallions are done to your liking. This is great with a bernaise sauce. Knorr's makes a sauce mix which is the next best thing to homemade, but I'm sure someone can tell you how to make a quick bernaise.

Use the other tenderloin for pork fried rice, or a pork/noodle stir fry, or (one of my favorites) use it with ramen noodles or some type of Chinese noodles to make a hot & sour soup. Really, one tenderloin is enough to make all three of those dinners when you're only cooking for two.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:42 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the ideas. i haven't tried to make bernaise sauce before, but I do make a mean hollandaise, so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch. Any suggestions for a sandwich-free packed lunch? Preferably one that doesn't require more than half an hour to prep and make?
Old 04-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #24
Senior Cook

How about a chicken salad? Mix up some of your favorite greens, cook up a boneless skinless chicken breast, and zest the salad up with anything you like. This fits right into any Ziploc bowl or similar, and a dressing can go in a smaller Ziploc type bowl.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #25
Senior Cook

OP, you are one sweet and accommodating person. Will you marry me? I just have to warn you, if your answer is "yes", I'll have to ask my wife if it's OK.

I hope you two have a great time setting up your household and enjoying your roles in life! But I will say, from the perspective of an old guy who's been married almost 30 years through thick and thin ... you're gonna eat lots of leftovers.

SRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #26
Head Chef

You cook what you cook. Of course, you can be sensitive to his likes and dislikes, but he also needs to be appreciative of whatever you do. If not, then he's got a problem! and I don't care where he is from.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
You cook what you cook. Of course, you can be sensitive to his likes and dislikes, but he also needs to be appreciative of whatever you do. If not, then he's got a problem! and I don't care where he is from.
Amen to that. My Mom used to say, "However you start off with a man, that's the way it's going to be". That might be okay in the beginning to start off being so accommodating, but after a while, it can wear on you.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
oh no, he's very appreciative, he does his best, but he does have a rather delicate system. anyway, i knew what i was getting into. i'm just glad i can talk him into a veggie that isn't deep fried

as for left-overs, i've become pretty popular around school/work
Old 04-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yule View Post
oh no, he's very appreciative, he does his best, but he does have a rather delicate system. anyway, i knew what i was getting into. i'm just glad i can talk him into a veggie that isn't deep fried

as for left-overs, i've become pretty popular around school/work

How very contradicting. Keep talking, you will have yourself convinced yet.

WOW, you can afford to feed your classmates and co-workers.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:12 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I understand him not liking boxed/processed foods. It drives me crazy because I can taste the preservatives in a lot of them...even commercial glazes and sauces.

You may end up going to the grocery store every other day, but, if you are like me, you may like it!

Things for lunch may include pasta salads. Just be sure they are balanced with veggies and a protein. Instead of sandwiches do wraps or use pita bread. It's sort of the same but then again it's a bit different. With summer fast approaching I love a pita stuffed with fresh veggies, a couple slices of turkey, and a drizzle of low fat ranch.

He's going to have to give you some suggestions. The ideal thing would be him take left-overs for lunch the next day. If my husband didn't eat left-overs sometimes he would have to go 4 days without eating

Good luck and have fun!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote