"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes

Old 04-29-2009, 11:22 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
How very contradicting. Keep talking, you will have yourself convinced yet.

WOW, you can afford to feed your classmates and co-workers.

love is blind and deaf. hope it works out for you.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:31 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Love is blind and deaf and I see nothing wrong with that. If it weren't no one would ever stay together. Another word I prefer is love is accepting. I don't think the boyfriend is being mean about it...he likes what he likes. He grew up eating fresh ingredients. Cooking fresh just requires more trips to the grocery store. It's not that part that worries me. It's those lunches I would have trouble with especially since leftovers are a no-no and he doesn't want sandwiches every day.

Again, good luck.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:38 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
love is blind and deaf. hope it works out for you.

Is this directed at the OP?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:15 AM   #34
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
How very contradicting. Keep talking, you will have yourself convinced yet.

WOW, you can afford to feed your classmates and co-workers.
I mean he gets acid stomach and indigestion easily. I'm not sure why he can't eat fish, but i've seen him try several times, and it never stays down for long. also, we live quite well, or at least I think we do, and i'm a very thrifty shopper, and yes, I have a lot of fun with making the food, even if it can be intense sometimes, and personaly i like having a different veiw on how i'm doing from time to time.

by the way, why do so many people feel like either he or i commited some moral sin here? I mean, it's our relationship, and it works for us.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:31 AM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yule View Post
I mean he gets acid stomach and indigestion easily. I'm not sure why he can't eat fish, but i've seen him try several times, and it never stays down for long. also, we live quite well, or at least I think we do, and i'm a very thrifty shopper, and yes, I have a lot of fun with making the food, even if it can be intense sometimes, and personaly i like having a different veiw on how i'm doing from time to time.

by the way, why do so many people feel like either he or i commited some moral sin here? I mean, it's our relationship, and it works for us.
I'm with you Yule - it IS your relationship and not the relationship of
a bunch of strangers - you came to us for ideas about food not
about your relationship.

I would make a lot of different 'salads' for him based on whole grains, lentils and cooked vegetables - I would advise you to browse some Indian
cookbooks or websites for ideas. Egg based dishes are also easy and
cheap and quick - salads - frittatas with meat and vegetables will do well.
Hearty soups will also do well for lunch - split pea, lentil, tuscan bean come to mind.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #36
Head Chef

Sorry, I guess the original posting came off sounding like he was really controlling. When you gave more information, it makes more sense.
Like Mike says, try some salads with grains, also a variety of pastas. What type of lunch does he need? Eat at a desk? If he can take a more leisurely lunch, try some good bread, a hunk of good cheese, and some fresh fruit.

Sometimes things "sound" different when using few words on an impersonal place like an internet forum.
Again, my apologies.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yule View Post

I think the point about being contradictory is that fried foods often cause indigestion, so if he has to be talked out of eating fried veggies, that's an odd contradiction.

You also said in the beginning that you had *just* moved in together, and it seems to some of us who have been in a relationship for a long time (DH and I will celebrate 25 years of marriage in June) that he is being a tad too demanding in how he wants *you* to do things, considering his willingness to eat ramen, takeout and fried veggies when the meal preparation is up to him

This is the time for the two of you to start figuring out ways to compromise on certain things, because, as someone else said, while it might seem sweet to be so accommodating now, after a few years and maybe some kids, it will wear on you, and you are setting a precedent of allowing him to dictate some awfully constraining terms.

When we were first married, DH was in the Navy. The military is well-known for being very picky about the way one's uniforms are pressed, and DH at first expected me to do the ironing. Um, sorry, I'm not the one who joined the military, and I'm not doing his ironing. Since then, he does his own ironing.

re: pork, many Indians do not eat pork - has he said anything about that to you? And re: casseroles, it's not easy to make casseroles for two with no leftovers.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Love is blind and deaf and I see nothing wrong with that. If it weren't no one would ever stay together. Another word I prefer is love is accepting. I don't think the boyfriend is being mean about it...he likes what he likes. He grew up eating fresh ingredients. Cooking fresh just requires more trips to the grocery store. It's not that part that worries me. It's those lunches I would have trouble with especially since leftovers are a no-no and he doesn't want sandwiches every day.

Again, good luck.
Hey, KE, what bugs me about this is that "he likes what he likes" when *someone else* prepares it. He's perfectly willing to eat processed and unhealthy foods when he has to make it himself.

And cooking fresh requires not just more trips to the grocery store, but cooking *every day*. I have a feeling that if he doesn't want leftovers, he wouldn't be happy with her cooking a whole chicken on a Sunday and then using leftover meat in other dishes during the week.

I'd tell him he's on his own for lunch.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:32 AM   #39
Master Chef

good luck!! demanding becomes controling VERY quickly.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #40
Certified Pretend Chef

Let's get back on topic. Relationship advice was not requested.

Anyone have any meal ideas?