ISO Microwave quick recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think a lot depends on the bacon that you use as much as anything else. I tend to use middle rashers and also have a preference for it not being crunchy. I cook it in stages, so I don't over do it, and I also trim the fat.

Bacon is one of those funny items that is very personal in how you like it cooked - irrespective of the method - and the variety that you enjoy the most. I would try a different cut if all else has failed you.

Also, I have never cooked bacon in a standard oven - only in the microwave or frying pan, so maybe our "goals" are different too.

lol, i used to have a recipe book full of microwave recipes. Here's the only one that I like.

-melt about a table spoon of butter for a minute
-add a tablespoon of flour, stir up until free of all the lumps, add less then a cup of milk (it said a cup but that a little too much for my taste so I usually use a little less than a cup)
-microwave it for about two minutes, take it out stir, heat it again for about 3 mins, take it out stir
-add a can of tuna and some frozen peas if you like, microwave for about 3-5 mins. you be the judge.

-add some salt and pepper. add cooked macaroni too if you like.

Top it with some potato chips and it'll be a great dish.

I usually like to substitute the flour for mashed potato flakes. It adds a little sweetness to the dish. That's just me though. =) Happy cooking! Hope it helps.

turkey bacon; perhaps another way to cook bacon

Hi all,

I was in a restaurant which offered turkey bacon and on a wild impulse, I ordered it.

Wowee kazowee. It tastes like regular bacon but is supposedly much better for us. The strips were bacon-strip sized, and were dark brown.

Today I saw some turkey bacon in the grocery, and the uncooked strips are dark brown, without any of the white fat streaks. I didn't buy any because it *looked* too different from the standard bacon I'm used to--but I've had that same reaction to new foods before, and I always got over it eventually. I guess I am at the start of the same cycle with turkey bacon.

I have been thinking of getting an electric indoor grill, and maybe I will try bacon on it, possibly the type made from turkey. I have pretty much given up for now on bacon in the microwave.

i don't care for bacon from the micro. they do make a pan that is supposed to do the trick in micro. i have not tried it, but check at amazon, etc.

I prefer it, as it's less greasy, IMO. There is a special ridged pan, but a couple of layers of paper towel on bottom and a couple more on top do best, I think. Blot it good when you take it out, and remove from greasy towel.

iamallthatiam, you just described tuna fish casserole, the very one we had, sans peas, every Friday night when I was growing up! No microwaves back then, so--and I don't think I'm spilling any trade secrets here!--it was cream of mushroom or celery, tuna, and milk stirred together, with potato chips crumpled on top. We kids loved it.

I have one of those microware egg cookers and love it at it only takes about 80 seconds on about 70% power...no grease...but you have to cook it on low power or they will explode...yikes!

Doug

Hi all,

I was in a restaurant which offered turkey bacon and on a wild impulse, I ordered it.

Wowee kazowee. It tastes like regular bacon but is supposedly much better for us. The strips were bacon-strip sized, and were dark brown.

Today I saw some turkey bacon in the grocery, and the uncooked strips are dark brown, without any of the white fat streaks. I didn't buy any because it *looked* too different from the standard bacon I'm used to--but I've had that same reaction to new foods before, and I always got over it eventually. I guess I am at the start of the same cycle with turkey bacon.

I have been thinking of getting an electric indoor grill, and maybe I will try bacon on it, possibly the type made from turkey. I have pretty much given up for now on bacon in the microwave.

Turkey bacon is wonderful stuff. Since my husband hasn't eaten any red-meat products in going on 40 years now, turkey bacon (& turkey ham, etc., etc.) is a fridge staple for us. Both - especially turkey ham - are extremely close in taste & texture to their corresponding pork products. I use them in all sorts of recipes, the only difference being that if a recipe is dependant on "bacon drippings", one has to add a dollop of oil (I use extra-virgin olive oil) to make up for the fat shortcomings of turkey products.

I'm puzzled as to what brand of turkey bacon you came across that was "dark brown" when purchased. I've tried every brand of turkey bacon around & there were only 2 that were darker-colored than regular bacon: one artisinal thick-cut peppered turkey bacon, & one that wasn't turkey bacon at all, but duck bacon, of all things. Both were pricey &, in my opinion, not worth the extra money. If I were you, I'd just go with one of the mainstream brands - Butterball, Jimmy Dean, Jenny-O, etc. They're all good & all cook up nicely in the microwave. And yes - they are healthier for you than regular bacon.

iamallthatiam, you just described tuna fish casserole, the very one we had, sans peas, every Friday night when I was growing up! No microwaves back then, so--and I don't think I'm spilling any trade secrets here!--it was cream of mushroom or celery, tuna, and milk stirred together, with potato chips crumpled on top. We kids loved it.

its quite yummy. maybe i'll try cream of mushroom instead of the flour/butter/milk sauce, next time.

I used to make this dish often because my brother is exceptionally picky and this is one of the very few dish that he likes all the time any time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom