Kid friendly recipes to share??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll start sending you a couple of recipes at a time Dee. I hope you and your little one enjoy them. BTW, how was your first day at work? I hope all went well and you're enjoying your job. Have a great one!

I would love the pumpkin waffle recipe and the one you said was like a monkey munch..? Any time you get the chance, I'm in no hurry for them. I was think of maybe trying the munch recipe with my students in school.
Thanks Dina, hope you are doing well!!??

Oh and the new job has been a little rough, haven't been the most welcoming group, but I'm slowly adjusting! Thanks for asking!:)

The way to make my kids eat carrots and cucumbers is by cutting them into julienne, then making a sauce(my daughter likes a garlic sauce and my son a cocktail sauce) then they just sit there dipping the veggies into the sauces, and end up eating quite a good amount of veggies. I also make tempura of various veggies and that gets them eating too. We had our annual neighbourhood party and were to contribute something or other, my daughter asked me to prepare 'honey chicken' - as we call it, it's basically, chicken drumsticks, marinated in honey, garlic and peanut butter. The kids loved it. Another secret I have leant over the years is that if I am making something like mashed potatoes which they do not care much for, I make it with something that they love like say sausages or meatballs, that way they always eat some mashed potatoes, a little but at least some and gradually they have got used to eat...well my daughter anyway, my son still doesn't eat much of the mashed potatoes. On the other hand when we are having french fries, I cook pork chops or roast chicken or beef. Curry comes with rice and chapati, both with eat the rice and chapati and my son will have a bit of the sauce from the curry. He is getting there!

I would love the pumpkin waffle recipe and the one you said was like a monkey munch..? Any time you get the chance, I'm in no hurry for them. I was think of maybe trying the munch recipe with my students in school.
Thanks Dina, hope you are doing well!!??
Your students will love the 101 Dalmation Puppy Chow. The recipe is on it's way via PM.

All is good here, thanks. I'm fixing to go back to work on a part-time basis. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to secure a full time teaching position at the district I wanted but I will be substituting at my son's elementary school very soon.

Unfortunately I realized I can't make it for my students since it is a peanut free environment....but my daughter can def have it at home! Thank you again!
How funny I wanted a part time position for teacher but was only offered a full time , you want full time but got a part time! Wanna switch??;)

Unfortunately I realized I can't make it for my students since it is a peanut free environment....but my daughter can def have it at home! Thank you again!
How funny I wanted a part time position for teacher but was only offered a full time , you want full time but got a part time! Wanna switch??;)

I think part-time is all I can handle at this time, but thank you for the offer.

Mine loved to help make pigs in blanket.....easy, quick, and fun to make........they also loved anything with tortillas....quesadillas, fajitas, moo shu pork or chicken.... spaghetti and pizza were always favorites.......along with macaroni and cheese......I always had lots of fresh fruit and veggie slices for them as well and they'd eat it as long as mother dearest cut it up for them.........yeah, I threw in a bit of junk, too, but not much..........:)

when i was a kiddo, would take an apple, put an apple corer/slicer through, place in a round teacup, & sprinkle with varying sugars & cinnamon, then microwave fer a few.
i loved 'em & they were fruit, plus i could nuke them myself from early on.
apple flowers!!

I've found the simplest thing I can make that kids love is just plain old potatoes and cheese.
I put a couple potatoes in the microwave for 5 minutes (in a papertowel to keep in the moisture), chop them in bitesize pieces, sprinkle (or pile, if you prefer) chedder cheese on the top, and stick them back in the microwave till the cheese melts.
Of course, this gets more credit than any gourmet recipe

well, I agree with you on the potatoes and cheese, AS4------me too--hahahha

what I want to know is what a chicken in a basket is?

I live with my 6 yr. old granddaughter when I'm in the states and she loves cut up Gala apples (yeeha I'm so glad) but tonight she wanted them deskinned...........nope not happening.........the skin is the best part.........she frowned but was distracted by Miley Cyrus.........when it was bathtime with Mum I was putting an empty plate into the dishwasher...........she loves fruit..........and cut up carrots with low-fat Ranch

I want to know all about these chicken in a basket, though, as she loves chicken..........

Great info, thanks!;)

Here's a recipe my kid's love and it's good for them too (shh!). I mix fresh ground pork with finely grated zucchini and grated carrots, a squirt of ketchup, some fresh ground pepper and Bob's your uncle! I form small sized meatballs and fry them in grapeseed/olive oil mix in the pan. The kids like to dip them into sweet red chile dip or tzatziki sauce or just ketchup!

Last edited:
here's a little idea my mom used to make and I make them now.

Hamburger top hats aka volcano hamburgers

I make these 8 at a time.
Flatten 1/3 lb raw hamburger onto a salted cookie sheet
Top with 1 and 1/2 cups mashed potatoes, like a mountain.
Bake at 350° F for one hour, top the potatoes with ketchup
bake for another 15 minutes.
The bottom will be crispy, the potatoes will get a little browned edges.
It tastes totally different if you cook the potatoes separate from the hamburger.
You can also sneak a chunk of cheese under the potatoes, seal them tightly.

I've found the simplest thing I can make that kids love is just plain old potatoes and cheese.
I put a couple potatoes in the microwave for 5 minutes (in a papertowel to keep in the moisture), chop them in bitesize pieces, sprinkle (or pile, if you prefer) chedder cheese on the top, and stick them back in the microwave till the cheese melts.
Of course, this gets more credit than any gourmet recipe

Believe it or not but my 2 yr old hates potatoes!! (probably the only kid in America!!) She actually made heself sick the other day because I made her try a bite of mashed potatoes! She use to love them the one day wont even take a bite! I know I didnt give it to her too much because I am mindful of not overloading on starches! I would say its a texture ting but she doesnt like any form of potatoe (except certain kinds of French fries and then she will only eat a few!)
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Believe it or not but my 2 yr old hates potatoes!! (probably the only kid in America!!) She actually made heself sick the other day because I made her try a bite of mashed potatoes! She use to love them the one day wont even take a bite! I know I didnt give it to her too much because I am mindful of not overloading on starches! I would say its a texture ting but she doesnt like any form of potatoe (except certain kinds of French fries and then she will only eat a few!)
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
My 6 year old is the same way - hates mashed potatoes! But he does enjoy the occasional french fry. Isn't it weird? My older kids are convinced he got switched somewhere along the line because he doesn't like mashed potatoes!

Re: posts # 13 and 16
Dina: I just saw this thread, and wonder if you have a recipe for spring rolls (from the Chinese restaurant in Epcot Centre in Disneyworld. I was there last August, and those rolls were delicious, not the usual filling of cabagge and beanthreads.
I will be grateful if you can tell me how to make them.
TIA.

Lucia

OK I loathed potatoes as a child and still only tolerate roasted ones. BLECH!

Kid friendly as kitchenelf said way back at the beginning is hit and miss on a daily basis, but kids regulate themselves more or less on a weekly basis. Here are some thoughts that worked well for my kiddos. (And I should mention here that one of mine is STILL killer picky and will pick out microscopic pieces of anything she deems inedible, like onion, or any cooked veggie.)

- Tortilla pizza - crisp the tortilla a bit either in the oven or in a frying pan. Then let the kids smear on their sauce and load their own toppings. One is usually more than enough for any little one.

- Fruit plate/Veggie Plate - I have a tupperware segmented container that I would load with cut up pieces of fruit or veggies with a dip center. That was always fun to find in the fridge for the kids.

- Tacos or taco salad. Taco salad is easier for you, but soft shelled tacos are more fun for the kids. Give them some topping ideas and you are good to go.

- Homemade soup - easy to have on hand in the freezer - let them pick out the coolest pasta to serve with it. (I always store the pasta separately so it doesn't sog out)

- Lasagna roll ups - easy to prep ahead of time and thaw as needed. Cook the noodle, smear on whatever you like, cooked chicken with some spinach or asparagus, or ground beef, or just some grated cheese with an egg for binder, and then roll it up. Cut it in half so that it is "kid sized" and place it cut side down in some tomato sauce. Heat it up in the microwave or oven and sprinkle on the magic parmesan cheese.

I've got more if you are interested, but these were standbys when I was busy. Good luck with the teaching!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom