"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes

Old 08-06-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Question Kid friendly recipes to share??

Any TNT kid favorite recipes to share? Esp. quick and nutritious for a working mom to make (I just got a teaching job, I start Monday! Yay!!)

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I'm chock full of stuff I THINK they would like, bu tonly 1 of them at a time ever does!!!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #3
Executive Chef

good thing I only have one!!!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:41 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
As long as you realize "good nutrition" is not a daily thing - look at it on a weekly basis - more or less. Daily just will not happen!!!! One day it might be nothing but tortellini with a bit of olive oil and butter and another day it might be nothing but fruit or vegetables, another day it might be eggs, another day it might be bread.

So, tortellini with a bit of olive oil was a favorite of my son's for breakfast. Eggs were a favorite for supper. He might just eat a banana with some peanut butter crackers for lunch. Or he might eat banana and peanut butter crackers 3 times in one day.

I really can't remember how old your little one is. How old is he/she???

Every meal was definitely not balanced; the week was perfect....more or less!!!

I also noticed that when we got home from the grocery store, and I had everything out of the bags and on the table, he would pick those things he "needed".

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:47 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
I also noticed that when we got home from the grocery store, and I had everything out of the bags and on the table, he would pick those things he "needed".__________________

How cute!

My DD is 1 and 1/2.....going on 16
Sound like she eats just as you said eggs one day with pasta for dinner, shes on a big hot dog kick right now but shes usually eats plenty of fruit each day,items such as fruit cereal bars from Trader Joes or apple sauce cups or lite and fit yougurt.....its just those pesky veggies that she is so stubborn with, she again had veggie soup tonight like always. I was just hoping to start broadening her horizons....guess its too soon huh?

I think its more my problem, I feel in a cooking rut with what I give her because she is being so picky! But I guess she is getting a pretty healthy diet so I should just relax I guess...welcome me to parenthood...worry worry worry

I still would love some new ideas if anyone has some recipe ideas. Thanks

Old 08-06-2008, 10:48 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
I also noticed that when we got home from the grocery store, and I had everything out of the bags and on the table, he would pick those things he "needed".

Mine just run off with the cereal...
Old 08-07-2008, 02:06 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

and legos.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:28 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I always tried to keep some stuf in the freezer that was fast but good quality. Fish fingers, chicken kievs, chicken nuggets. With all of these look for proper ones (NOT made from reformed meat). Sausages and mash is a perinnial favourite. Of course there is always pizza. Spagetti bolognese and lasagna are good too - you can hide veges in these.

To be quite honest if she is having a lot of fruit, I don't think not eating vegetables is a problem.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
Executive Chef

veggies in soup are eaten so how about in a chicken or beef stew or pot pie? Or something like Welsh Rarebit with veggie over toast or a baked potato? (Brocoli always tasted best with potato and cheese!)

The important thing is to not establish or to break the idea that if what is served is not liked, there is always cereal or bp&j etc. As a kid, if I'm anticipating "dinner" ...think last night hot dogs and mac and cheese...and you serve fish and chips and raw veg to munch which I may very well like a lot, but because my mind was on last night's meal, tonight's has no appeal to me...you get the idea.

Rather than set up the "what would you like for dinner?" issue, change to the "we are having ... for dinner." And include the child in the prep, even if that only means sitting and watching and talking.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
Senior Cook

I love the "we are having" as opposed to "what would you like"
My daughter in law starts every food conversation with would you like .... She ends up getting no every time and goes through a lot of choices. So, she's a short order cook all the time and her 2 kids are very picky. Makes me the grandma nuts. I don't do it when I have them.

also, they eat any time they want so they are never really hungry - after breakfast the little one asks for a "snack"