Making my own mixes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
It is often easier and cheaper here in China for me to make things from scratch. A Duncan Heinz cake mix, for example, costs about US$ 10, but I can make a choco cake from scratch for about $1.50 - I am good at shopping in the back alleys here ;)

I would like to make my own mixes for such things as cakes, salad dressings, corn breads and anything else that I like that can be made into a mix but I would like to make as many batches at one time as possible, then measure it out into my (soon to arrive) seal-a-meal type machine. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to mix the dry ingredients in such a way that the ingredients are uniformly spread throughout the whole batch?

I have heard of people going all out and using powdered milk and eggs in their recipes. Is this necessary? How would it affect the shelf life? taste? texture or nutritional value? I am thinking of making 3 months of mixes at a time and rotating so that, for example, the first Sunday night in January will be baked goods mixes, the first Sunday night in February will be savory foods, the first Sunday night in March will be sauces and dressings, etc.

I'd be interested in known the answer to the questions about whether or not the powdered milk and eggs effects the duration of the food or anything for that matter.
Sorry I don't have the answers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom