"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes

Old 11-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I braised the beef shanks. While they were braising, I sweated a celery-onion-carrot-garlic mixture (1 c carrot, 1/2 c onion, 1/2 c celery, 2 cloves garlic). Tossed the two together, added a shot of Jack Daniel's, tomatoes, cabbage, chopped chorizo, anchovy paste, a dill pickle (yes! a dill pickle), some dill pickle brine, white beans and chickpeas (already cooked), thyme, cayenne pepper, simmered for 30 minutes, removed the dill pickle, simmered another 15 minutes, removed the beef shank, pulled the meat off the bone, added 4 c kale, cooked for 5 minutes, added grated lemon zest. Topped with sour cream and grated fresh beet and a bit more of fresh thyme, chopped dill pickle, and lemon zest. Yum.
That sounds delicious, but I know for sure, just adding up your cooking times, it would not be a 60 minute meal for the average home cook like me.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That sounds delicious, but I know for sure, just adding up your cooking times, it would not be a 60 minute meal for the average home cook like me.
Not to mention prep times for all the veggies.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #13
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Baked pastas with any number of sauces, the addition of steamed vegetables, vegan cheeses are widely available now.

My sister made a veggie casserole, so simple and vegan, large-rough chopped veggies (zucc, summer squash, onions, broccoli, carrots, parsnips and the like) in a 9x13 pan, a bit of soy milk (or almond I would think would work too) loads of chopped garlic, cover with tin foil and bake for about 20-30 or until veggies or crisp tender. A sprinkle of fresh herbs at service, very tasty and satisfying for an omnivore.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #14
Cupcake

All three of the Wonderpots that I've made took less than an hour. In fact, if you include prep and clean up, it is still under an hour. :)
Old 11-07-2014, 05:21 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Not to mention prep times for all the veggies.
The veggies, spices, wine, vinegar, exotic oils are delivered mise en place, so that cuts down on the prep time. I, on the other hand, have to do the prep when we do a photo shoot. One of my friends who comes to help makes delicious potato pancakes (she's German-Czech). We're going to combine those with a variation of the German pork roast I make using pork tenderloin instead of rolled pork roast to cut the cooking time. Since I use apple cider to make the roast, we're going to add grated apple and some dijon mustard to the her potato pancakes. I'm sure we'll spend a couple of Sundays getting everything figured out before the photographer takes pics.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh, I didn't realize or I forgot that it's a delivery meal deal. That roast sounds great. Please post the link when it's available
Old 11-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I braised the beef shanks. While they were braising, I sweated a celery-onion-carrot-garlic mixture (1 c carrot, 1/2 c onion, 1/2 c celery, 2 cloves garlic). Tossed the two together, added a shot of Jack Daniel's, tomatoes, cabbage, chopped chorizo, anchovy paste, a dill pickle (yes! a dill pickle), some dill pickle brine, white beans and chickpeas (already cooked), thyme, cayenne pepper, simmered for 30 minutes, removed the dill pickle, simmered another 15 minutes, removed the beef shank, pulled the meat off the bone, added 4 c kale, cooked for 5 minutes, added grated lemon zest. Topped with sour cream and grated fresh beet and a bit more of fresh thyme, chopped dill pickle, and lemon zest. Yum.
Going back to your recipe needing to be completed in under 60 minutes, I still don't think it can be done CW, even if everything is delivered chopped and ready to go. Beef shanks are tough and I'd cook them longer than you did. Then there's the time it takes to remove the meat from the bone, in addition, the kale would need more time to cook than just 5 minutes for it to be anywhere near tender. Like I said before, it sounds delicious, but not in under 60 minutes.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:13 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Going back to your recipe needing to be completed in under 60 minutes, I still don't think it can be done CW, even if everything is delivered chopped and ready to go. Beef shanks are tough and I'd cook them longer than you did. Then there's the time it takes to remove the meat from the bone, in addition, the kale would need more time to cook than just 5 minutes for it to be anywhere near tender. Like I said before, it sounds delicious, but not in under 60 minutes.
It depends on the quality of the meat--we use grass-fed beef. It also depends on the kale and the size of the leaves. I picked small, purple kale (the one that looks like oak leaves). This type of kale tends to take less time to cook than curly kale. To be fair, I probably should use kale from the grocery store, but I refuse to buy ingredients if I can pull them from the garden. Soon there will be no more kale and Swiss Chard, so I'll be stuck using root veggies and going to the store for other veggies.

Aunt Bea--unfortunately, all your suggestions have already been made into recipes...this is the next step in the company's evolution--instead of featuring recipes by local chefs (the company pays for the recipes), the company wants to develop its own recipes. Since I am not a chef but have prepped and cooked a number of the recipes, I have been tasked with coming up with some "winter comfort food" recipes to fill in the rotation. I also know how much each recipe costs from the home cook's perspective, so am also looking at ways to cut costs (the lobster-crab-mussel recipe was ridiculously expensive) to help improve the company's bottom line. At the same time, I am also tasked with using ingredients that are "in season" and, whenever possible, locally sourced. And, more vegetarian offerings.

FWIW, tuna season in NA closes December 31st. For us, this means tuna steaks/loin will be more expensive than they are now. Although pricey, the price right now is the lowest it will be until the season opens again.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:21 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Foods that are in season available locally vary widely. What local area are you using as the basis of the recipes?
Old 11-08-2014, 06:31 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Foods that are in season available locally vary widely. What local area are you using as the basis of the recipes?
Eastern Ontario. We have had a late fall, so have root veggies, squash, pumpkin, apples, Swiss Chard, kale, cranberries (there is a cranberry bog about 20 minutes from where I live), leeks, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, and second crop peas available. Fall slaughtered beef, pork, lamb, chicken, duck, goose, and sustainable fish.

Tags
meals