"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes

Old 11-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Meals under 60 minutes

The company for which I test drive recipes has asked if I can develop some recipes for meals under 60 minutes, preferably 30-40 minutes. Anyone care to give me some ideas? I have several recipes to test drive of my own (wild rice walleye cakes with lingonberry ketchup/salsa, shrimp (seafood) corn chowder, cabbage roll mini meatloaves, a chickpea curry, etc.). Some TNT ideas for vegetarian dishes would be nice--need some of those. I have a lot more recipes that don't fit into that time frame. Nothing that has to be marinated or prepped the day before, nothing that requires a pressure cooker. I'm not looking for recipes, just ideas. And, homemade pasta is not an option.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
Master Chef

With the exception of soups and stews nearly everything I make is in under 60 minutes. Take a look at all the daily dinner threads for some great ideas for your project.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

At this time of month, I tend to start dishes that take a long time. Chili. beans, etc.

For later dishes, I tend to use some of the ingredients to make dinner dishes. Beans are great with added meats, Chili is often paired with hot dogs, vegetables with cheese sauce.

I'm lucky that I'm retired so I can take all the time I want. Some dishes end up being easy, some are more complicated.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:43 AM   #4
Master Chef

I'm with Kayelle, most of the things I cook take much less than 60 minutes to prepare.

I suppose you could stretch the time to an hour if you have an extra glass of wine!

I would back into this by selecting the food to highlight and then choosing the recipe.

Eggplant would be great with a version of Eggplant alla Norma.

Red Bell Peppers maybe a new twist on stuffed peppers.

Escarole bean and greens.

Kale soup with beans and sausage.

Pick one inexpensive fresh item to highlight and then poke around in your pantry for inspiration. Keep it fast, fresh, simple, inexpensive and if possible kid friendly.

Good luck!
Old 11-06-2014, 07:34 AM   #5
Senior Cook

i did a great tomato bisque the other day. Canned tomatoes with basil and 1/2 and 1/2 with some sweated veggies. Buzzed in blender topped with sour cream drizzle.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Vegetarian cottage pie. It's made with minced eggplant instead of ground beef. All the other ingredients remain the same but make vegetable stock instead of beef stock.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
Vegetarian cottage pie. It's made with minced eggplant instead of ground beef. All the other ingredients remain the same but make vegetable stock instead of beef stock.
Great idea. I should mention that the meals do use local ingredients and are home-cook gourmet meals.

I am test driving one today--no recipe, but I have ingredients I'm supposed to turn into a recipe--my starting point is a couple of beef shanks. I've got kale, Swiss Chard, celery, tomatoes, carrots, rutabaga, potatoes, bacon, chorizo, zucchini, black/red/white beans, chickpeas, garlic, onion, shallots, beef stock, polenta, smoked paprika, jalapeno peppers, lemon, thyme, bay, rosemary, chives on the counter. I have anchovy paste in the fridge...red wine and lots of vinegars, white wine, brandy, Jack Daniel's, and beer. Maple syrup. I'm going to start by braising the beef shanks and go from there. Not sure where I am going or what I'm going to do with the polenta. Right now I am thinking a onepot dish with polenta as the side...I cook by the seat of my pants all the time...but today is a bit intimating. I have apples to make into an apple crisp for dessert, but desserts aren't part of the deal. Wish me luck!
Old 11-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Great idea. I should mention that the meals do use local ingredients and are home-cook gourmet meals.

I am test driving one today--no recipe, but I have ingredients I'm supposed to turn into a recipe--my starting point is a couple of beef shanks. I've got kale, Swiss Chard, celery, tomatoes, carrots, rutabaga, potatoes, bacon, chorizo, zucchini, black/red/white beans, chickpeas, garlic, onion, shallots, beef stock, polenta, smoked paprika, jalapeno peppers, lemon, thyme, bay, rosemary, chives on the counter. I have anchovy paste in the fridge...red wine and lots of vinegars, white wine, brandy, Jack Daniel's, and beer. Maple syrup. I'm going to start by braising the beef shanks and go from there. Not sure where I am going or what I'm going to do with the polenta. Right now I am thinking a onepot dish with polenta as the side...I cook by the seat of my pants all the time...but today is a bit intimating. I have apples to make into an apple crisp for dessert, but desserts aren't part of the deal. Wish me luck!
I also have beets, Brussels sprouts, green cabbage, sour cream, and celeriac.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Under 60 minutes? Well, most everything.

The exceptions being beans or soup. I love to have something on the stove, bubbling away for hours, or a roast braising low and slow.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I braised the beef shanks. While they were braising, I sweated a celery-onion-carrot-garlic mixture (1 c carrot, 1/2 c onion, 1/2 c celery, 2 cloves garlic). Tossed the two together, added a shot of Jack Daniel's, tomatoes, cabbage, chopped chorizo, anchovy paste, a dill pickle (yes! a dill pickle), some dill pickle brine, white beans and chickpeas (already cooked), thyme, cayenne pepper, simmered for 30 minutes, removed the dill pickle, simmered another 15 minutes, removed the beef shank, pulled the meat off the bone, added 4 c kale, cooked for 5 minutes, added grated lemon zest. Topped with sour cream and grated fresh beet and a bit more of fresh thyme, chopped dill pickle, and lemon zest. Yum.

Tags
meals