"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes

Old 11-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Could you please let us know the recipe, it sounds nice
+1!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #32
Head Chef

I have a Fasta Pasta - still sitting on a shelf. Supposedly, you can make risotto, gnocchi, rice, vegetables & chocolate cake.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #33
Assistant Cook

Just looking for a post like this!

Everyone wouldn't believe that I got my microwave just for a week. And I now have no idea for cooking in this baby except to warm foods.

FYI, there's something to beware. DO NOT warm baby formula in the microwave oven.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandalian View Post
Just looking for a post like this!

Everyone wouldn't believe that I got my microwave just for a week. And I now have no idea for cooking in this baby except to warm foods.

FYI, there's something to beware. DO NOT warm baby formula in the microwave oven.
I take you made it too hot and burnt your hand on the jar. Also don't heat up a baby's bottle in the microwave. The nipple will melt very quickly. And plastic baby bottles do not stand up to the heat either.

Micros are great for a lot of things. Heating up leftovers, coffee, and frozen foods you buy in the store. Like Hot Pockets for a quick snack. I get the plain pop corn and melt my own butter. The so called butter in micro pop corn is nothing but chemicals. And you can cook a meal in them if you know what you are doing. I start my baked potatoes in one and then to get that crispy skin, I finish them in the regular oven. (Do not wrap them in aluminum foil) Done in half the time instead of almost an hour. And I don't heat up the kitchen in the summer. I also use it to cook the potatoes completely for potato salad. No lifting a heavy pan of water. We have a section of quick snacks in a cup. Like individual cakes, pudding, etc. Don't give up on your micro. It is a great tool in the kitchen if used right. It just take experience and advice from the folks here at DC. We are always here to offer any help you may need or answer any questions. Good luck with your new microwave.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Does one normally stir white rice half way? For brown rice on the stove top, there should be no stirring at all.
I didn't see this the first time around. No, you don't stir white rice when cooking it on the stovetop. For pretty much anything cooked in the microwave, it's a good idea to stir or turn over foods so they cook evenly. I've skipped this step before and the rice comes out underdone and a bit crunchy.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #36
Head Chef

One of my favorite uses, especially in the summer months, is Corn on the Cob. Leave the husks on and microwave for 4-5 minutes per cob. Remove carefully (very hot!), cut off the stem end at the widest part of the cob. Firmly grab the opposite end (with the hair) and shake/push out the cob from the husks. The cob should come out totally clean of any hairs. Season and enjoy.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
One of my favorite uses, especially in the summer months, is Corn on the Cob. Leave the husks on and microwave for 4-5 minutes per cob. Remove carefully (very hot!), cut off the stem end at the widest part of the cob. Firmly grab the opposite end (with the hair) and shake/push out the cob from the husks. The cob should come out totally clean of any hairs. Season and enjoy.
+1

So quick, easy, and good!
Old 08-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
I spent one summer working on a farm. When they brought in the corn for canning, I was in the husking group. The other group had wet cloths to wipe off any stubborn silks. The wet cloth took them right off.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
I don't really cook anything in the microwave except the occasional poached egg or a squash (to then use in another dish).

It gets used mostly to heat water for tea or to heat-up left overs. ;)
When I am preparing pumpkin for freezing, I use the micro. I used to do it in the oven, or steam or boil them. The oven took to long, the steam didn't always loosen it completely from the rind, and the boiling left to much water in the product and created more work to thoroughly drain and squeeze it out. The micro did it perfect and when I used it later after thawing, the pumpkin flavor was more intense.