Microwave recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like fresh corn on the cob in the MW. Puppy chow (Chex-type cereal with melted chocolate and peanut butter, shaken with powdered sugar) is super easy. I also make nuked tuna casserole and egg casserole. Stuffing is great in the MW.

I too use it for veggies and reheating. I like the caramel corn and rice ideas.

Last edited:
Have any of you seen the latest in MW's? You can now put metal utensils and pans in them, they come with convection cooking, metal racks so you can put a whole meal in them, etc. No more just your little MW that sits on top of the counter to just heat up a cup of coffee. My daughter went shopping for one during a tax free weekend. She was stunned by all the extras. :angel:

Sorry, no. I can't eat high-fiber foods, so I never make it. I'd start with 20 minutes, stirring at half-time, and see how it goes.
Does one normally stir white rice half way? For brown rice on the stove top, there should be no stirring at all.

taxlady said:
I don't try to make granola very often. I burn it too often. Same reason I don't often make cookies. But for cookies, Stirling is willing to watch them once they are in the oven. :)

That's why I really like the idea of making granola in the microwave.

Too funny about the cookies...I like to make cookies when DS is here. He will take over for me too.

Every so often I will take a plain rice cake, smear it with PB and warm the whole thing in the MW. The PB melts down into the rice cake. I use all natural PB. :angel:

YUM!!! That sounds lovely Chops :yum:

Oh, I thought of one thing I always make in the microwave.

Microwave Carmel Corn

6-8 cups popped corn
1 stick butter or margarine (melted)
1cup brown sugar
1/4 cup light Karo syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt

Put all but the popped corn in a 2 quart glass bowl. Bring to boil in microwave. Boil for 3 minutes.
Remove and stir in 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda (let the kids watch-it's kinda cool, but watch out-it's really hot!)
Pour over popcorn in a paper bag sprayed with Pam.
Shake!
Put the bag in the microwave and cook on high for one minute. Take out and shake!
Put it back in for another minute on high. Take out and shake again.
Now do the same thing again, but cooking for only 30 seconds this time and shake again. Repeat the 30 seconds one time.
Spread it out on a cookie sheet and let cool.
SO good!

Pizza sauce using a technique known as MAE, or Microwave Assisted Extraction, comes out stellar.

Just looking for a post like this!

Everyone wouldn't believe that I got my microwave just for a week. And I now have no idea for cooking in this baby except to warm foods.

FYI, there's something to beware. DO NOT warm baby formula in the microwave oven.

Just looking for a post like this!

Everyone wouldn't believe that I got my microwave just for a week. And I now have no idea for cooking in this baby except to warm foods.

FYI, there's something to beware. DO NOT warm baby formula in the microwave oven.

I take you made it too hot and burnt your hand on the jar. Also don't heat up a baby's bottle in the microwave. The nipple will melt very quickly. And plastic baby bottles do not stand up to the heat either.

Micros are great for a lot of things. Heating up leftovers, coffee, and frozen foods you buy in the store. Like Hot Pockets for a quick snack. I get the plain pop corn and melt my own butter. The so called butter in micro pop corn is nothing but chemicals. And you can cook a meal in them if you know what you are doing. I start my baked potatoes in one and then to get that crispy skin, I finish them in the regular oven. (Do not wrap them in aluminum foil) Done in half the time instead of almost an hour. And I don't heat up the kitchen in the summer. I also use it to cook the potatoes completely for potato salad. No lifting a heavy pan of water. We have a section of quick snacks in a cup. Like individual cakes, pudding, etc. Don't give up on your micro. It is a great tool in the kitchen if used right. It just take experience and advice from the folks here at DC. We are always here to offer any help you may need or answer any questions. Good luck with your new microwave. :angel:

Does one normally stir white rice half way? For brown rice on the stove top, there should be no stirring at all.

I didn't see this the first time around. No, you don't stir white rice when cooking it on the stovetop. For pretty much anything cooked in the microwave, it's a good idea to stir or turn over foods so they cook evenly. I've skipped this step before and the rice comes out underdone and a bit crunchy.

One of my favorite uses, especially in the summer months, is Corn on the Cob. Leave the husks on and microwave for 4-5 minutes per cob. Remove carefully (very hot!), cut off the stem end at the widest part of the cob. Firmly grab the opposite end (with the hair) and shake/push out the cob from the husks. The cob should come out totally clean of any hairs. Season and enjoy.

One of my favorite uses, especially in the summer months, is Corn on the Cob. Leave the husks on and microwave for 4-5 minutes per cob. Remove carefully (very hot!), cut off the stem end at the widest part of the cob. Firmly grab the opposite end (with the hair) and shake/push out the cob from the husks. The cob should come out totally clean of any hairs. Season and enjoy.

+1

So quick, easy, and good!

I spent one summer working on a farm. When they brought in the corn for canning, I was in the husking group. The other group had wet cloths to wipe off any stubborn silks. The wet cloth took them right off. :angel:

I don't really cook anything in the microwave except the occasional poached egg or a squash (to then use in another dish).

It gets used mostly to heat water for tea or to heat-up left overs. ;)

When I am preparing pumpkin for freezing, I use the micro. I used to do it in the oven, or steam or boil them. The oven took to long, the steam didn't always loosen it completely from the rind, and the boiling left to much water in the product and created more work to thoroughly drain and squeeze it out. The micro did it perfect and when I used it later after thawing, the pumpkin flavor was more intense. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom