"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes

Old 08-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
Master Chef

Mom's GLOP - beef, beans and rice

Ok - this is probably the first thing that Mom taught me to cook ... that she would let me do on my own - and I made it on campouts several times, too:

Mom's GLOP (the BASIC recipe)

1 - LB ground beef
1 - medium white or yellow onion - chopped/diced
1 - 15 oz can Pork-n-Beans
1 - 15 oz can Tomato Puree/sauce
1 - 15 oz tomato puree/sauce can of Minute Rice
Big dash of black pepper
Little dash of garlic powder

1. Brown the beef and onion ... drain the fat
2. Add the beans, tomato sauce/puree, pepper and garlic powder ... bring to a boil.
3. Add the rice, stir to combine everything ... bring back to a boil (you can hear it - it goes GLOP - GLOP) ... cover and remove from the heat ... allow to rest about 5-6 minutes (to allow the rice to "cook").

EXTENDER (more/bigger servings): use more/bigger onion and 28 oz cans.

VARIATIONS on the basic theme ....

YANKEE (SWEET) GLOP

Ok - maple syrup comes from up north - thus the name.

2 - slices smoked bacon, cut into lardons (chiffonade)
1 - LB ground beef
1 - medium white or yellow onion - chopped/diced
1 - 15 oz can Baked Beans
1 - 15 oz can Tomato Puree/sauce
1 - 15 oz tomato puree/sauce can of Minute Rice
1-2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
Big dash of black pepper

1. Saute the bacon over med heat until tender - cooked but not crisp.
2. Crank up the heat a little and add the beef and onion and brown ... drain the fat
3. Add the baked beans, tomato sauce/puree, pepper and maple syrup ... bring to a boil.
4. Add the rice, stir to combine everything ... bring back to a boil (you can hear it - it goes GLOP - GLOP) ... cover and remove from the heat ... allow to rest about 5-6 minutes (to allow the rice to "cook").

ITALIAN GLOP

You can go two ways here ... use Mom's basic recipe and add some Oregano and a little more garlic powder ... or replace the ground beef with bulk Italian sausage (sweet or hot - your choice) ...

RE: RICE - you can use regular white rice if you add a can of water (equal to the amount of tomato sauce/puree), and simmer everything (covered) for about 20 minutes - then move off the heat and allow to rest 5-10 minutes. IMHO - doesn't improve the flavor and doubles the time.

RE: TOMATO SAUCE/PUREE - you can also use an equal amount of tomato juice, or condensed tomato soup (just add 1/2 can water and increase the rice by the same amount).

Hey - this isn't rocket science! Add or change things as you wish ...

Old 08-16-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Master Chef

Ahhh "Glop" - a blast from the past for me. My first time alone at an "away" camp was a 4-day Girl Scout outing, & "Glop" was one of the campfire menu items we were expected to make. The recipe was basically the same except there were no beans in ours, & American cheese was laid over the top, allowed to melt, & then stirred in. Food of the Gods for hungry campers - lol!!

During the lean years of my first marriage, I developed my own version of this comfort food - "Tuna Glop". Once in awhile I still throw it together today when I want a blast from the past + comfort food.

1 (or 2) cans of oil-packed tuna, drained (I drain the oil over a bowl of dry cat food for my kitties' pleasure - lol!)
Approx. 4 cups of cooked Minute Rice
1 can of stewed tomatoes
Approx. 6-8 slices of American cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Combine cooked rice, tuna, & stewed tomatoes in a baking dish. Season to taste. Place cheese slices on top & bake until cheese has melted & everything is heated through. Gently fold/combine melted cheese into rest of casserole & taste for reseasoning if necessary. Serve with hot sauce on the side & a green salad.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

When I was a youngster in Boy Scouts, we made a different glop on our camping trips. It was a pound of ground beef browned with a diced onion, a can of cream of mushroon soup, a can of cooked potatoes and small cans of peas and corn.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
Executive Chef

i've never heard of glop but it sure does sound good
Old 11-13-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

have any pictures? : )
Old 01-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #6
Head Chef

Mac& cheese glop..

box of mac&cheese, fried up hamburger(onion is good in it), can of chili beans with the liquid...

Make the Mac&Cheese as on the box, stir in the rest...
Old 01-10-2009, 11:53 PM   #7
Sous Chef

glop?
Old 01-11-2009, 03:07 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Reminds of a dish my gran used to make which was called curry sloop. Can't remember any of the ingrdients except rice and curry spices but it had a similiar consistency to glop.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

There are a thousand ways to make glop... the first rule of cooking is that enough cheese and/or hot sauce will make ANYTHING taste good.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:48 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Slime is the dessert cousin of glop -- add enough whipped cream to yer basic other dessert ingredients as desired.