"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes

Old 04-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #11
Head Chef

I have a bowl of "Old Fashioned Rolled Oats" every morning and it takes very little time or effort -- 1/2 cups to 1 cup water, heating on med/high for 5-6 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed.

For those that like the "Quick Cooking" variety I use the same measurements but the cooking time is reduced to about 1 minute or so. Texture is a little less but still okay.

I'm not patient enough to do Irish (Steel Cut) Oats on the stove so I make in the CrockPot in a large batch and then freeze in single portions for future meals.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:12 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Many, many moons ago I work the overnight shift at a nursing home. One of my jobs was to set up for breakfast. That including preparing the oatmeal. Put the specified amount in the large pot and fill with water. Let sit. Morning shift would come in and cook it. I am not sure what the soaking overnight did, but even the helped liked it better. According to the kitchen staff, it cooked faster. I do know that they used Old Fashion Quaker Oats.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:11 AM   #13
Master Chef

I've never made instant oats. I either simmer it slowly with water and salt for about 30 minutes and stir in some butter or I soak the oats overnight and simmer for 10 minutes in the same way.
If you soak your oats they cook faster and you get the same result. You can place your oats in a pot, add a pinch of salt and cover with water. Then just turn your stove on in the morning, no need to strain off the soaking water.
I also can't stand the taste of oats cooked without salt. It's like cooking polenta or rice without salt. It tastes raw.

I eat my oats with butter and brown sugar or honey

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I eat the old fashioned rolled oats almost every morning.

Here is how I do it, (I like mine on the drier side).

Place 1 cup water in a large cereal bowl, microwavefor 1 1/2 minutes.

Add a rounded 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats, microwave for 1 minute more.

Let sit for about 10 minutes to absorb the water.

This results in an oatmeal where the grains are almost separate, I don't stir, I like it less "gluey"

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I also utilize the rice cooker to make oatmeal in larger batches.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I do the steel cut in my ricer.

Here's a link to making your own "instant" oatmeal:

Homemade Instant Oatmeal
Old 06-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I've never made instant oats. I either simmer it slowly with water and salt for about 30 minutes and stir in some butter or I soak the oats overnight and simmer for 10 minutes in the same way.
If you soak your oats they cook faster and you get the same result. You can place your oats in a pot, add a pinch of salt and cover with water. Then just turn your stove on in the morning, no need to strain off the soaking water.
I also can't stand the taste of oats cooked without salt. It's like cooking polenta or rice without salt. It tastes raw.

I eat my oats with butter and brown sugar or honey
I make mine with all milk or half and half milk and water. Lovely and creamy. And I agree about the salt even though I like my porridge with demerara sugar.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:17 PM   #18
Master Chef

I will only eat steel cut oats and I've never understood why everyone is put off by how long it takes to prepare the quick cooking steel cut oats the old fashioned way, on top of the stove in the morning. It takes less time to cook them than it takes to cook white rice.
Mine is ready in 7 minutes of simmering, and three minutes of resting. No big deal for a superior bowl of goodness.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I will only eat steel cut oats and I've never understood why everyone is put off by how long it takes to prepare the quick cooking steel cut oats the old fashioned way, on top of the stove in the morning. It takes less time to cook them than it takes to cook white rice.
Mine is ready in 7 minutes of simmering, and three minutes of resting. No big deal for a superior bowl of goodness.
For me, the aversion is the time that my brain is not working and I must be able to think to use the stove safely AND the fact that I am on the way to work...time to cook and eat is limited. I am NOT a morning person.

I make steel cut oats for the week and only have to warm them in the microwave. No problem.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
For me, the aversion is the time that my brain is not working and I must be able to think to use the stove safely AND the fact that I am on the way to work...time to cook and eat is limited. I am NOT a morning person.

I make steel cut oats for the week and only have to warm them in the microwave. No problem.
I'm with PF, I really shouldn't be using a stove first thing in the morning, a toaster is pushing it.

I just do old fashioned oats in the microwave. Never cared much for instant or quick. I do love steel cut and make that on occasion.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote