"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes

Old 04-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Oatmeal?!

Has anyone ever made their own oatmeal? Growing up I loved eating Quackers oatmeal before heading off to school. But I've got a urge to cooked some homemade. Any ideas or suggestiod?!

Old 04-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica_Morris View Post
Has anyone ever made their own oatmeal? Growing up I loved eating Quackers oatmeal before heading off to school. But I've got a urge to cooked some homemade. Any ideas or suggestiod?!

I always have a cylindrical canister of Quaker oats in the cupboard. I make the one minute version because I don't have the inclination to devote a half hour or more to cooking the 'good stuff'.

I flavor it variously with apricot jam, maple syrup, cinnamon and brown sugar, or blueberries and sugar. I love the stuff.

Also, there is a recipe inside the lid of the canister for the best oatmeal cookies you'll eve eat (Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies).

Old 04-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Can't mess with perfection

Love the Vanishing Oatmeal cookies. They also work well in bar form, and freeze wonderfully.

Some say steel cut Scottish/Irish oats are also very good.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm an oatmeal fiend, love the regular rolled oats, the steel cut and any other rolled grain mixture I can get my hands on. Just follow the directions on the carton. Increased flavor, increased chew factor, love the texture. Instant oatmeal tastes and feels like paste, to me.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Ditto ... perfection can't be duplicated.

Love oatmeal .. have eaten it all my life. I do the long cooking when I pick up the wrong container at the store. Really I don't see much difference other than the time it takes to make the quick vs the long cooking.

I do not like what comes in those little packets though .. it's slimy and just not good to me at all.

Brown sugar & a wee touch of milk on mine and I get that cozy comfy feeling that feel like a hug !
Old 04-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
Admiral of the Texas Navy

I like to put the oats in cold water and heat the water together with the oats. It results in a super creamy texture. Add a little butter and sugar in the bowl.....

Old 04-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #7
Executive Chef

For the first time in my life I have put myself in a position to be cooking on an electric range and have been surprised in how little time it takes to cook oatmeal. I am using oatmeal from a 50 pound bag of organic rolled oats. I put a cup of milk in a saucepan, turn the heat to medium, add 1/3 cup oats and cook for 5 minutes after it comes to a simmer. I then add maple syrup and cinnamon.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
For the first time in my life I have put myself in a position to be cooking on an electric range and have been surprised in how little time it takes to cook oatmeal. I am using oatmeal from a 50 pound bag of organic rolled oats. I put a cup of milk in a saucepan, turn the heat to medium, add 1/3 cup oats and cook for 5 minutes after it comes to a simmer. I then add maple syrup and cinnamon.
Are you now at a significantly different altitude, Beth? That makes a difference in timing, too!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Are you now at a significantly different altitude, Beth? That makes a difference in timing, too!
I am and I don't understand what that means. I have noticed it takes longer to reheat things in the microwave, but boiling water seems to take less time. And it is customary when eating in a resturant to begin eating immediately when you are served because hot foods cool off rapidly. The only baking I have attempted is brownies and they turned out fine.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I am and I don't understand what that means. I have noticed it takes longer to reheat things in the microwave, but boiling water seems to take less time. And it is customary when eating in a resturant to begin eating immediately when you are served because hot foods cool off rapidly. The only baking I have attempted is brownies and they turned out fine.
Less air pressure at higher altitude, water boils faster. Quick bread need a boost in leavening over 3700' and yeast products may not work the same for you. I had an adjustment coming from a higher to a lower altitude... Look online for high altitude tips for baking, which is what seems to be effected the most.