"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes

Old 08-05-2008, 10:01 PM   #1
Master Chef

Pita Pizza

I remembered another favorite. If I have whole wheat pita on hand or you could use regular pita bread.

Split apart the pita , toast it under a broiler or toaster oven, after it is toasted , add your favorite jar of sauce to cover both halves of the pita.
Add your favorite cheese and whatever seasonings you like. Put back under the broiler til cheese is melted.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Thanks for the reminder. I used to do this when I was in University. Haven't made pita pitas in a while!

Old 10-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

I love making thin crust pizzas with josephs flax seed pitas. They're the perfect size for personal size pizzas.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Can't fathom whole wheat pitas but a regular one sounds great. I may have to do this tonight.

Question though, because I'm a little dense, when you say split the pita, do you mean cut it in half or pull it apart so you have two completely round halfs of the pita? If that, what side do you toast and put the sauce on? The rough middle side?
Old 10-19-2008, 10:55 PM   #5
Master Chef

Whole wheat pita is great! Nothing wrong with "white bread" if that is what you prefer.

I have always split the pita into two discs - split between sides, otherwise you would wind up with pita "pockets" for a sandwich, not a round pizza base. I always put them "inside up" - but I guess you could do it the other way if you wanted to.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:08 PM   #6
Master Chef

Never tried it with pita bread. We have used tortillas before, and growing up we always used English Muffins. Oh and bagels, we have used bagels as well.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:06 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Whole wheat pita is great! Nothing wrong with "white bread" if that is what you prefer.

I have always split the pita into two discs - split between sides, otherwise you would wind up with pita "pockets" for a sandwich, not a round pizza base. I always put them "inside up" - but I guess you could do it the other way if you wanted to.
Thanks. After last night's dinner disaster (see the TJ's thread), I owe DD something good for dinner. Pita Pizza might just be the trick to appease her.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:20 PM   #8
Master Chef

You can use all kinds of "breads" for your pizza base. English muffins, bagels, a split loaf of French bread, Kaiser rolls, hot bog buns, hamburger buns, onion rolls ... etc.

I don't think kids are too picky - all they care about is that it has some sauce, cheese, and you call it pizza - LOL

(sounds like some adults I know, too ....)
Old 10-20-2008, 09:42 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Kids, no, teenagers definitely yes. Very, very picky.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:13 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
(sounds like some adults I know, too ....)
Shhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Yer gonna give us away!!