"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes

Old 10-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #11
Master Chef

i like stouffers fer lazy daze. usually macarni/cheese/broccoli, or veggie lasagna.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #12
Sous Chef

I freeze meals A LOT. Besides stews and soups, I make individual meals as well as family sized meals to stock my freezer.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
This should do it for ya

TNT Lasagna

I've been making this for years - I love a good, flavorful lasagna, too. I only use Italian sausage and real ricotta, along with four other cheeses, and I love lots of sauce. If you try it, let me know what you think. It freezes great, btw.
Thanks! I will try and give it a go next time I go shopping, which should be in a week or so. I will let you know how it turns out then!
Old 10-09-2008, 06:04 PM   #14
Senior Cook

There is a family owned grocery store near my house that has lots of homemade meals that are perfect for freezing - soups, pot pies, casseroles. I will pick that up for dinner once in a while but it's a little more pricey. I got a coupon for the bertolli oven bakes on their website so I'm going to give that a try next week - makes it really affordable.

GotGarlic - your lasagna recipe sounds good and looks good but I don't know if I'm ready for that yet, haha.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:37 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSides View Post
I make a lot of crock pot meals and end up making more than enough to freeze. I also go the frozen lasagna route since that is a time consuming and hard meal for me to prepare. I just do not have a lot of time in the evenings to cook elaborate meals, so quick and simple it is which is why I was asking about the bertolli oven bakes.

babetoo - what are some of the frozen meals that you like?

lean qusine-glazed chicken, spag. with meat sauce, lasagna, fettuccine alfrado.

michlaes eggplant parm.

marie callenders- chicken pot pie

corned dogs, almost any brand

TGIF- potato skins, onion rings.

there are some more , just can't think of them off the top of my head.

oh yes , tombstone pizza, reg. and mushroom cheese spinach i also buy frozen vegs. can cook a little or a lot. fresh go bad before i can cook them.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSides View Post
I make a lot of crock pot meals and end up making more than enough to freeze. I also go the frozen lasagna route since that is a time consuming and hard meal for me to prepare. I just do not have a lot of time in the evenings to cook elaborate meals, so quick and simple it is which is why I was asking about the bertolli oven bakes.
The reviews I've heard from folks who have tried the Bertolli meals is that they are not very good, and VERY expensive for what you're getting. Pasta, after all, is pretty inexpensive. so is sauce.

I don't buy frozen meals because they are very high in sodium and other additives my body doesn't tolerate well. When I don't feel like cooking, I scramble a couple of eggs, or cook up some pasta and figure out a sauce if I don't have any homemade on hand. A few veggies and a dab of cheese always works... maybe not enough to serve otherwise, but enough to put on the noodles.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
One with Italian sausage, ricotta cheese (I think that is the one that goes with it), a good sauce, and lots of cheese on top. Thick, saucy, cheesy, lots of flavor lol.

I make it with 4 kinds of cheese -Ricotta, Mozzarella, Parmesan and Romano. I drain the Ricotta to get the extra water out.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
I make it with 4 kinds of cheese -Ricotta, Mozzarella, Parmesan and Romano. I drain the Ricotta to get the extra water out.
Coooooollll Cheesy, just like me!
Old 10-11-2008, 02:19 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
The only frozen meals I do now is lasagna, still trying to find a good recipe for it that is done the way I like it: lots of cheese, sauce, and with Italian sausage.
I did try a couple of those crock pot packages awhile back, but it didn't take me long to figure out how to do it better from scratch. And I have been known to use frozen veggies, but not whole meals excepting the lasagna.

I find nothing wrong with Frozen Veggies. I have always used them and always will. I don't have the time or the money to frequent the grocery store. I do consider myself a "from scratch" cooker, however I do not live on a farm and work for a living. I also use canned veggies and tomatoe sauce too.

(I hope this doesn't sound sarcastic, I do not mean it to.)
Old 10-11-2008, 11:29 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
I find nothing wrong with Frozen Veggies. I have always used them and always will. I don't have the time or the money to frequent the grocery store. I do consider myself a "from scratch" cooker, however I do not live on a farm and work for a living. I also use canned veggies and tomatoe sauce too.

(I hope this doesn't sound sarcastic, I do not mean it to.)
I too am not above using canned veggies as well! Shocker! . I plan on getting more into making my own sauces and what not and less canned stuff, but then there is always a difference between what you plan and what actually happens!

(I didn't read your post as sarcastic, either!)