"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes

Old 12-30-2008, 06:18 PM   #31
Senior Cook

I occasionally buy things like lasagna, rösti (traditional Swiss potato recipe), and pizza..

Old 12-30-2008, 06:56 PM   #32
Head Chef

Trader Joe's has some really good frozen meals. I like their chicken pomodoro and their ham and carmelized onion tartlett is amazing. I've never tried those Bertolli frozen meals but their lasanga looks tempting. I make a good from scratch lasanga but it takes like an entire day (make the sauce from scratch too).

Sometimes it is nice to pop something in the oven, have a cocktail and relax while dinner cooks.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #33
Master Chef

Bertolli!! Yummy, I am eating the lasagna tonight. A little pricey, but, very good. If you eat more than 2 portions or there is more than you, you will need 2 packages. There is only 2 portions, about the size of your fist, unless you have big hands, lol
It has wonderful flavor and aroma though!! Bake some garlic bread and you're good to go.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:04 PM   #34
Head Chef

Because of food allergies, I am forced to do more cooking and avoid processed foods. It is not as convenient but I feel better for it so it is worth it.

It is one of the reasons I wanted to replace the freezer once they went on sale.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:41 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Frozen Stouffer's Spinach Soufflé is useful. I used to do a quiche using a frozen pie shell, slices of Swiss cheese, a sprinkle of tarragon, and the spinach souffle (thawed) on the top. I see there are lots of recipes out there for this product.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #36
Master Chef

Oh goodness - I used to LOVE Stouffer's Spinach Souffle'!! Unfortunately, the stores around here don't seem to carry it anymore, although they do carry other Stouffer's products.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonT View Post
Frozen Stouffer's Spinach Soufflé is useful. I used to do a quiche using a frozen pie shell, slices of Swiss cheese, a sprinkle of tarragon, and the spinach souffle (thawed) on the top. I see there are lots of recipes out there for this product.
That sounds really good. If it weren't St Patrick's day I would be making a quiche tonight. Oh, well, tomorrow is another day.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #38
Head Chef

I work week-days and I don't have time for big meal preparations after work, though I Love cooking, mostly only on the week-ends (whether cooking or canning/freezing/dehydrating foods.)

For sandwiches, I need to get a big ham and a turkey, prepare them, slice, portion and freeze so I can make some muffalatta sandwiches during the week.

Huge Nesco roasting cooking--chicken soup and spaetle. This freezes great.

Again, Nesco roaster full of Beef Bourginion, portioned and frozen. This tastes better after freezing.

Same with Nesco roaster full of Chili--start with dry beans, brown the meat and onions, add tomatoes and seasoning. Portion and freeze, another great idea that makes a meal in itself or over a potato, or rice, and it's better after freezing.

Lasagna, I make it in three pans at a time, parbake and freeze. Overall, making three pans of it, saves on dirty dishes, one shopping trip, and many meals. (a good investment are plastic containers/w lids for freezing)

Pasties, get my mom and brother and I together, we make about 80 pasties in an afternoon, par bake, and wrap in foil and freeze. Tips: make the dough in batches, buy the veggies already cut up and frozen (onions, carrots, potatoes), cut up roasts of beef or venison, add chopped rutabagas, top veggies/meat with a slice of butter and S&P. Split the bill and the proceeds for future meals at each of our homes.

Week-end:
If I try, I can cook a turkey, a ham, and a roast beef starting on saturday morning, have it cooled, sliced or chopped, and portioned and froze by evening to use in sandwiches or main dishes. I can fill a Nesco and portion and freeze it by the night.

Start over on Sunday, make another Nesco meal portioned and froze by night. Bake 24 potatoes, cut in half, make double stuffed potatoes, portion and freeze. On the stove, brown some chicken cordon bleu, set into a crock pot, make a wine sauce and cook, add cream at the end, portion and freeze (okay it's not so pretty upon thawing but it tastes great.)

After doing this for a few week-ends in a row, there's 3 months of portioned food in the freezer. (I've done it.)

Hope that helps, planning in advance what you want, when you have time, containers to freeze meals in, makes a big difference on getting things done. ~Bliss
Old 03-29-2009, 05:56 PM   #39
Cook

Thumbs up Lean cuisenes

these are frozen meals you can buy in any grocery stores they are so good LOL
Old 03-29-2009, 06:30 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlechefassisstant View Post
Lean cuisenes these are frozen meals you can buy in any grocery stores they are so good LOL
These are one of the worst foods you can buy. It's full of sodium and will cause you to retain water and can raise your blood pressure. They are also so small that it nearly takes two to fill a normal person.