"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes
Old 07-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

I took a little bit of everyone's suggestions I think! I'm calling it, "Quesadilla Casserole" and rice!

I put the chicken and some rotel in a skillet and put the stove on high, threw in some taco seasoning, and some butter (country crock, so margarine I guess?). I let all the juices evaporate (I assume they evaporated, there was no liquid left in the pan :P), and then decided to put in some cream cheese.

I didn't really know what to do next so I took it off the stove eye and came back to the forum. :P I saw Greg's post about taquitos, and decided to scramble some eggs and put those in there as well! I scrambled 3 eggs, put half in the chicken mix, and put the other half off to the side to add to some leftover brown rice later.

I got my tortillas out and asked my mom where she was keeping the stoneware (we moved kind of recently) and she gave me a mini baker. A whole tortilla would not fit... so I tore them in half! I put a little shredded cheese in the middle and then some of the chicken mixture and folded up the corners. I made about six of these (they reminded me of quesadilla slices, hence "quesadilla casserole") which filled up the mini baker, and then put rotel on top, and some cheese, then cilantro and garlic powder. Then I put it in the oven on 350 and waited for the cheese to melt!

While that was cooking I made my rice. I had a little of the chicken mixture left over in the skillet and added the leftover brown rice I had to the mix. Then I added more rotel, some garlic, some butter, and cilantro! Waited for the rotel juice to evaporate again and then took the skillet off the heat and added some cheese.

Mom and grandma said it was delicious. There was only one "quesadilla" left and all the rice was gone!

Thanks guys!

WildOrchid310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
We LOVE success stories!!

Nice job, Wild Orchid!

She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:39 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Congrats, Wild Orchid. I'd never heard of Ro-tel (guess it hasn't made it this far north), so had to Google it. In doing so, came across a copy-cat recipe that I might give a try when the jalapenos and tomatoes are ripe.

Rotel Tomatoes - Homemade Copycat Recipe - Food.com - 20049

I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote

chicken, dinner