"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes

Old 10-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Simple cooking tips with easy recipes

So I was looking for help cooking for my family rather than getting fastfood all the time and I came across Walmart's new cooking show with Cheryl Dent. All her meals are quick and she offers great tips for any future cooking I do, which is hopefully a lot more now that I know there are healthy and quick options that are way cheaper than eating out.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
Head Chef

Once you understand cooking methods, recipes become much easier. I like Julia Child's old videos.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
Once you understand cooking methods, recipes become much easier. I like Julia Child's old videos.
True... I'm just usually in a pinch and have to resort to less than par ingredients than Ms. Child's :)... lol I loved that movie so much!
Old 10-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
Head Chef

Less par? Roasting a chicken works with those you can get at wal-mart. It's about method, not using fancy ingredients.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I guess you're right... I do remember some show that had someone prepare the same meal using dollar store ingredients versus gourmet ingredients and the taste tester said there was a difference but both were very good.
anyway, thanks for the support
Old 11-28-2009, 05:03 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

We have hired a cook which does not prepare food as good as my mother but certainly better than having food outside. She does not charge much, only 300 bucks per person which i guess is far cheaper than having food outside daily. In cases where she does not turn up for a day, we are not left with any other option than to order from outside.
cookingexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Julia Child Quote

My favorite Julia Child quote sums up my philosophy of cooking:

"You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces - just good food from fresh ingredients."

And often you don't need very many ingredients either.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
Master Chef

There are some foods I will get at Wal mart, and some that I won't. i won't purchace their fresh meat. It is very low quality. I will pay the little bit extra from our local supermarkets, or go to our local butcher. The meat is so much better. I won't go into the horror stories I've heard about Wal Mart meat. I can't substantiate them. But I don't trust them either. I'll purchace name brand, pre-prepaired meats from them, such as Nathan's Hot Dogs, and such though.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
i won't purchace their fresh meat. It is very low quality. I will pay the little bit extra from our local supermarkets, or go to our local butcher. ... I'll purchace name brand, pre-prepaired meats from them, such as Nathan's Hot Dogs, and such though.
I am the same way, and I have found that the meat at walmrt is not always the cheapest, specially if you watch the sales.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I think it may depend on your particular Wal-Mart store. Mine has very good quality meat - always fresh, good cuts without obvious blemishes. A high turnover rate helps. It's also nice that a store butcher is available if you have a question, complaint or special order. It's just not very cheap meat, but keeping my attention as long as I can find markdowns.

My WalMart store is number 2 (The second store ol' Sam ever opened.)