Souped up Ramen Noodles - what do YOU add to make a whole meal (merged)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lefty7887

Sous Chef
I like to grab a packet of oriental ramen noodles cook per the instructions and throw in some leftover chicken and or pork and or beef in and some soy sauce or teriyaki sauce and if I have any peppers or green onion I will add them too. After I serve I drizzle a little sesame oil. Great quick meal and good way to get rid of leftovers. Enjoy.

There was a thread here not too long ago about ramen noodles. I'm going to have to find those and give em a try.

Thanks for this one. I still had some leftover pork roast and veggies. I boiled up the noodles and drained, didn't use the flavor pack. I added some of the meat cubed up, diced the veggies and added the gravy to the pan and heated through.

Delicious.. pork stew with noodles.... very tasty!!!

Both dishes sound really good. :)

The thread can be located under "BUDGET FRIENDLY DISHES". :):)

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading the thread in "Budget Dishes", I was thinking about how I could use Ramen Noodles with other leftovers. I think what I'll try first is boiling some leftover rotisserie chicken pieces from the grocery, then de-bone and discard the bones, keeping the water/stock and meat pieces in the pot. Hoping the stock will pick up enough flavor so I don't need the seasoning packet. Add some cabbage slaw mix (its just shredded cabbage and carrots) and some chopped onion, cook a few minutes, add the ramen noodles to the pot and cook till done. Maybe if there are some mushrooms or leftover peas in the fridge, they could go in the pot too. Does this sound like a workable modification of plain ol' ramen?

thanks,
Jeri in Texas

After reading the thread in "Budget Dishes", I was thinking about how I could use Ramen Noodles with other leftovers. I think what I'll try first is boiling some leftover rotisserie chicken pieces from the grocery, then de-bone and discard the bones, keeping the water/stock and meat pieces in the pot. Hoping the stock will pick up enough flavor so I don't need the seasoning packet. Add some cabbage slaw mix (its just shredded cabbage and carrots) and some chopped onion, cook a few minutes, add the ramen noodles to the pot and cook till done. Maybe if there are some mushrooms or leftover peas in the fridge, they could go in the pot too. Does this sound like a workable modification of plain ol' ramen?

thanks,
Jeri in Texas

I would suggest just not using all the seasoning packet. I don't think boiling the rotisserie chicken is the key - I think making a stock from the bones, however, would work better. I would hate to see you ruin the rotisserie chicken by boiling it to death. Even if you use a bit of chicken base it would be better than ruining your chicken and making the stock can be time-consuming if done right - especially for a bowl or two of ramen noodles. I vote for chicken base or even a vegetable base as your flavoring agent. This Thanksgiving (I'm also assuming you are in the US, sorry, I didn't look) make a stock from your turkey and freeze 1 or 2 cup portion sizes for just this very thing!

What do YOU put into instant noodles to make it into a whole meal?

I know its reallly bad for you... but a college student sometimes just doesn't have time to cook a gourmet meal.

So I was wondering... what do you put in addition to instant noodles.. to give it a fuller feeling? I usually put chopped up ham, some basil and bean sprouts.... but i feel you can add so much more to it...

anyone suggestions? :chef:

frozen peas, diced chicken(you can get it already cooked), Cheese!!

Another quick cheap meal... box of Macaroni and cheese and a can of chili beans.. make the mac and cheese, stir in the beans... Add cooked hamburger if you have it.

thank you for the good advice! I can see where the chicken could get overcooked. I appreciate you reminding me of that! :) And yes, I was thinking that the stock would be a fast flavor boost but I agree with you that its a lot of work for a bowl of instant noodles. Thank you again, for putting it in perspective!

Sautee some diced onions, add water, add some carrots, potatoes, green peas, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, bell peppers, beans, corn, bacon, hot dogs, whatever you can think of. When some or all of the above are ready, add noodles. Taste. Season. Enjoy. Dinner in pot, ready.

^gone?

hmm.. so per suggestion... i think im going to go with
rame + hotdog + corn + carrot + bell peppers + spinach.

^_^ gourmet!

what also is good and on the oriental side is that when it comes to a boil the last minute stir in a beaten egg, have a whisk or a fork and stir it in........it cooks immediately and adds a very creamy texture like egg drop soup to it........then toss in some shredded bok choy and bean sprouts........this is good with some leftover shrimp, pork and chicken and scraped cooked corn on the cob..........the broccoli slaw is good, too...........this is one my husband's and mine's favorite lunch meal on the weekends ..............

Ahhhh, Ramen noodles.. my friend when I was going to college. I like to saute some onion and add cheese to chicken-flavored ramen soup. Some people I work with snear at that, but I LOVED It.

The noodles are also great for stir-fries... and use the seasoning packet for the sauce.... add everything from broccoli to water chestnuts, and you have a meal! Kitchenelf mentioned not to use the whole seasoning packet, and this is where I would add sparingly, when making a sauce.... could turn out very salty.

The noodles could also make a great side dish.... to whatever flavor you're using... chicken, beef or seafood..... drain out all the water, add the seasoning (again, sparingly) and butter. Stir, until butter melts over low-med heat. Serve along side your main meat dish, when in a hurry! :)

Or add your favorite steamed, roasted vegies over top plain ramen noodles!... leave the seasoning packet for next time.

OK, if you are using them in your stir fry do you smash them up a bit first? I never thought of using them for that. I always either have rice or the special chow mein noodles. This would be WAY faster.

OK, if you are using them in your stir fry do you smash them up a bit first? I never thought of using them for that. I always either have rice or the special chow mein noodles. This would be WAY faster.

I should have clarified.. I'm trying to decide on dinner, while I type.. :ermm:

I like to cook the ramen noodles first and serve your meat/vegie stir-fry atop... I guess it's almost like angel hair pasta. I made sure I drained all the water off first, completely. The completely drained ramen noodles serve as a bed for your stir-fry..... make sure whatever meat you use is sliced thin as it might be too heavy for the noodles.

In fact, I would tend to undercook the ramen noodles just a bit. Make sure you don't have a heavy sauce. That WOULD tend to crush the pasta.

Here a recipe for a different idea...
http://www.recipezaar.com/Creamy-Ramen-Noodles-133448http://www.recipezaar.com/Creamy-Ramen-Noodles-133448

Last edited:
I usually break them up a bit before cooking, drain, & then add them right into the stirfry at the end with whatever sauce/flavoring ingredients I'm using.

If my instant noodles you mean the liptons side dishes I put broccoli and usally a bit of cheese.

easy things to add would be smoked salmon. tuna. parm cheese. cabbage. sausage. etc.

Back
Top Bottom