Spiffed Up Jarred Spaghetti Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought we were talking about Heinz's premade spaghetti sauce. I bought some premade canned sauce by mistake just a while back while trying to get the right ingredients to make sauce from "scratch". I think it was Hunt's or something... but it was sauce that nothing else was technically needed to heat and eat.

GB, you may miss it because every store I shop in has it on the bottom shelf and all the glass jars eye level or above. DelMonte makes some (not very good) as well as Hunt's (just as good as Heinz). I'll pick up either Heinz or Hunt's depending on the price and which store I'm in. I shop Wal Mart, Kroger and Food Lion. One of them (can't remember which) doesn't carry Heinz.

42238CFtraditnal.gif

This is the stuff in question..... I think. right? someone tell me I'm right....

geez I'm going cross-eyed. I better go make something to eat.

42238CFtraditnal.gif

This is the stuff in question..... I think. right? someone tell me I'm right....

OMG - yes, it's Hunt's - every time I looked at the word Heinz I kept seeing Heinz 57 - OMG OMG - call me halfway to senile! I've never even seen Heinz spaghetti sauce - do they make one?

KE is actually talking about using ketchup. It's an NC thing... :LOL:

Payback for the Barbie Doll Playhouse vegetable peeler? :sleep::LOL:

Sorry guys - brain cell malfunction. Hunt's, in the can. Not the Classico. Suziquzie has it right!

Go ahead, whip me, beat me, make me right bad checks - just don't take away my Hunt's!!!!

Last edited:
Well here's the stuff I bought that I was told was just like buying jarred sauce. I guess there's a few canned sauce products out there.

Attachments

• tomato sauce.jpg
    tomato sauce.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 211
OMG - yes, it's Hunt's - every time I looked at the word Heinz I kept seeing Heinz 57 - OMG OMG - call me halfway to senile! I've never even seen Heinz spaghetti sauce - do they make one?

Payback for the Barbie Doll Playhouse vegetable peeler? :sleep::LOL:

Sorry guys - brain cell malfunction. Hunt's, in the can. Not the Classico. Suziquzie has it right!

Go ahead, whip me, beat me, make me right bad checks - just don't take away my Hunt's!!!!

I did it!!!! I got it right!!!!!
Now what do I win?
:-p

lol, elfie, you led me astray. it IS the hunt's sauce in a can. shame on you... :bangin:

but, we were thinking the same thing.

the point to be made was that it's a really good, cheap, basic sauce that can be built upon easily with great success. (i'm getting this "borat" vibe thing).

oh, and i will try the vodka. i'm not a fan of vodka sauce because so many of them use cream, but i'll try it in a fra diavolo. thanks.

imo, creamy tomato sauces have their place, rigatoni all romana for example - made with well browned sausage, but too many restaurants who don't really know good italian sauces use cream as a way of adding flavor and texture to dishes that don't need it; it's masks too many subtle flavors.

Classico I've seen and used, but not a sauce that was

i use classico or any of several very good sauces. i add many things, onion, mushroom, sautéed. either ground beef or sausage and sometime both. browned. olives, chili pwd. lots of pepper. Italian seasoning near to the end. find it tends to not be flavorable enough if cooked to long. i usually do this in crock pot and let it simmer on low for three or four hours. anything else i have on hand that sounds good goes in too. it is never the same twice, but everyone loves it .

babe:chef:

we like market district sauces (they're local, pennsylvania & ohio, maybe) though i love hunt's & prego!
hunt's is delish!!! with or without added ingredients.
i haven't seen hunt's lately.
my dear Pap added pork to his prego & i loved that spaghetti.

OMG this turned into quite the thread, LOL!! I have never used Hunts but am more than happy to give it a try. So, Hunts, red wine, fennel seed, and ground pork? Got it! But I do like to mix ground beef with my sauce as I like the beef flavored spaghetti sauces too. Or even better ground pork and cut up sausage like Kielbasa or Polish sausage. I could go either way, but I am thinking if I use the ground beef I should omit the fennel seed?

Pap used to use pork-sparerib. ground pork sounds great, i'll try that, mav!

for a different flavor instead of meat add canned clams or fresh and jarred artichoke hearts (I use the ones without the oil) delicious......my family loves it......I use a basic jarred spaghetti sauce add some red wine and depending of the taste some Italian herbs and add the clams and artichokes (I cut them up)....delicioso!

Back
Top Bottom