Taco Wild Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I came up with a really easy, and inexpensive meal the other day:

I make a lot of rice and freeze portions for quick use, I also use my taco meat mixture in lots of things and freeze some if I don't use it up on chili after making tacos.

I brown hamburger and ground sausage over a bed of chopped onion add a little liquid to cook them in then drain. I add a package of taco mix and a can of undrained diced tomatoes.

I defrosted some of each and mixed them together, tasted it. It didn't need anything at all.

The rice I used was from a batch I made with homemade chicken broth and is a mixture of Wild Rice with mixed brown rices.

Really yummy.:chef:

Last edited:
I knew I'd like this idea from the thread title alone!
Crisp julienne of plain lettuce, on the side or for garnish...
Maybe, maybe not, topped with some sort of cheese...
Easy to make, leftover-friendly...
Sounds good.

I couldn't believe it didn't need anything, plus I had enough left over to have another one dish meal completely ready in the freezer.

I thought I'd tried wild rice in every possible combination...never thought to mix leftover taco meat with wildrice. We do make a hamburger-wildrice-celery-mushroom casserole...but taco wild rice...that sort of stretches my brain when it comes to how I've always eaten wildrice...

Speaking of wild rice, I'm going to MN for Easter...I'm stocking up on wild rice (too bad I'll be too early for aspargus season, morel mushroom "harvest", and the opening of walleye fishing season...oh well. There's always wild rice <g>.

It was so good, I made a big batch of wild rice & mixed brown rice mix (Lundberg), today with turkey stock and water. It came out perfect and now is in 3 sandwich bags full in the freezer.

I think I'll go ahead and get another package of the rice. What's in the freezer will last for awhile, but I want more on hand for when I run out.

Last edited:
Sounds really good. Will keep it in mind for the next batch of leftover taco meat.

Any tips on freezing plain white rice? Sounds like a time saver. Does cooked rice freeze-warmup better than mashed potatoes? I'm up for any tip where I can make up a big batch for later when I don't feel like measuring, peeling and boiling. How do you like to reheat them?

Last edited:
Any tips on freezing plain white rice? Sounds like a time saver. Does cooked rice freeze-warmup better than mashed potatoes? I'm up for any tip where I can make up a big batch for later when I don't feel like measuring, peeling and boiling. How do you like to reheat them?

Whenever I make rice, wild or white, I make a double batch, 2 cups rice to 4 cups water, and add salt (check package directions).

I package the rice either in sandwich bags or quart size and stack them in the freezer. I like to do this as soon as possible after cooking, nuking is the easiest way to reheat.

I do mashed potatoes the same way. Really handy. Make it once, serve it several times without the work and dirty dishes.

It was so good, I made a big batch of wild rice & mixed brown rice mix (Lundberg), today with turkey stock and water. It came out perfect and now is in 3 sandwich bags full in the freezer.

I think I'll go ahead and get another package of the rice. What's in the freezer will last for awhile, but I want more on hand for when I run out.

I just made up a kick butt batch of rice...more on it later as it is a portion of my Challenge Meal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom