To me it is pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
When all else fails, I can boil some pasta (if you're really looking for fast, go with a thin spaghetti/angel hair/small elbows), add some vegetables from the freezer (they can be boiled together), drain, olive oil or butter, and a sprinkle of grated cheese. To add some flavor, instead of salting the pasta water, put in a teaspoon of boulion. If someone in your family has to have meat, chop a chicken breast, slice of beef or pork or a sausage or two. But this takes literally minutes to do, and is a pretty hearty and healthy meal.

I love the way you think, Claire. You have some ingredients you're thinking about, and a basic cooking method. Thank you for not giving a RECIPE! Cooking should be your inspiration of the moment, with the ingredients and methods you prefer, not a list of instructions that someone else made up. That's not as much fun as creating it yourself.

Don't forget the fresh basil and oregano in your pasta saute. Those fresh herbs will add a great aroma and flavor profile.

yeah, don't see why you can't add the vegetables to the pasta water... it might bring the temp down a bit, but crank it up high and it's not a big deal

no kidding! i am going to do that! saves time, pots, and makes certain we'll eat more veggies !!!!

I have been doing this for years. Here's another tip along the same lines...

Do you have frozen shrimp and you want to add them to this pasta creation? Just thaw them in the same collander you would use to drain the pasta by running water over them. Then bring up to temp for serving by just draining the pasta right over them.

The shrimp are gently brought up to serving temp and they aren't overcooked.

My kids loved boxed mac and cheese, so I would add sliced kielbasa and frozen peas to the pasta water, then continue as usual. It's a nice, kid friendly (yes, loaded with salt, probably, but it's an occasional dinner) one-dish meal.

My kids loved boxed mac and cheese, so I would add sliced kielbasa and frozen peas to the pasta water, then continue as usual. It's a nice, kid friendly (yes, loaded with salt, probably, but it's an occasional dinner) one-dish meal.

I know I am gonna get it for this...

This works with spam too.

... and it helps boil away some of the fat in the meat (before adding the butter and cheese........)

I do the same. You can also add uncooked egg noodles to your crock pot after the other things are done, and they will cook in no time.

Another hint...I brown ground meat in the nuke in the same bowl I'm going to cook the sauce or casserole in. Dump it in a colander, and drain pasta over the top. Same deal with washing away the grease.

I like to cook spaghetti sauce in the nuke. You don't have to worry about it scorching that way. Do cover bowl with a piece of waxed paper, though, so sauce won't pop all over and make a mess.

I often put the veggies in the pasta water. Since it is just me and hubby (no kids), I'll also put in seasonings.

Another thought for those who might not consider it, but it is pasta, is couscous. The most readily available in my life has been near east brand. I usually buy the plain, and all you have to do is pour boiling water over it, although I prefer to use boulion or stock. A little leftover chopped meat, raisins, olives, nuts, feta, spinach, whatever. It takes minutes to "cook" and you have a somewhat exotic meal. You can eat it hot or cold, and it is a real temperature savings if you, llike me, do not have a/c in your kitchen. I usually fix it hot the first night, then eat it cold for lunch the next day.

My favorite quick meal is frozen (or fresh) cheese tortellini boiled adding some veggies at the last minute. I also add a handful of sundried tomatoes. When it's mostly cooked I dump into a colander and use the same pan to make some fast sauce. Either a olive oil based thing with herbs and capers or a light cream sauce.

Plate up the pasta/veg mix add the sauce and a sprinkle of some fun cheese.

I like to keep some barilla tortillini on hand and do similar stuff. Especially in the summer when I have basil, chives, and other fresh herbs on hand (alas, they are going to be gone in 48 hours!). Again, this being about fast food made at home, I have always used Barilla, but that happens to be what is available in my small town.

Back
Top Bottom