"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes

Old 10-15-2008, 04:01 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Trader Joe's has it good point and bad points. My Trader Joe's is very small, their produce is always way past it's prime. Generally speaking, I am finding their quality is slipping, which is a same they used to have some preaty good products. I am curious what will happen when Whole Foods opens their new store about a mile down the road from them. This Whole Foods is supposed to be the second largest store in their chain.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Whole Foods is a good store as well. The one where I live is big and has a salad bar and deli as well. However, Trader Joes has a certain feeling to it. I only buy the organic produce because it seems fresher and well taken care of.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:13 PM   #23
Master Chef

LOL - running by TJ's to pick up a quick something for supper is really not an option for me ... the nearest one is in Santa Fe, NM - about 560 miles away!

We do have a Whole Foods about 12 miles from here ... I also have a Central Market about the same distance in the other direction - same concept and and I like it better. I could extole all the virtues of CM - but it wouldn't really do anyone much good if you live outside of TX.

If anyone has watched Alton Brown and seen that Kroger's in GA where he shops .... it's nothing like the Krokers around here!
Old 10-20-2008, 10:15 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Okay, I fell into the "try this" trap and bought two boxes of dumplings on Friday. Cooked them per the directions last night and they were horrid. Maybe if I had microwaved them rather than taking the time to steam them, they'd have been better. As they were even the cats wouldn't eat them.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #25
Head Chef

I have noticed that they are finally noticing the sodium levels in their food and now are offering more low sodium options--including chicken stock.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #26
Sous Chef

We have a TJ's in Ventura that is always busy, which means the produce turns over quickly, so it's always fresh. One of my favorite "instant" or nearly so TJ items, however, is their boil in bag Indian entrees. When I venture on out to Black Rock City, I take along a bunch of these, along with a bag of TJ's Basmati rice. I take a Coleman stove and a 4 qt. pressure cooker. Toss the rice, water and sealed entree in the pc, and in 15-20 minutes, a meal for two. I can also prepare more than one entree at a time this way. Meals in minutes, and a real treat on the Playa!
Old 11-09-2008, 03:04 PM   #27
Cook

I loooove Trader Joes, but I typically go ga-ga over their hair products (shampoos and conditioners) - Nourishspa is heaven in my hair. Also love their Lily of the Desert organic facial washes. The latter is also in Whole Foods, but TJ has better prices. Food wise I tend to shop more at Whole Foods, but you can't beat a bottle of 2 Buck Chuck!
Old 11-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

i just remembered that around this time, Trader Joes stocks pumpkin flavored ice cream. It tastes really good, so if anyone wants to try it, go to Trader Joes =p
Old 11-13-2008, 07:27 PM   #29
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks for the tip falcontook. My wife loves pumpkin anything and also loves ice cream so I will be her hero if I bring a pint or 5 home.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #30
Head Chef

I tried two new things from TJs over the weekend and I recommend both:

Burgundy Wine and Black Pepper Lamb Tips - awesome and quick. I served it with a Greek salad and some homemade rice pilaf.

Trader Joe's Sipping Chocolate - very rich, dark cocoa mix. Reminds me of that stuff they sold at Starbux for about 5 minutes that was really chocolately and rich.

Tags
meals, minutes, trader joes