Trader Joes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Trader Joe's has it good point and bad points. My Trader Joe's is very small, their produce is always way past it's prime. Generally speaking, I am finding their quality is slipping, which is a same they used to have some preaty good products. I am curious what will happen when Whole Foods opens their new store about a mile down the road from them. This Whole Foods is supposed to be the second largest store in their chain.

Whole Foods is a good store as well. The one where I live is big and has a salad bar and deli as well. However, Trader Joes has a certain feeling to it. I only buy the organic produce because it seems fresher and well taken care of.

LOL - running by TJ's to pick up a quick something for supper is really not an option for me ... the nearest one is in Santa Fe, NM - about 560 miles away!

We do have a Whole Foods about 12 miles from here ... I also have a Central Market about the same distance in the other direction - same concept and and I like it better. I could extole all the virtues of CM - but it wouldn't really do anyone much good if you live outside of TX.

If anyone has watched Alton Brown and seen that Kroger's in GA where he shops .... it's nothing like the Krokers around here!

Okay, I fell into the "try this" trap and bought two boxes of dumplings on Friday. Cooked them per the directions last night and they were horrid. Maybe if I had microwaved them rather than taking the time to steam them, they'd have been better. As they were even the cats wouldn't eat them.

I have noticed that they are finally noticing the sodium levels in their food and now are offering more low sodium options--including chicken stock.

We have a TJ's in Ventura that is always busy, which means the produce turns over quickly, so it's always fresh. One of my favorite "instant" or nearly so TJ items, however, is their boil in bag Indian entrees. When I venture on out to Black Rock City, I take along a bunch of these, along with a bag of TJ's Basmati rice. I take a Coleman stove and a 4 qt. pressure cooker. Toss the rice, water and sealed entree in the pc, and in 15-20 minutes, a meal for two. I can also prepare more than one entree at a time this way. Meals in minutes, and a real treat on the Playa!

I loooove Trader Joes, but I typically go ga-ga over their hair products (shampoos and conditioners) - Nourishspa is heaven in my hair. Also love their Lily of the Desert organic facial washes. The latter is also in Whole Foods, but TJ has better prices. Food wise I tend to shop more at Whole Foods, but you can't beat a bottle of 2 Buck Chuck! :ROFLMAO:

i just remembered that around this time, Trader Joes stocks pumpkin flavored ice cream. It tastes really good, so if anyone wants to try it, go to Trader Joes =p

Thanks for the tip falcontook. My wife loves pumpkin anything and also loves ice cream so I will be her hero if I bring a pint or 5 home.

I tried two new things from TJs over the weekend and I recommend both:

Burgundy Wine and Black Pepper Lamb Tips - awesome and quick. I served it with a Greek salad and some homemade rice pilaf.

Trader Joe's Sipping Chocolate - very rich, dark cocoa mix. Reminds me of that stuff they sold at Starbux for about 5 minutes that was really chocolately and rich.

I absolutely love Trader Joe!! Their products are healthy-oriented and they always have new seasonal stuff - keep shopping at TJ interesting! I like their newsletter too :)

I like the Frozen chicken burgers (lime) raw nuts, frozen oatmeal, sour dough bread. I'm with someone else who said they are under parked. My closest is Whittier.

Today, I bought white and brown sugar, TJ jams, unsalted peanut butter, organic chicken and chocolate covered almonds. I really enjoy the Orland Park, IL store. It is spacious and everything is very fresh.

My faves are the indian simmer sauces, naan bread, vegetarian pizza, fresh spring rolls, spicy california rolls, chicken chili, they have some instant soups too I think they are thai flavored...garlic and spring onion are the best flavors. I also buy a lot of the salads and frozen pastas...oh and this new years eve my dh got us a mango panna cotta (sp) to die for! YUM... I <3 TJs...

oh and i agree that parking is always a drag...no matter the location.

My faves are the indian simmer sauces, naan bread, vegetarian pizza, fresh spring rolls, spicy california rolls, chicken chili, they have some instant soups too I think they are thai flavored...garlic and spring onion are the best flavors. I also buy a lot of the salads and frozen pastas...oh and this new years eve my dh got us a mango panna cotta (sp) to die for! YUM... I <3 TJs...

oh and i agree that parking is always a drag...no matter the location.
If you see them they have mushrooms in pastry that look like little half moons, you bake and eat..Fantastic;)
kadesma

Good one GB. I can spend a long time at Trader Joe's I like to browse all the unique items they have and some of it is really odd like sunflower seed butter :) but it's still fun to explore.

Trader Joe's is the BEST! The strawberry mochi is amazinggggg! I can also munch on the white cheddar popcorn all day long lol. I'm going to apply there for a summer job!

Back
Top Bottom