"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2017, 12:20 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

What are your faves?

What are your favorite quick, fairly cheap and ready within an hour meals?

I love making things from scratch but cooking for a lot of people I sometimes have to make what is going to feed everyone fast lol.

My favorites:

Chicken pot pie--rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken, diced carrots, onion and celery or sometimes just a bag or can of frozen carrots and peas, a can of cream of chicken soup & celery/mushroom etc, about a cup of milk and top with a roll crescent rolls, and bake for about 30 minutes.

Baked Ravioli--two jars of marinara, a bag and a half of frozen ravioli, shredded mozzarella...alternate layers of sauce, ravioli, and top with cheese. Ready in 30-45 minutes.

Beans/Rice/Sausage ----Sliced smoked sausage or kielbasa, box of yellow or cajun rice, and a can of black beans. Ready in minutes and fills you up!

Old 04-26-2017, 01:18 AM   #2
Head Chef

Chicken fried rice, fried diced chicken ( flavoured with soy, ginger corinader), frozen pea, cooked rice mixed in a frying pan and heated.

Otto Pasta: Broth cooked pasta, with diced bell pepper, peas and corn and ham , served with sour cream dressing. This served warm. If it is cold and mixed with the dressing then it is pasta salad.

Anything with falukorv, a Swedish sausage that is used instead of meat in some dishes.

Corn Chowder: Corn, milk, cream, onion, spices mixed smoothed, cooked with stock cube, cheese stirred in served with nachos and bacon.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:59 AM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Cream of ____ soups are quick and easy. Butter Roux, frozen veggies (thawed), water, salt and pepper, cream.

Tuna Melts. tuna, mayo, cheese, bread
Old 04-26-2017, 06:34 AM   #4
Master Chef

Made ahead soups, stews, casseroles and sauces. We usually make a few dishes over the weekend to have as either "just heat it up" one pot meals, pasta sauces where you just heat it up and cook the pasta or double pans where one is for dinner and one is frozen such as lasagna or stuffed shells.

This past Sunday I made a Red Posole, from the May BA mag , which we had last night with some flour tortillas. The recipe needed a lot of tweaking. About every 6 months, we'll grind, stuff and smoke (if required) 20 to 30 pounds of Cajun sausages and tasso to freeze.

Seafood, IMO isn't a "do ahead" thing. But then again, I'm a snob when it comes to seafood.

I will say that we don't often repeat meals, with the exception of leftovers for breakfast/lunch, in the same month.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:48 PM   #5
Head Chef

Here is a really easy one. A large can of black beans, a small can of Rotel tomatoes & chilis, and some kind of diced up meat, like ham or smoked sausage.

Put it in a dutch oven, or a crock pot, and let it simmer till you are ready to serve.

You can really make all kinds of alterations to this. The beans and Rotel tomatoes are the main ingredients. I sometimes add diced onions, or frozen corn. Lots of different meats work, too.

CD
Old 04-26-2017, 07:37 PM   #6
Master Chef

I rarely make anything that takes an hour unless it's a holiday meal!

When I need a fast easy inexpensive meal in minutes I make breakfast.

French toast.

Scrambled eggs or an omelet with whatever odds and ends I can find in the refrigerator.

Bacon & eggs with toast, if you have an extra half hour add some home fries.

Grilled ham and cheese on Pepperidge Farm Swirl bread.

A bowl of cheerios or oatmeal, add a banana and a toasted English muffin.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:08 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I can put together macaroni and gravy together in less than an hour.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Broiled salmon, peas, mashed potatoes, tossed salad (ready in 20)
Walleye, peas/green beans/asparagus, tossed salad (ready in 30)
Burgers, potato salad, fresh fruit (ready in 10--the homemaker makes the potato salad)

I love the pressure cooker for apricot chicken, beef stew, and pork chops. Ready in 15.

I have a window from about 4:30 - 6:00 p.m. before my Mom sundowns, so I've gotten really good at meals from scratch that I can get from prep to table in 20-30 minutes or less. Otherwise, I am throwing out my Mom's portion (now I am keeping a "chicken" bucket under the sink for one of our caregivers who has chickens...still working on convincing my Dad that we need chickens...).
Old 04-26-2017, 09:35 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

A jar of pasta sauce, some sliced Italian sausage or other easy meat to be sautéed quickly and add to sauce, and some Angle Hair or other quick cooking pasta. I always sautéed the meat in the pan first then tossed in the jar of sauce to heat up. Ready in 20 minutes.

Plate it, put a loaf of Artisan bread on the table with a hunk of Romano or Parmasan cheese with a grater and everyone is happy.

My kids always got home late with a huge appetite from practice of whatever they were involved in. By the time the last kid came through the door and washed up, the food was ready. Their favorite meal. In the winter it was beef stew that had been on low in the oven all day.

On Saturday it was always home made baked beans in a bean pot. Put everything in the pot and place in oven. Take it out eight hours later. Serve with brown bread.

If you have a house full of hungry kids, you have to have some quick meals to make for them.

Unfortunately my husband always worked the second shift. Having been on his feet for 12 hours or more, by the time with all the tasting he did on the job, he wasn't too hungry. Most of the time it was leftovers for him.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:16 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Hamburger stroganoff, I sometimes throw a can of corn in this and serve over pasta.

leftover chili served over mashed potatoes
Sloppy Joes, tacos, burritos. Taco salads
soup and grilled cheese
Breakfast for dinner. I like French toast plus anything else that goes with it.