"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes

Old 01-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Since my hands tend to cramp if I chop and cut to much I buy already chopped onions, I love oven roasted tomatoes but buy canned in winter,Kraft dinners here are a must for quick lunches for my grand kids. I'd love to make my own stock, but being tied up with exchanges it is hard to do, so I buy stocks.And I'm know to purchase pastry dough but have resolved to try my hand at making my own.
kadesma,
i buy the chopped onion and also bell peppers that are sliced and frozen (three colors) i also use a lot of frozen fruit, otherwise it goes bad on me since i am just one. berries mostly.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:14 PM   #22
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Kraft Dinner is known as Macaroni and Cheese down here in the States, jet.
sorry. Kraft Dinner is known as "Kraft Dinner." It comes in the blue box and is HEAVILY advertised on commercial TV. It is popular with children young and old.

You don't want to analyze it or you would have to flush it down the toilet. Trust me.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:05 AM   #23
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Did you try Googling Kraft Dinner? I get actual pictures and a Wiki article. Doesn't matter though, you know what it is now right?

Here ya go...
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2010, 03:06 AM   #24
Head Chef

Swanson low sodium chicken broth, canned San Marzano tomatoes or Bionaturae Tuscan tomatoes, Eden canned chickpeas, black beans, pinto, and navy beans (they're all salt-free), Harris Teeter brand salsa (low sodium), canned black olives, Harris Teeter Tomato Basil frozen pizza, which I dress up with fresh tomatoes, fresh mushrooms, black olives, Parmigiano Reggiano, and herbs and spices.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:23 AM   #25
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Did you try Googling Kraft Dinner? I get actual pictures and a Wiki article. Doesn't matter though, you know what it is now right?

We're good, thanks.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Canned beans, canned tomatoes. Instant Risotto, by Lundberg...very quick! I also keep a selection of canned soups on hand, for those days when I'm hungry but don't want to cook.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

I guess I look at this differently.

A convenience food shortcut to me is canned soup, mac and cheese or a rice dish in a box. Any prepared food that can be heated and go on a plate.

I don't consider canned San Marzano tomatoes or canned beans a convenience food shortcut. They are ingredients that I consider legit foods you can use to prepare a dish "from scratch". In the case of the canned tomatoes, they are the only show in town for 10 months of the year here in MA.

But that's just me...
Old 01-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #28
Master Chef

Rice-a-Roni 4 cheese and pilaf flavors. Tyson chicken cordon bleu frozen. Frozen chopped onions, hashbrowns, mire poix. Also Idahoan Instant potatoes.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #29
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I guess I look at this differently.

A convenience food shortcut to me is canned soup, mac and cheese or a rice dish in a box. Any prepared food that can be heated and go on a plate.

I don't consider canned San Marzano tomatoes or canned beans a convenience food shortcut. They are ingredients that I consider legit foods you can use to prepare a dish "from scratch". In the case of the canned tomatoes, they are the only show in town for 10 months of the year here in MA.

But that's just me...
In that case, my response is Near East Couscous.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i buy the chopped onion and also bell peppers that are sliced and frozen (three colors) i also use a lot of frozen fruit, otherwise it goes bad on me since i am just one. berries mostly.
They are nice aren't they? Makes things so much easier.Fruit I usually get fresh, as I have several grand kids during the week and Ethan comes here every day after kindergarten. Fruit flies out the door.
kades