What is your favorite convenience food shortcut?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, FrankZ! Or should I be saying "you're welcome"?;)

Just thought of something I use - a LOT! Pillsbury muffin mixes. Since I pack DH a lunch each day I also include something for "with coffee" for when he gets to the office. I'll use the mix as a base and then add other things like chopped nuts or raisins. I do sub 1/2 Egg Beaters for the whole egg, and use half light-flavored olive oil in place of cooking oil. My favorite mix is cranberry ; I add in walnuts and very well-drained mandarin oranges cut in half. I'm thinking I know what I'll be baking tonight for his lunchbag tomorrow....

If I don't feel like making spaghetti sauce from scratch, I use a can of tomatoes a can of tomato sauce some garlic, onions, g.peppers,some basil and simmer it for about an hour it comes out awesome and no one knows I did not cook all day

Here in Mexico, I simply can't buy many convenience foods, so I am not tempted to use them. The typical diet here is fresh everything...tortillas, fruit, vegetables, a little meat. But we have a new Walmart with a "gringo" section, and the other day I saw a box of Stovetop Stuffing mix. There was a recipe on the side for a dinner made with chicken breasts and cream of chicken soup (which I also never buy). It sounded SO good! So I bought it and made it.... yuk. DH and I each ate a bit and the rest was consumed happily by the doggies. But today I did break down and buy a small box of Bisquick (58 pesos! - about $4.25 USD). I love those quickie quiche dishes you can make with Bisquick.

In another thread I mentioned my favorite canned tomatoes for a quick red sauce (since I find jarred sauces way too sweet). Another is that there are several Indian foods that I buy (I think my favorite brand is Kitchens of India for the basic food, then Patak's for condiments). Which convenience products do you use for a shortcut when you don't have hours (or all day) to chop and simmer and bake, and how do you dress them up to make them your own?
Sweet Sue Chicken and Dumplings... Dollar General!!
Meal in a can! Serve over biscuits or just on their own.

I tend to use frozen veggies when I need a quick side dish in a pinch... like peas or corn. Sometimes I buy the "stir-fry" mix to make over rice, just cause I like the baby corn!

I guess I look at this differently.

A convenience food shortcut to me is canned soup, mac and cheese or a rice dish in a box. Any prepared food that can be heated and go on a plate.

I don't consider canned San Marzano tomatoes or canned beans a convenience food shortcut. They are ingredients that I consider legit foods you can use to prepare a dish "from scratch". In the case of the canned tomatoes, they are the only show in town for 10 months of the year here in MA.

But that's just me...

I think along the same lines as you do Andy. Things like Swanson,Stoffers, Marie Callendars dinners, etc are convenience foods. Canned bean/tomatoes/broth are pantry staples to me.

I guess the only convenience food I use is boxed mac n cheese (and not the blue box) or Pillsbury roles. Is Bisquick a convenience food???

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom