What is your favorite convenience food shortcut?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
In another thread I mentioned my favorite canned tomatoes for a quick red sauce (since I find jarred sauces way too sweet). Another is that there are several Indian foods that I buy (I think my favorite brand is Kitchens of India for the basic food, then Patak's for condiments). Which convenience products do you use for a shortcut when you don't have hours (or all day) to chop and simmer and bake, and how do you dress them up to make them your own?

Hmmm. I think I use far too many convenience foods to name them all. I think my favorite shortcut is the packaged bearnaise/hollandaise sauces. I use them in a LOT of different ways. I buy the International foods brand. Its usually just a buck or so and lasts forever.

I don't dress it up much though Claire. I just use it in different places than folks normally use bearnaise. We use it on tortellini, and occasionally on gnocchi. Not just for meat.

If I am feeling tired after work and theres nothing in the freezer, I will be known to.....

... snatch a box of KD from the cupboard :( I know.... let the flaming begin.

I keep a bag of frozen ravioli in the freezer, which I buy already made from the grocery store. I also keep my homemade spaghetti sauce frozen.

So my favorite shortcut is to put my sauce on their ravioli. Dinner in 7 minutes!

Since my hands tend to cramp if I chop and cut to much I buy already chopped onions, I love oven roasted tomatoes but buy canned in winter,Kraft dinners here are a must for quick lunches for my grand kids. I'd love to make my own stock, but being tied up with exchanges it is hard to do, so I buy stocks.And I'm know to purchase pastry dough but have resolved to try my hand at making my own.
kadesma,

Pre peeled/sliced sweet potato. I generally use sweet potatoes as fries anyways so it's convenient for me to buy them this way as they are sliced french fry style. I hate peeling and chopping those things. They are too oddly shaped.

Bisto - I have no excuse . I just love it .

Bisquick - I know it's just basiclly flour w/ salt/baking powder and what not but for certain things , I prefer it and it is easy to just pour it rather than get out the flour container .

Hummus - i could make my own but I usually find a deal that is for 2 so i can get two different flavors this way . I find hummus a pain in the *** to make and I eat a lot of it.

Heh heh Saph, we're speaking Canadian again!

Sorry jet, in these days of Google I sometimes forget to clarify things for people. Thanks sparrowgrass.

You mean labour with your favourite neighbour? :LOL:

To actually join in the discussion...my favorite convenience food that I "enhance" would be Hunt's Traditional spaghetti sauce. I add red wine and lots more dried basil.

I also like to take black beans, add lime, cilantro, and cumin, toss with some cooked rice and top with shredded cheddar and a dollop of sour cream.

snarky...that's another one!

Last edited:
Heh heh Saph, we're speaking Canadian again!

Sorry jet, in these days of Google I sometimes forget to clarify things for people. Thanks sparrowgrass.

I tried to Google "KD" but came up with nothing.

If I know I will be short on time or will just be lazy I buy the presliced/prewashed mushrooms.

Back
Top Bottom