What's your in-time recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got to get one of those grills. If I am stocked but with little time - I usually make mac and cheese with weenies....or franks and beans. If I don't have the groceries on hand, and no time, I get take out. :)
You can use a George Foreman to do the same thing..... or you can do it on your stove-top......find a brick and wrap it completely in foil.. that would be your weight.

I would have to say a breakfast meal, since I always have most ingredients on hand.

scrambled or fried eggs... bacon/sausage... home fries... toast

I've got to get one of those grills. If I am stocked but with little time - I usually make mac and cheese with weenies....or franks and beans. If I don't have the groceries on hand, and no time, I get take out. :)

Do you have a George Foreman grill? I got one (for free on CL) and use it for paninis. Works great!

You left out a step.

20:35 Scream loudly as the boiling hot Mac N Cheese burns your mouth!

I worked at a pizza joint all through school, so I've learned my lesson regarding scalding-hot cheese stuck to the roof of my mouth (either that, or I just killed all the nerve endings ;)).

breakfast meal and sandwiches with just about anything,leftover meats,or even veggies,cheeses,eggs of any kind,even poached or boiled...other than that,potato bhaji,or egg bhaji(a type of scrambled egg dish thats eaten with flat bread),chicken curry,i can make a quick one within 20-30 minutes,pasta with ground beef or ground chicken etc...

A meal in 20 minutes, eh? Where do I start? Thaw out some good stock and a chunk of meat, dice the meat, some carrots, maybe throw in a can of corn and green beans, season it all and make a soup. Forget the broth and add diced potatoes to make a quick hash. Spaghetti Carbonara is really quick, as is pasta with olive oil, herbs, and saute'd mushrooms. Poached eggs to make Eggs Benedict, or use eggs for a fritata, quiche, or omelet is fast. French toast is quick, or add ham and cheese to turn it into a Monte Kristo sandwich. Blt's are fast, any kind of sandwich really, or use leftover meat to make an open faced sandwich with gravy. Pancakes are quick and easy. I've even been known to broil some fish or seafood and nuke a potato, and serve up with one of the sotre-mixed green salads. Leftovers of any kind are quickly reheated and turned into something else, or just eaten as leftovers. Another favorite is VanCamp's Pork & Beans with a good hot dog cooked in them. We also stick hot dogs on skeweres and roast them over the gas flame on the stove, then stick 'em on a piece of hearty whole wheat bread with mustard and hot sauce.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. Except for foods where it takes time to develop flavors, or to tenderize meat (slow brazing), you cna make almost anything in 20 minutes, including stir-fries, soups, entre's, etc. It only takes abotu 10 minutes to fry pork chops. Heat some veggies in the microwave and cook up some mac & cheese, and you have a meal.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

My friend made me promise I'd follow his new blog. So, far...he's two for two. (Aside from his blog, he a great cook!) Here was yesterdays...

Pepper Lime Chicken:
2-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (depending on how many mouths you feed)
1/4 cup lime juice
1 tablespoon cooking oil (vegetable, olive, etc)
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 teaspoon dried basil or thyme (crushed)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, more or less to taste.
1/4 teaspoon salt
(You can add 1 teaspoon of freshly shredded lime peel, but it is not necessary. I survived and enjoyed the meal many times without it.)

Instructions
:
Broil the chicken about 5 inches from heat for about 15-20 minutes, until cooked/slightly browned. While chicken is cooking, mix together in a small bowl the lime juice, cooking oil, garlic, basil/thyme, pepper and salt. (If you choose to use the shredded lime peel, throw that in as well.) After 15-20 minutes of cooking time, apply the pepper lime mixture to the chicken. Turn the chicken and glaze the other side. Cook for additional 5 minutes.

Notes:

You can use chicken on the bone, however, I prefer the simplicity of boneless and skinless chicken. You may have to adjust your cooking time if you choose to use chicken on the bone.

Source:
Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book, 75th Anniversary Edition.

Another substitute for a panini grill (or for making Cuban sandwiches is to take two heavy skillets. Heat both. Little oil (I use a spray) on one, place the sandwich in it, then spray oil on the bottom of the other and press it on top of the sandwich. No, you don't get the nice hatch marks that you do on real panini, but you do get the same flavor and cooking effect.

A go-to for me is any kind of stove-top pasta (obviously nothing baked or large, the smaller and thinner a pasta is, the faster). For much of the year I have home made red sauce in the freezer from the summer, but love Del Monte diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano as a shortcut for red sauce, any kind of frozen veggie can be nuked, tossed with pasta, and seasoned with garlic/herb mix, olive oil, and grated parmesan, asiago, romano, crumbled blue or feta. To go Asian with this use ramen, rice noodles or bean thread noodles, the nuked frozen vegetables, and a bottled peanut or other Asian sauce. All are meals in under 20 minutes. You can make a salad while waiting for the water to boil, et, voila, a balanced meal in less than it takes to get carry-out or delivery.

I can knock out a Quiche in 25 minutes, or
Vegetable Soup with Rustic Flat Bread in about 30 minutes, or
If I'm really pressed for time I can always fix Shrimp and Grits, or
Biscuits & Gravy, or Johnny Cakes (fried cornmeal cakes) w/Syrup!

yea for johnnycakes!

i'm from newport. how about you?

I have to come up with something quick at least twice a week. Usually when I have forgotten to pull meat out of the freeze or time gets away from me.

-Pasta!! w / broth , splash of wine, fresh veggies like broccoli , tomatoes , celery, onions.
or w/ some cream cheese , fresh tomatoe and a bit of sauce.

-Rice
Cook up a few cups on stovetop/microwave/rice cooker. Soften some veggies;onions,mushrooms, carrots, sugar peas , peppers etc in skillet w/ some butter. Add rice and abit of broth .

-quasadillas
well kinda.
i make them in the frying pan. i just fold a tortilla in half and brush the sides with butter . flattening often with a spatula. fill with leftover chicken, veggies, cheese.

-veggie and cheese filled omlettes
-french toast
-breakfast wraps - scrambled eggs and veggies, cheese, in a tortilla

-roasted veggies
on a cookie sheet - broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, sweet potatoes. roast until cooked. serve over rice/pasta/salad

Basic recipe - I always keep filleted chicken breasts in the freezer as it is very versatile. Throw chopped onion and a chicken breast into a pot with a teaspoon of fish/olive oil and saute/braise/simmer till almost cooked. Cut a potato into smaller pieces (halved/quarters - depending on the size of the potato) and add to chicken. Season with salt and pepper and cook till done. Open a tin of baked beans/lentils/greenbeans and add to pot. Add any other spices/sauces you find interesting and eat with toast bread.
Enjoy!
Potluck

I often "feed the freezer" by freezing either entire entrees (usually casseroles) when doubling a recipe or individual servings with leftovers. I also keep things like cooked rice, beans, and pasta that are ready in just minutes with a dip in boiling water. I also like to put leftovers in a tortilla and then wrap in tin foil and freeze. In just 15 minutes in an oven, you have a warm and tasty meal. I like to serve this with rice. Our favorite, though, is simple Pasta Aglio e Olio. Even cooking with dried pasta, the meal comes together in 15 minutes. In the summer, I'll add a fresh tomato from the garden, warm and freshly picked and slightly sauteed with a bit of freshly picked basil... it's just delicious. Then of course, in the summer, I can have a nice meal from the garden in just a few minutes, anyway. [FONT=&quot][/FONT] *

do you keep your cooked rice, beans or pasta in the freezer. Do you just put the freezer bag right into the boiling water?

My best "In Time" recipe comes from Cooking Light's 15 minute - Five Ingredient Cookbook. It's a spaghetti with white clam sauce made with ingredients normally found in the pantry. Basically, thin spaghetti, clams in the can, a bit of olive oil, some garlic, and Parmesan cheese. A bag of salad mix and some crusty bread rounds out the meal. It's super-fast and super-yummy. For dessert, a scoop of good ice cream and two Pepperidge Farm cookies that meld nicely with the ice cream flavor. I can get it from zero to serving in 20 minutes flat. Easy.

~Kathleen

Last edited:
Fettuccine Alfredo.

Four simple ingredients (five if you add garlic) and in the time it takes to boil water and cook the pasta, the sauce is ready and waiting. Not only quick but supremely satisfying and delicious.

Quesadillas

Garlic and chili edamame

Store bought potstickes! I am a sucker for these and keep a collection of brands and fillings.Not really my recipe but a go-to food.I dip them a combination of ponzu,chili sauce,vinegar and wasabi.Just typing this is getting me hungry!

When I need something fast I depend on leftovers. I might make them into sandwiches as I did today or put them into an egg scramble or a fritatta. I might cook up some pasta and add letover veggies and meat for a pasta dish or use up cold cooked pasta and make a pasta salad.

Back
Top Bottom