"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes

Old 12-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer75 View Post
I've got to get one of those grills. If I am stocked but with little time - I usually make mac and cheese with weenies....or franks and beans. If I don't have the groceries on hand, and no time, I get take out. :)
You can use a George Foreman to do the same thing..... or you can do it on your stove-top......find a brick and wrap it completely in foil.. that would be your weight.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #22
Master Chef

I would have to say a breakfast meal, since I always have most ingredients on hand.

scrambled or fried eggs... bacon/sausage... home fries... toast

Old 12-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer75 View Post
I've got to get one of those grills. If I am stocked but with little time - I usually make mac and cheese with weenies....or franks and beans. If I don't have the groceries on hand, and no time, I get take out. :)
Do you have a George Foreman grill? I got one (for free on CL) and use it for paninis. Works great!
Old 12-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #24
Master Chef

What is CL?

I have a George and a sandwich maker... both can do the pannini thing.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean View Post
What is CL?

I have a George and a sandwich maker... both can do the pannini thing.
Craigslist.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:46 AM   #26
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You left out a step.

20:35 Scream loudly as the boiling hot Mac N Cheese burns your mouth!
I worked at a pizza joint all through school, so I've learned my lesson regarding scalding-hot cheese stuck to the roof of my mouth (either that, or I just killed all the nerve endings ).
Old 12-05-2009, 07:15 AM   #27
Head Chef

breakfast meal and sandwiches with just about anything,leftover meats,or even veggies,cheeses,eggs of any kind,even poached or boiled...other than that,potato bhaji,or egg bhaji(a type of scrambled egg dish thats eaten with flat bread),chicken curry,i can make a quick one within 20-30 minutes,pasta with ground beef or ground chicken etc...
Old 12-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Bump....for noahsmommy0716

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #29
Master Chef

A meal in 20 minutes, eh? Where do I start? Thaw out some good stock and a chunk of meat, dice the meat, some carrots, maybe throw in a can of corn and green beans, season it all and make a soup. Forget the broth and add diced potatoes to make a quick hash. Spaghetti Carbonara is really quick, as is pasta with olive oil, herbs, and saute'd mushrooms. Poached eggs to make Eggs Benedict, or use eggs for a fritata, quiche, or omelet is fast. French toast is quick, or add ham and cheese to turn it into a Monte Kristo sandwich. Blt's are fast, any kind of sandwich really, or use leftover meat to make an open faced sandwich with gravy. Pancakes are quick and easy. I've even been known to broil some fish or seafood and nuke a potato, and serve up with one of the sotre-mixed green salads. Leftovers of any kind are quickly reheated and turned into something else, or just eaten as leftovers. Another favorite is VanCamp's Pork & Beans with a good hot dog cooked in them. We also stick hot dogs on skeweres and roast them over the gas flame on the stove, then stick 'em on a piece of hearty whole wheat bread with mustard and hot sauce.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. Except for foods where it takes time to develop flavors, or to tenderize meat (slow brazing), you cna make almost anything in 20 minutes, including stir-fries, soups, entre's, etc. It only takes abotu 10 minutes to fry pork chops. Heat some veggies in the microwave and cook up some mac & cheese, and you have a meal.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

My friend made me promise I'd follow his new blog. So, far...he's two for two. (Aside from his blog, he a great cook!) Here was yesterdays...

Pepper Lime Chicken:
2-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (depending on how many mouths you feed)
1/4 cup lime juice
1 tablespoon cooking oil (vegetable, olive, etc)
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 teaspoon dried basil or thyme (crushed)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, more or less to taste.
1/4 teaspoon salt
(You can add 1 teaspoon of freshly shredded lime peel, but it is not necessary. I survived and enjoyed the meal many times without it.)

Instructions
:
Broil the chicken about 5 inches from heat for about 15-20 minutes, until cooked/slightly browned. While chicken is cooking, mix together in a small bowl the lime juice, cooking oil, garlic, basil/thyme, pepper and salt. (If you choose to use the shredded lime peel, throw that in as well.) After 15-20 minutes of cooking time, apply the pepper lime mixture to the chicken. Turn the chicken and glaze the other side. Cook for additional 5 minutes.

Notes:

You can use chicken on the bone, however, I prefer the simplicity of boneless and skinless chicken. You may have to adjust your cooking time if you choose to use chicken on the bone.

Source:
Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book, 75th Anniversary Edition.

Tags
cooking, fast, recipe