"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes
Old 01-09-2010, 07:01 AM   #31
Master Chef
Another substitute for a panini grill (or for making Cuban sandwiches is to take two heavy skillets. Heat both. Little oil (I use a spray) on one, place the sandwich in it, then spray oil on the bottom of the other and press it on top of the sandwich. No, you don't get the nice hatch marks that you do on real panini, but you do get the same flavor and cooking effect.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #32
Master Chef
A go-to for me is any kind of stove-top pasta (obviously nothing baked or large, the smaller and thinner a pasta is, the faster). For much of the year I have home made red sauce in the freezer from the summer, but love Del Monte diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano as a shortcut for red sauce, any kind of frozen veggie can be nuked, tossed with pasta, and seasoned with garlic/herb mix, olive oil, and grated parmesan, asiago, romano, crumbled blue or feta. To go Asian with this use ramen, rice noodles or bean thread noodles, the nuked frozen vegetables, and a bottled peanut or other Asian sauce. All are meals in under 20 minutes. You can make a salad while waiting for the water to boil, et, voila, a balanced meal in less than it takes to get carry-out or delivery.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #33
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I can knock out a Quiche in 25 minutes, or
Vegetable Soup with Rustic Flat Bread in about 30 minutes, or
If I'm really pressed for time I can always fix Shrimp and Grits, or
Biscuits & Gravy, or Johnny Cakes (fried cornmeal cakes) w/Syrup!
yea for johnnycakes!

i'm from newport. how about you?
let me make sure that wine's ok before i use it.
philso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #34
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to Deathbysoup
I have to come up with something quick at least twice a week. Usually when I have forgotten to pull meat out of the freeze or time gets away from me.

-Pasta!! w / broth , splash of wine, fresh veggies like broccoli , tomatoes , celery, onions.
or w/ some cream cheese , fresh tomatoe and a bit of sauce.

Cook up a few cups on stovetop/microwave/rice cooker. Soften some veggies;onions,mushrooms, carrots, sugar peas , peppers etc in skillet w/ some butter. Add rice and abit of broth .

well kinda.
i make them in the frying pan. i just fold a tortilla in half and brush the sides with butter . flattening often with a spatula. fill with leftover chicken, veggies, cheese.

-veggie and cheese filled omlettes
-french toast
-breakfast wraps - scrambled eggs and veggies, cheese, in a tortilla

-roasted veggies
on a cookie sheet - broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, sweet potatoes. roast until cooked. serve over rice/pasta/salad
Deathbysoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:07 AM   #35
Assistant Cook
Basic recipe - I always keep filleted chicken breasts in the freezer as it is very versatile. Throw chopped onion and a chicken breast into a pot with a teaspoon of fish/olive oil and saute/braise/simmer till almost cooked. Cut a potato into smaller pieces (halved/quarters - depending on the size of the potato) and add to chicken. Season with salt and pepper and cook till done. Open a tin of baked beans/lentils/greenbeans and add to pot. Add any other spices/sauces you find interesting and eat with toast bread.
Potluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #36
Head Chef
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
I often "feed the freezer" by freezing either entire entrees (usually casseroles) when doubling a recipe or individual servings with leftovers. I also keep things like cooked rice, beans, and pasta that are ready in just minutes with a dip in boiling water. I also like to put leftovers in a tortilla and then wrap in tin foil and freeze. In just 15 minutes in an oven, you have a warm and tasty meal. I like to serve this with rice. Our favorite, though, is simple Pasta Aglio e Olio. Even cooking with dried pasta, the meal comes together in 15 minutes. In the summer, I'll add a fresh tomato from the garden, warm and freshly picked and slightly sauteed with a bit of freshly picked basil... it's just delicious. Then of course, in the summer, I can have a nice meal from the garden in just a few minutes, anyway. *
do you keep your cooked rice, beans or pasta in the freezer. Do you just put the freezer bag right into the boiling water?
My Blog
legend_018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #37
My best "In Time" recipe comes from Cooking Light's 15 minute - Five Ingredient Cookbook. It's a spaghetti with white clam sauce made with ingredients normally found in the pantry. Basically, thin spaghetti, clams in the can, a bit of olive oil, some garlic, and Parmesan cheese. A bag of salad mix and some crusty bread rounds out the meal. It's super-fast and super-yummy. For dessert, a scoop of good ice cream and two Pepperidge Farm cookies that meld nicely with the ice cream flavor. I can get it from zero to serving in 20 minutes flat. Easy.

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:56 PM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef
Fettuccine Alfredo.

Four simple ingredients (five if you add garlic) and in the time it takes to boil water and cook the pasta, the sauce is ready and waiting. Not only quick but supremely satisfying and delicious.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:07 PM   #39
Half Baked

Garlic and chili edamame

Store bought potstickes! I am a sucker for these and keep a collection of brands and fillings.Not really my recipe but a go-to food.I dip them a combination of ponzu,chili sauce,vinegar and wasabi.Just typing this is getting me hungry!
Just be yourself! Everyone else is taken.

My Flickr stuff!
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:59 PM   #40
Head Chef
When I need something fast I depend on leftovers. I might make them into sandwiches as I did today or put them into an egg scramble or a fritatta. I might cook up some pasta and add letover veggies and meat for a pasta dish or use up cold cooked pasta and make a pasta salad.

joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote

cooking, fast, recipe