"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 06-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Executive Chef

8 Rosés from Spain Worth Mentioning

Buonsera, Ladies & Gents,

The Iberian Peninsula has its fair share of lovely wines and 75 Controlled Designations of Origin.

What is your viewpoint on Rosés and Oak Aged Rosés ? Do you have a favourite summer Rosé ?

Here are 8 that even non wine aficionados shall enjoy with a few ice cubes and a slice of lime or lemon and a spritz of club soda, which turns the Rosé into a Rosado de Verano ( Summer Rosé ) ...

1) D.O. Ribera de Duero, Valladolid: PRADO REY Rosado Fermented in Oak 2011

2) D.O. La Rioja: ALMA ROBÍA Oak Aged 2010

3) D.O. Navarra: ALBRET Oak Fermented 2011

4) D.O. Alicant: CESILIA Oak Fermented 2011

5) D.O. La Rioja: MUGA Oak Aged 2011

6) D.O. Navarra: Gran Freudo Sobre Lías 2010 - Julian Chivite

7) D.O. Girona, Catalonia: TERRA REMOTA CAMINITO 2011 Oak Aged

8) D.O. Cuenca, Castilla La Mancha: FRONTAL SOBRE 2011 Oak Aged

Kind regards
Have a nice wkend.
Ciao.
Margaux Cintrano.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Executive Chef

What's your opinion on the 2009 Tapeña Rosé España I just opened the other day? To tell you the truth, I prefer Crios Rosé of Malbec from Argentina, but the only Rosé I had in the cellar was the Tapeña. I really need to re-stock for the summer.

If it interests you, I am serving it with snapper Romano:

Ingredients:

Fish
  • 4 Pacific rock cod, or other firm fleshed fish fillets
  • 1 cup all pourpose flour
  • 2 Tbs olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
Sauce
  • 1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
  • ½ tsp lemon juice
  • 2 Tbs butter, cubed and slightly chilled
  • 2 Tbs Mushroom, sliced
  • 2 Tbs yellow onion, sliced
  • 1 scallion, white part only, sliced
  • ¼ tsp oregano
  • 2 cups marinara sauce
  • 1 cup bay shrimp
  • salt and pepper to taste
Instructions:

In a sauté pan or skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Dry fish fillets with paper towels, season with salt and pepper, dredge in flour, and sauté until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove fish and keep warm.

Reduce heat to medium, add garlic to the pan and sauté until it just starts to get golden brown, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat, add lemon juice and butter and swirl the pan until butter just melts. Add mushroom, onion, scallion, and oregano and sauté until soft. Add the marinara and shrimp and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over fish fillets.

I serve it with sesame and lime brown rice and a green or yellow vegetable, i.e. haricot verts or carrot coins.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Sir Lion of Beef: Castilla León 2009 Tapeña Rosé

Buonasera,

This is a fairly high rating wine according to wine magazines ( Rated number 87 ) ... Due to the tremendous amount of Rosés produced, I have not yet tried this one ... This may just be produced for Export ... I have never heard of it ...

I have tried the eight I recommended. I truly enjoy Julian Chivite from Navarra, Gran Feudo ... The STRAWBERRY color is so beautiful too ...

I shall run over to my Wine Shop tomorrow and enquire ... Keep u posted. I had recommended several Rosés to Tax Lady however, she could not purchase as Spain does not export those wines to Canada ... So, this could be the result with Tapeña ( The winery produces only for export or local Valladolid Restaurant trade, not Madrid Capital ) ....

All my best, and the enjoy the dinner, looks very delicious ...

Ciao,
Happy Father´s Day,
Margi.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
Executive Chef

gotta say margi my favourite is portuguese,a few years ago good old mateus brought out a shiraz rose.love it!
Old 06-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Harry,

Mateus ... Wow, I do feel a bit aged ...

I would prefer the Syrah Grape or Shirzatz as called in Australia and the UK ... I shall look into at the wine shop on Saturday morning.

Rosés are not very pricey and they have had excellent harvest qualification years over here, so Rose´s are quite up and coming for summer ... I do like JULIAN CHIVITE - NAVARRA - GRAN FEUDO ... This is real nice ... Marqués de Cáceres from La Rioja is lovely and MUGA OAK AGED ROSÉ 2011 IS GORGEOUS ... Muga makes excellent reds since 1932 and prior ...

Shall let you know what my wine retailer can do on Portugal ... and Sir Lion of Beef´s Rosé from Valladolid, Castilla León ...

Have nice evening,
Ciao, Margaux.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:34 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Harry,

Mateus ... Wow, I do feel a bit aged ...

I would prefer the Syrah Grape or Shirzatz as called in Australia and the UK ... I shall look into at the wine shop on Saturday morning.

Rosés are not very pricey and they have had excellent harvest qualification years over here, so Rose´s are quite up and coming for summer ... I do like JULIAN CHIVITE - NAVARRA - GRAN FEUDO ... This is real nice ... Marqués de Cáceres from La Rioja is lovely and MUGA OAK AGED ROSÉ 2011 IS GORGEOUS ... Muga makes excellent reds since 1932 and prior ...

Shall let you know what my wine retailer can do on Portugal ... and Sir Lion of Beef´s Rosé from Valladolid, Castilla León ...

Have nice evening,
Ciao, Margaux.
ha,you & me both margi!! mateus has become an icon,almost a parody of itself but,tell you what margi,on a warm evening with a bowl of strawberries an ice cold mateus is hard to beat.when i was married we had an apartment on the algarve in monte carvoeiro.we used to sit on the balcony grill sardines that were in the sea less than an hour ago & eat figs we'd picked in the garden,still warm from the sun,washed down with chilled mateus..there were some good times too!
the mateus shiraz is a different animal altogether,sure you'll enjoy!
Old 06-16-2012, 04:13 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Gran tesoro

margi
bodegas borsao produce an excellent garnacha red-gran tesoro i first tried it about 4 years ago.malcolm gluck described it as possibly the best value red in the world a few years ago(less than £4 at the time,still less than £5).....the rose ain't bad either,got a slight touch of "bitterness" that is very refreshing,but that goes with the territory if you are using a straight garnacha i guess
ciao
harry
Old 06-16-2012, 06:51 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Buon Giorno Harry,

Yes, Mateus is an Icon ... I just returned from the Preciados Wine Department in El Corte Inglés and I purchased 2 bottles of Mateus Rosé with Syrah Grape 100% ... I also picked up 2 other bottles; the Marqués de Cáceres and The Rosé, Sir Lion of Beef recommended ...

Algarve: I like Portugal ... Lovely eating country too, especially their fish specialties ... I am a big Cod Fish Fan ... and I love Squid ... They are also quite well known for their fresh Sardines ...

Have you been to Porto ? Lovely ... I like Lisboa as well ... I had gone over to Lisboa twice last year, as I interviewed a well known Portuguese Chef José Avillez in Barrio Chiada ... Lovely food ... Fab cheeses and dynamite wines ... www.joseavillez.com

Have a lovely Wkend.
Margi.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Harry,

Borsao is also a white wine maker, I believe too ? ... They are located in Valladolid and produce Rueda D.O. wines made from the Viura and Verdejo Grape varieties.
I have not referenced checked yet --- however, the name is very familiar.

Margi.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
Head Chef

Thank you Margi, I shall be checking your list out. I adore a nice rose wine. Hmm at the moment it is lashing down with rain but I shall be patient and save mine for a sunny day. I have a Navarra garnacha languishing in the fridge.

I love Portugal but not a fan of Portugeuse wine, saying that I can't even remember what Mateus tastes like its been so long, I thought the best thing to do with it was to stick a candle in and make a lamp.

I've been to Carvoeiro and Olho D'agua, both beautiful . Best thing I like about Portugal is that its a nice quick plane ride, by the time you have had a drink and your dinner, its time to get off.

Tags
spain