"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Amontillado Sherry

Where I live, Amontillado Sherry is incredibly hard to find. And I have to travel 90 minute to get it. I use it not for dinking. but in several dishes. Can anyone recommend a decent drinking quality sherry to use instead ?
As I recall, If I remember correctly. I used to use an Amontillado Sherry imported by "Gonzales Sucs" (sp ? ) which was labeled "Nutty brown sherry". I loved the wonderful flavor it added to my dishes.

Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Where I live, Amontillado Sherry is incredibly hard to find. And I have to travel 90 minute to get it. I use it not for dinking. but in several dishes. Can anyone recommend a decent drinking quality sherry to use instead ?
As I recall, If I remember correctly. I used to use an Amontillado Sherry imported by "Gonzales Sucs" (sp ? ) which was labeled "Nutty brown sherry". I loved the wonderful flavor it added to my dishes.
The closest to Amontillado I've ever gotten was reading "The Cask of Amontillado".

Old 09-20-2018, 03:15 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Though I can not locate on the www the exact bottle, this is the brand I used to use. if I remember correctly it also said "nutty brown sherry" on the label.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20701140.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	31577  
Old 09-20-2018, 05:31 PM   #4
Sous Chef

It use a sherry in my pate, I must buy another bottle, I think,the last brand was Williams?

Russ
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:43 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I'm one of those who believe that if a wine is not drinkable quality, it is not good enough to cook with. Obviously, I'd never use a so-called "cooking wine".
Old 09-20-2018, 06:57 PM   #6
Master Chef

I use a locally produced inexpensive New York State sherry for everyday cooking and drinking.

If I lived in your area I would look for a Mexican or California produced sherry.

I would start cheap and work my way up.

See if I can find a bottle of SanAntonio California Dessert Sherry at approx. $5.95.

Good luck!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:28 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Edgar Allan Poe? Did someone mention Edgar Allan Poe?

Oops! Sorry.

Back to our regularly-scheduled program.

My bad.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:47 PM   #8
Sous Chef

a Ahh, humour

Russ
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:35 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
I'm one of those who believe that if a wine is not drinkable quality, it is not good enough to cook with. Obviously, I'd never use a so-called "cooking wine".
I'm with you on that but if the substitute is decent and to your taste why not use it.

It's just occurred to me - can you get hold of "Montilla" wine. It's made "next door" to the sherry region. It's quite passable drinking wine and Spain exports it.

It's a close cousin of sherry in strength and flavour but it isn't "fortified" as sherry is, so it's less expensive (at least in GB it is). There are various varieties as there are of sherries but you'd probably want the nutty "amontillado" version. Apparently, the name of Amontillado sherry gets it's name from the Montilla district.

Don't American wine growing areas produce sherry-type wines? As I said before, substitutes aren't always nasty. A good wine merchant should let you taste.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:46 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Though I can not locate on the www the exact bottle, this is the brand I used to use. if I remember correctly it also said "nutty brown sherry" on the label.
"Fino" sherry is usually very pale in colour and Amontillado is slightly darker and not quite as dry.

I'd better stop talking about sherry - it's only 10.45am and I'm already feeling like a trip to the wine cupboard for a glass of "Tio Pepe"!!!

« Cabernet Sauvignon | - »