Amontillado Sherry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Traveler

Cook
Where I live, Amontillado Sherry is incredibly hard to find. And I have to travel 90 minute to get it. I use it not for dinking. but in several dishes. Can anyone recommend a decent drinking quality sherry to use instead ?
As I recall, If I remember correctly. I used to use an Amontillado Sherry imported by "Gonzales Sucs" (sp ? ) which was labeled "Nutty brown sherry". I loved the wonderful flavor it added to my dishes.

Where I live, Amontillado Sherry is incredibly hard to find. And I have to travel 90 minute to get it. I use it not for dinking. but in several dishes. Can anyone recommend a decent drinking quality sherry to use instead ?
As I recall, If I remember correctly. I used to use an Amontillado Sherry imported by "Gonzales Sucs" (sp ? ) which was labeled "Nutty brown sherry". I loved the wonderful flavor it added to my dishes.

The closest to Amontillado I've ever gotten was reading "The Cask of Amontillado".:(

Though I can not locate on the www the exact bottle, this is the brand I used to use. if I remember correctly it also said "nutty brown sherry" on the label.

Attachments

• 20701140.jpg
    20701140.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 265
I'm one of those who believe that if a wine is not drinkable quality, it is not good enough to cook with. Obviously, I'd never use a so-called "cooking wine".

I use a locally produced inexpensive New York State sherry for everyday cooking and drinking.

If I lived in your area I would look for a Mexican or California produced sherry.

I would start cheap and work my way up. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

See if I can find a bottle of SanAntonio California Dessert Sherry at approx. $5.95.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm one of those who believe that if a wine is not drinkable quality, it is not good enough to cook with. Obviously, I'd never use a so-called "cooking wine".
I'm with you on that but if the substitute is decent and to your taste why not use it.

It's just occurred to me - can you get hold of "Montilla" wine. It's made "next door" to the sherry region. It's quite passable drinking wine and Spain exports it.

It's a close cousin of sherry in strength and flavour but it isn't "fortified" as sherry is, so it's less expensive (at least in GB it is). There are various varieties as there are of sherries but you'd probably want the nutty "amontillado" version. Apparently, the name of Amontillado sherry gets it's name from the Montilla district.

Don't American wine growing areas produce sherry-type wines? As I said before, substitutes aren't always nasty. A good wine merchant should let you taste.

Though I can not locate on the www the exact bottle, this is the brand I used to use. if I remember correctly it also said "nutty brown sherry" on the label.
"Fino" sherry is usually very pale in colour and Amontillado is slightly darker and not quite as dry.

I'd better stop talking about sherry - it's only 10.45am and I'm already feeling like a trip to the wine cupboard for a glass of "Tio Pepe"!!!

I'm with you on that but if the substitute is decent and to your taste why not use it.

It's just occurred to me - can you get hold of "Montilla" wine. It's made "next door" to the sherry region. It's quite passable drinking wine and Spain exports it.

It's a close cousin of sherry in strength and flavour but it isn't "fortified" as sherry is, so it's less expensive (at least in GB it is). There are various varieties as there are of sherries but you'd probably want the nutty "amontillado" version. Apparently, the name of Amontillado sherry gets it's name from the Montilla district.

Don't American wine growing areas produce sherry-type wines? As I said before, substitutes aren't always nasty. A good wine merchant should let you taste.

Thank you. I must admit I am not familiar with Montilla" sherries. I'll be sure to discuss it with the wine merchant when I go into san Diego in 2 weeks.
Traveler.

It appears that, like Luchresi, Traveler cannot distinguish Sherry from Amontillado :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tenspeed, I don't know where you are getting your information but Amontillado IS a sherry. Amontillado is darker than a 'fino' but lighter than a 'oloroso'. You might consider brushing up on your info about sherries.

Last edited:
It appears that, like Luchresi, Traveler cannot distinguish Sherry from Amontillado :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tenspeed, I don't know where you are getting your information but Amontillado IS a sherry. Amontillado is darker than a 'fino' but lighter than a 'oloroso'. You might consider brushing up on your info about sherries.
From Mr. Poe himself! Please read the story. At any rate, it was intended to be humorous, and I hope you didn't interpret it as anything else.

https://www.poemuseum.org/the-cask-of-amontillado

@Traveler what dishes do you use it for?

I was told that sherry is the secret ingredient at a very famous seafood pan-roast restaurant. I was wondering if you used it the same way?

@Traveler what dishes do you use it for?

I was told that sherry is the secret ingredient at a very famous seafood pan-roast restaurant. I was wondering if you used it the same way?

For me, a good Amontillado, is the secret ingredient in my Chicken Tetrazzini.

(Several desserts as well.)

PS: I do NOT make it as a casserole, but as an individual entree that is run under the broiler to melt and brown the cheeses.

Last edited:
For me, a good Amontillado, is the secret ingredient in my Chicken Tetrazzini.

(Several desserts as well.)

PS: I do NOT make it as a casserole, but as an individual entree that is run under the broiler to melt and brown the cheeses.

Traveler, I for one would really love to have your recipe. :yum:
If you would be so kind to share it, you can leave it in the Chicken recipe collection. I know many of us would appreciate it.:chef:
By the way, I'll be getting a bottle of the Amontillado at a near by BeVmo store.

Last edited:
Intended to be humorous ? I most certainly did not read it that way. It looked like you were trying to make a fool of me for your own amusement. :ohmy:
Traveler, I've been here for a long time and I hope you will believe me when I say that tenspeed was not making fun of you. It's not his style.

I use Taylor sherry, by the way. I don't know if it's available where you are.

Back
Top Bottom