Any Port drinkers out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magpie2711

Assistant Cook
I've recently begun exploring the world of fortified wines, and have started with Port. I find I prefer the tawny over ruby so far, and am really digging on the Taylor Fladgate Tawny. Any suggestions from anyone about a good Port to try, or even one that isn't technically Port (as in, from Portugal)? I did try something that just called itself Tawny, and was "in the style of" Port, but I don't remember what it was.

Ports are an outstanding drink. Tawneys, as I am sure you know, are generally aged longer than ruby's. I like Taylor Fladgate.

Christian Brothers makes a decent Tawney. They call it port. On the upscale end, vintage Grahams is excellent, as is the Taylor Fladgate.

Ports work very well with Stiltons or Gorgonzolas. I heard somewhere that port was originally made to withstand the rigors of ship travel from to England, and was flavored to pair well with Stilton. If it is not true, it makes a good story.

Bottom line, once you get over $20 or so, there are few bad ports.

Port with Stilton is one of my favorite things, yum! I've tried the TF Tawny and TF 10year, now I'm waiting to try the 20 year and 30 year. Thanks for the info on the other 2, I'll definitely give them a try!

I enjoy Port and Sherry in the winter time.

I very seldom buy a good Port because I am cheap! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I am fortunate to have a couple of generous friends that remember me at Christmas with a bottle of cheer.

I have enjoyed Cockburn's and Sandeman. I have a bottle of Warre's Otima 10 year Tawny on the shelf now that needs to be opened. That is one I have not tried yet.

As others have said it is nice with cheese. It is also good with walnuts in the shell that have been warmed in the oven and some chocolates.

I myself just have a small glass or two and relax.

you'll love the warre's otima auntie:yum:!it's my fav port.like drinking pure raisins & it's one of the few ports that takes chilling beautifully but don't put ice in it.don't wait for winter....chuck it in the fridge & drink it now!quinta noval lbv is my other fav..can be expensive but pure nectar!!
the british have a very long history of drinking port/sherry & some of the bigger companies have owned vinyards in spain & portugal for over two centuries to maintain supply,consistency & quality

Last edited:
Any suggestions from anyone about a good Port to try, or even one that isn't technically Port (as in, from Portugal)? I did try something that just called itself Tawny, and was "in the style of" Port, but I don't remember what it was.
I've been very happy with some of the Australian fortified wines we've had. Yalumba and RL Buller makes good ones. In the past, we bought them because the quality/price ratio was excellent. Lately, though, they've edged up in price as well.

And if you're looking for something a little different in the dessert wine category, there's a fortified orange muscat wine out of California called Quady Essentia. Costs less than $15 and is awesome stuff.

I enjoy Port and Sherry in the winter time.

I very seldom buy a good Port because I am cheap! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I am fortunate to have a couple of generous friends that remember me at Christmas with a bottle of cheer.

I have enjoyed Cockburn's and Sandeman. I have a bottle of Warre's Otima 10 year Tawny on the shelf now that needs to be opened. That is one I have not tried yet.

As others have said it is nice with cheese. It is also good with walnuts in the shell that have been warmed in the oven and some chocolates.

I myself just have a small glass or two and relax.

I haven't tried sherry yet, but I'm very intrigued by it. Any suggestions?

I'm also pretty cheap, (or may I say "value conscious") so I love the Taylor Fladgate Tawny at around $17.

I love my little dark chocolate Dove squares with Port, or the cherry chocolate Kisses. The walnut thing is new, and I have to try it!

Harry, I've never thought about the fridge but I'm game to try it! How do you feel about Port cocktails? I've never tried, but am definitely intrigued!

Steve, thanks for the suggestion on the Quady Essentia. I'm exploring all types of dessert wines, so I'd love to try something new. Here in Western South Dakota, we don't have as many choices as you do in the Twin Cities, and I don't think I've ever seen any fortified wines from Australia. And of course you can't get anything shipped here. All my obscure trys have generally been after a trip to Denver or Mpls!

Will be on the lookout for the Quady Essentia. Where do I look for it in Mpls?

I love port, and sherry too, it's all good!

Last edited:
I haven't tried sherry yet, but I'm very intrigued by it. Any suggestions?

I'm also pretty cheap, (or may I say "value conscious") so I love the Taylor Fladgate Tawny at around $17.

I love my little dark chocolate Dove squares with Port, or the cherry chocolate Kisses. The walnut thing is new, and I have to try it!

I used to drink Harvey's Shooting Sherry but, I have not seen it in several years.

I have tried Hartley and Gibson's Dry Fino.

Lately I have been making an effort to buy things that are locally produced and Taylor Dry Sherry is about the only one I can find. That is a very inexpensive sherry and the first glass goes down harder than the second! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I've been very happy with some of the Australian fortified wines we've had. Yalumba and RL Buller makes good ones. In the past, we bought them because the quality/price ratio was excellent. Lately, though, they've edged up in price as well.

And if you're looking for something a little different in the dessert wine category, there's a fortified orange muscat wine out of California called Quady Essentia. Costs less than $15 and is awesome stuff.

I love Essentia and their black muscat called Elysium is good too.
I am also a big fan of Zinfandel ports. I like to nibble on some parm or
other cheese with my port and would prefer that for dessert any time.

Will be on the lookout for the Quady Essentia. Where do I look for it in Mpls?
Our little place here in Rosemount always carried it until they went out of business a few months ago. I would first check MGM liquor, which is one of the bigger chains in the area. I would almost guarantee that Surdyk's and Morelli's have it, too.

I love Cockburns. Got a bottle in the kitchen I got at Christmas. Only had one glass from it... Think another is long overdue...!

I'm glad this thread reminded me about Port. I am not very familiar with it, but have liked what I have tasted.

A Portuguese friend gave us a bottle of Offley Old Tawny Porto (10 years). I should give that a try.

What am I tasting for?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom