"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 09-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Any Port drinkers out there?

I've recently begun exploring the world of fortified wines, and have started with Port. I find I prefer the tawny over ruby so far, and am really digging on the Taylor Fladgate Tawny. Any suggestions from anyone about a good Port to try, or even one that isn't technically Port (as in, from Portugal)? I did try something that just called itself Tawny, and was "in the style of" Port, but I don't remember what it was.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Head Chef

Ports are an outstanding drink. Tawneys, as I am sure you know, are generally aged longer than ruby's. I like Taylor Fladgate.

Christian Brothers makes a decent Tawney. They call it port. On the upscale end, vintage Grahams is excellent, as is the Taylor Fladgate.

Ports work very well with Stiltons or Gorgonzolas. I heard somewhere that port was originally made to withstand the rigors of ship travel from to England, and was flavored to pair well with Stilton. If it is not true, it makes a good story.

Bottom line, once you get over $20 or so, there are few bad ports.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Port with Stilton is one of my favorite things, yum! I've tried the TF Tawny and TF 10year, now I'm waiting to try the 20 year and 30 year. Thanks for the info on the other 2, I'll definitely give them a try!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:36 AM   #4
Master Chef

I enjoy Port and Sherry in the winter time.

I very seldom buy a good Port because I am cheap!

I am fortunate to have a couple of generous friends that remember me at Christmas with a bottle of cheer.

I have enjoyed Cockburn's and Sandeman. I have a bottle of Warre's Otima 10 year Tawny on the shelf now that needs to be opened. That is one I have not tried yet.

As others have said it is nice with cheese. It is also good with walnuts in the shell that have been warmed in the oven and some chocolates.

I myself just have a small glass or two and relax.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
Executive Chef

you'll love the warre's otima auntie!it's my fav port.like drinking pure raisins & it's one of the few ports that takes chilling beautifully but don't put ice in it.don't wait for winter....chuck it in the fridge & drink it now!quinta noval lbv is my other fav..can be expensive but pure nectar!!
the british have a very long history of drinking port/sherry & some of the bigger companies have owned vinyards in spain & portugal for over two centuries to maintain supply,consistency & quality
Old 09-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Thumbs up for port. A bottle doesn't last too long around here....makes me crave a smoke.....
Old 09-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie2711 View Post
Any suggestions from anyone about a good Port to try, or even one that isn't technically Port (as in, from Portugal)? I did try something that just called itself Tawny, and was "in the style of" Port, but I don't remember what it was.
I've been very happy with some of the Australian fortified wines we've had. Yalumba and RL Buller makes good ones. In the past, we bought them because the quality/price ratio was excellent. Lately, though, they've edged up in price as well.

And if you're looking for something a little different in the dessert wine category, there's a fortified orange muscat wine out of California called Quady Essentia. Costs less than $15 and is awesome stuff.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I enjoy Port and Sherry in the winter time.

I very seldom buy a good Port because I am cheap!

I am fortunate to have a couple of generous friends that remember me at Christmas with a bottle of cheer.

I have enjoyed Cockburn's and Sandeman. I have a bottle of Warre's Otima 10 year Tawny on the shelf now that needs to be opened. That is one I have not tried yet.

As others have said it is nice with cheese. It is also good with walnuts in the shell that have been warmed in the oven and some chocolates.

I myself just have a small glass or two and relax.
I haven't tried sherry yet, but I'm very intrigued by it. Any suggestions?

I'm also pretty cheap, (or may I say "value conscious") so I love the Taylor Fladgate Tawny at around $17.

I love my little dark chocolate Dove squares with Port, or the cherry chocolate Kisses. The walnut thing is new, and I have to try it!
Old 09-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Thumbs up for port. A bottle doesn't last too long around here....makes me crave a smoke.....
I agree! This is about the only time I really appreciate a good cigar!
Old 09-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Harry, I've never thought about the fridge but I'm game to try it! How do you feel about Port cocktails? I've never tried, but am definitely intrigued!

Steve, thanks for the suggestion on the Quady Essentia. I'm exploring all types of dessert wines, so I'd love to try something new. Here in Western South Dakota, we don't have as many choices as you do in the Twin Cities, and I don't think I've ever seen any fortified wines from Australia. And of course you can't get anything shipped here. All my obscure trys have generally been after a trip to Denver or Mpls!