Anyone make wine at home?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carolelaine

Senior Cook
I have so many grapes every year. I have been canning the juice and making jelly with it as needed, but I would like to try wine. Any advice on what kind to kit to get, or anything else would really help.

Do you have wine making stores in your area? They have become popular as of late and they could give you a really god advise on what to do. Main thing to get a good wine is a good grape. And though your grapes might be good for everything else it doesn't mean that they are good for wine making. I have tasted plenty of "vinegar" that people called wine. I'd look for wine making supply, or wine making store in the area and ask them the questions. You'd have to go there anyway, because that is where you woull get your supplies anyway.

I picked up the book, Home Winemaking Step-by-Step by Jon Iverson at a winery last year while on vacation. I eager read it, suffered sticker shock, and the book is now quietly occupying space on my book shelf.

I made 30 bottles of kiwi wine 2 years ago. It was a fun thing to do. The kids loved bottling it. Unfortunately, it didnt go over too well with the friends and family. I now use it for cooking. Id definitely do it again. I had almost 900 kiwis, and there is only so much you can do with them.

I had a friend in NH that used to make Birch wine. Yes, that's right, wine from Birch sap. Man, that was some yummy stuff.

I really don't have any wine making stores in my area, I was thinking of ordering supples online and a book, but there are so many choices I don't know where to start.

I will pass on the wisdom an old Italian gentleman gave me when I was thinking about making wine in my kitchen...you will have gnats.

Here is a link to a local store that I got my supplies from. Sure I was able to visit the store directly and ask many questions. They were very helpful. Im not too sure how they handle their internet orders or questions or whatever.

This is their homepage
Arbor Wine and Beermaking - Beer Kits, Wine Ingredients, How Tos, Equipment and More

This is the link to their wine making kits
Arbor Wine and Beermaking - Wine Kits

Looks like the bottles are not included in the kits, but u usually dont need them for months.

Being a complete novice, i found it a very easy, enjoyable project for the whole family.

Back
Top Bottom