Anyone with a good knowledge of fine wines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeboy

Assistant Cook
HELLO ALL, I have been developing a cooking related web site and I intend on adding a page with links to any good related content around the world, especially a site which has a good wine info section.

I dont expect any backlink I just need your permission to do so, if you know anyone or you yourself would like to put forward a site, hit me up, my site link is below

regards

JOE

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe, welcome to Discuss Cooking. I've removed your email addy from the public view. Anyone who is a member here can Private Message you with the information they want to share. Hope you enjoy your time here.

thinking of doing some research myself, but i get the feeling it is something that only experience will bring

are there any good books people could recommend?

what are you trying to research?

there's a couple HUGE issues with "wine experts"

- everyone has different tastes
- not every wine is available in every store in the state/country/world

so a review of Year X of Vinter Y is Z'ly superb is completely meaningless if you can't get your hands or it
or worse yet, dry whites give you a headache

having spent some effort in what turned out to be a totally futile attempt to penetrate & understand the world of "wine experts" I just quit. it became quite obvious that my tastes don't always agree with the hottest release.

when I go to the store I always buy a bottle of something new. if I can't find a better reason, perhaps it just a pretty label.

I keep my notes in a text file; print it out now and then and leave it in the car so it's handy when I pass by the wine shop.

if you want to research something, list out all the descriptive terms used by the "wine experts" and see if you can define them in words that all/most people can understand and which consuming a glass will prove accurate. just defining the degrees of "dry" and "sweet" will be a challenge. defining a "hint of fruitiness / oak aging / <etc>" is probably not possible. just exactly does "full bodied" mean to a wine novice? buying wine "by the numbers" is not likely to succeed.

I've got a list of "50 Wines You Can Always Trust" - well, I worked my way though about 10 on them - more than thirty five are not available except by full case special order - and of those 10, I like maybe two.

there is no accounting for taste. might be more productive to list types of foods and typical wine descriptions that go well with them.

there's the old standby reds with beef and whites with seafood. lots of objections to that but what happens with pasta dishes? fried chicken? souffle? stuffed pork chop?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom