"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 12-14-2010, 11:30 PM   #21
Sous Chef

I had Georges DuBoeuf also.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

The"beaujolais nouveau"'s day is a very special day in France like your Halloween day :).
Everybody tastes this new wine ( at work, at home, in the bar, never in restaurants) and each time we have the same reflexions - it's horrible, it's not good and so on.
oh my god, i don't like the banana test flavor or this year it tastes red fruits flavor :)
And i am pleased to see that the bottles of beaujolais are not sold with high prices in your country. $9 a bottle is quiet the same as in France ( about $5-6 for a duboeuf)

Old 08-24-2014, 02:31 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm not sure if halloween is a good comparison as it is based on various religious holidays of significance. business and traditions were secondary in it's origins.

it's more like valentine's or mother's day: all have a history (much like the annual release of the youngest wines ready for market in this case), then someone came along and realized there was a way to turn it into a way to both create a celebration based around the idea, as well as make money from it. hmm, ok, not all that different than halloween. just a little more exploitive.

i think it's great to celebrate; love, moms, wine, etc. that's how we all got here, lol.

who was born in august (i used my fingers)? you may have been a beaujolais baby...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #24
Executive Chef

yeh sure, we'll gladly raise our beaujolais bottles to mothers, lovers, leos, and to youth, eternal, forever-young youth....
Old 08-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Highly over rated. The whole Beaujolais Nouveau thing is about marketing an inferior wine and making a lot of dosh from it. There are better (and, in some cases, less expensive) wines.

It was very fashionable in the UK in the '80s. The market was swamped with BN with little regard to quality and became a competitive thing particularly among the wide boys in the financial world who wouldn't know a good wine if it got up and bit them. As it became widely available to anyone who wanted it, it lost its kudos.

Interestingly, when it was introduced to the USA the traditional date in November when it hit the market was altered to take advantage of the Thanksgiving trade.

On Sunday we had a bottle of Cotes du Rhone Reserve (my laptop can't do circumflexes and grave accents). Not as good as a "Villages" but not half bad and not expensive.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:42 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
On Sunday we had a bottle of Cotes du Rhone Reserve (my laptop can't do circumflexes and grave accents). Not as good as a "Villages" but not half bad and not expensive.
"Villages"?

Does your laptop have a numeric keypad? Is it running Windows? If so, = alt 0244 (but you have to use the numeric keypad for the digits).
Old 08-24-2014, 10:51 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, taxy, you beat me to ascii-n maddie if she knew about those.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:23 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I even have a bilingual keyboard, but I never figured out how to make it do the French accents and special characters.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:24 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Beaujolais Villages
Beaujolais Villages is the appellation for red, white and ros wines from an area made up of 38 villages in the north of the Beaujolais region.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:28 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
"Villages"?

Does your laptop have a numeric keypad? Is it running Windows? If so, = alt 0244 (but you have to use the numeric keypad for the digits).
If you have a Mac it's even easier. alt/option+i, o =