Beaujolais Nouveau 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gage

Senior Cook
well IT is out there -- My liquor store had only two names in this years release , George duboeuf and Mommissan . I preferred the deboeuf. Do you get the nouveau release in your area. I'm on Vancouver Island ,that means that North America is a bigger island I can see on my way to work,sometimes I think we should move the island just a smig further away. Regards Gage

Is it my imagination or has the anticipation and excitement of the day the beaujolais nouveau became available, dimmed to a mere twinkle?
Thanks to this post, it 'reminded me' that it was coming out and LOL afraid my reaction is "ho hum"!
And it wasn't all that long ago when the ballyhoo of an impending release rivaled Oscar night, so wha' happened...
Some possible reasons may bei because of the glut of wine on the market at very reasonable prices and that I think if memory is accurate, that many of the last releases weren't worth drinking. Interesting subject and would love to hear your comments.

MSC the Hype has dimmed in the UK as well, untill I read this I had heard nothing, your comments are accurate.

I bought a bottle today at Trader Joe's for only 8.99. It's "Georges Dubuef Beaujolais Nouveau". I haven't tried it let but will let you know what I think of it when I do....maybe tonight with my Eggplant Parmesan I'm serving. I believe the sign said that this is a limited offering...I wonder why?

It is limited because they make a small amount and rush to market on the third thursday of November every year. It was Gamey grapes on the vine a couple months ago. It is an event, and a predictor of the vintage to expect when they release the real thing. Hope you like it ,mine was easy ,the Dubuef was good the Mommesin not so much.

yes-I was once told "if you have some left in April ,give it to freinds

I was told that if you have some left in april give it to your freinds

I bought 3 bottles and served it with Thanksgiving dinner.

Had more the other night with French Onion Soup.

All Gone!!!

I had a taste tonight with eggplant parmesan (good paring btw) and it was quite good I thought. Very very light and a little fruity but not too much...just right :wub:

I read that it has no tannins but I don't know what that means exactly. I guess my dirty little secret is out now...I'm no wine connessieur...if I were then I'd probably be able to spell it (or did i) :rolleyes:

And it said that it's best if you cool it slightly in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes. I know, strange for reds but that's what it said.

...I read that it has no tannins but I don't know what that means exactly...

Tannins are present in some wines. Tannins give wine an astringent quality that makes you want to pucker your lips. A wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon would typically be high in tannins.

A rose petal is a good example for tannin.
Hey Silversage which name(s) were they ?

Last edited:
I recall actually hearing about the release of Beaujolais Nouveau on the network news, but that was literally decades ago. Never have had the opportunity to sample any vintage. It doesn't get within 60 or so miles of the edge of the Great Dismal Swamp.
We are going to Va Beach this weekend. Maybe I will see if I can find a bottle or two

OK -I just have to ask where a place called the "Great Dismal Swamp" could be ? I will buy real estate in a place with a name like that because when the tourism and greens get it changed to "wetlands ecological reserve " or something catchy it will rock! It really isn't worth goeing out of you way for B N ,just want to hear if one brand was outstanding this year ,is all. Regards gage

Georges DuBoeuf was always my favorite. But here we have a Nouveau festival (the Friday before Thanksgiving) and it is such fun. Who cares if the wine is great or not? Some years good, some so-so, but it is one heck of a party, and the restaurants all serve a beef beaujolais stew in a bread bowl and we all party.

OK -I just have to ask where a place called the "Great Dismal Swamp" could be ? I will buy real estate in a place with a name like that because when the tourism and greens get it changed to "wetlands ecological reserve " or something catchy it will rock! It really isn't worth goeing out of you way for B N ,just want to hear if one brand was outstanding this year ,is all. Regards gage
The Great Dismal Swamp lies across the Virginia and North Carolina border.
It is bordered by Norfolk, Va on the north and Elizabeth City on the south.
Casa de Hoot is not far from the western side of the swamp in NC.
Most (if not all) of the swamp is already a National Wildlife Refuge that spans over 100,000 acres.
They say that George Washington surveyed most of the land in the 1700's.
In 1973, the company I used to work for donated nearly 50,000 acres and shortly thereafter it was declared a national wildlife refuge.
Not a bad place to live but it is out in the sticks.

Georges DuBoeuf was always my favorite. But here we have a Nouveau festival (the Friday before Thanksgiving) and it is such fun. Who cares if the wine is great or not? Some years good, some so-so, but it is one heck of a party, and the restaurants all serve a beef beaujolais stew in a bread bowl and we all party.
I tasted the wine again today it wasn't as quite good as yesterday (when I first opened it). Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm more discerning today. Is it possible it would go bad that quickly? Is it because I couldn't, try as I might, get the "cork" (not made of cork) back in so I covered it in saran wrap? Or maybe it's because I pared it with mexican quiche :rolleyes:

most wine tastes poorly after sitting open. saran wrap in the fridge is the better than nothing ,but the more air in the bottle the worse the remains fare.I usually don't open unless it is likely to be used within a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom