Before & After: Aperitivi & Digestivi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Good Evening, Ciao,

I hope that all of the Mothers on D.C. have had a lovely Mother´s Day.

Italians nearly drink wine or Prosecco with lunch and / or dinner, and so do the majority of Mediterraneans.

What do you drink before you sit down at the table and after the meal ? Would enjoy hearing all about your selections.

The classic Aperitivo I normally have at the weekends is Campari or Prosecco or a white wine from the Albariño / Albarinho Grape.

My favorite digestivi depends on the cuisine we have had or the dessert. I may continue with my Cava and / or Prosecco, which are light; or have Di Saronno Amaretti or Vin Santo, Strega, Frangelico, or a Sambuca with Espresso.

If we are out having Galician cuisine or Basque, a regional licor from these two regions and espresso.

Margi.

I too like Campari, mix it with a sweet vermouth, selzer and a lemon or orange twist. Plain OJ and Campari over ice yum. Prosecco alone or with anything is heaven. I also enjoy a B&B after dinner.
kadesma

Last edited:
Kadesma,

Hope you had a lovely Mother´s Day. We celebrated it one week before, however, the gals called on SKYPE and I called my Mom.

Campari with club soda or seltzer, Vermouth with lemon ... yes ... Prosecco is my favorite wine ... Which brands do you have availability to in California ?

Have nice afternoon.
Margi.

Kadesma,

Hope you had a lovely Mother´s Day. We celebrated it one week before, however, the gals called on SKYPE and I called my Mom.

Campari with club soda or seltzer, Vermouth with lemon ... yes ... Prosecco is my favorite wine ... Which brands do you have availability to in California ?

Have nice afternoon.
Margi.
Yes I can get both and do so often. Nice thread thanks Margi.
kades

I like a bourbon before dinner and wine with. Port is my favorite after dinner drink and I tend to like Zinfandel ports or other non-traditional ones better. I don't get all three very often. I also like muscats after dinner.

i've desperately wanted to try a good tokay. a little liquid dulce to finish a meal.

for me, aperitifs are tricky. you want to spike your interest without being filling. for me, it should be clean and dry. turn on the sensors without saturating the tongue. something clean and simple.
either that, or a simple wine without tanins or too much fruit. something middle of the road.

it really depends on the menu to come.

but afterwards, i'd choose a snifter of gran marnier cinq cinquantenaire and a long, thin cuban.

again, this is for semi yearly consumption. if you're drinking at every meal, you're self medicating, and need to find out the reason or be a self-centered, bloated, pig. :glare:

but for the times that call for it, it's a symphony.

ciao - buonasera,

as all of u know, i am in sardinia celebrating 32nd anniversary and shall be back sat. 19th

thanks for all the wonderful input on topic

see u 19th

margi.

the turq sea and beach is unbelievable ... MAR means sea in spanish

mare is sea in italiano

I very rarely indulge before dinner, unless we are having guests. In that case, I'll open a bottle of sparkling wine to have with appetizers. Bolas mentions Kir Royal, which I like also, but hadn't thought about it in a while. I might have to make those sometime this summer.

As far as after dinner drinks go, I sometimes enjoy an ice cold Limoncello - straight from the freezer into a chilled glass.

Cynar is one of my favorites.

But I also like Amari Montenegro, Ramazotti and Averna.

I have been trying to find Zucca but havent been able to.

I also really dig both yellow and green Chartreuse and most types of Pastis.

Depending on the meal/cuisine (& if I have room), after dinner I might be talked into ;-) sgroppinno or affogato.

Happy Anniversary in advnace, Margi.

Cynar is one of my favorites.

But I also like Amari Montenegro, Ramazotti and Averna.

I have been trying to find Zucca but havent been able to.

I also really dig both yellow and green Chartreuse and most types of Pastis.
I've never suffered ill after affects after consuming hefty amounts of Cynar or Jaegermeister; and find small quantities (~ 1.5 dcl.) of Centerba or Schinken Haeger to be a good digestiv after consuming a large heavy / rich meal.

As far as after dinner drinks go, I sometimes enjoy an ice cold Limoncello - straight from the freezer into a chilled glass.

The digestivo is the only alcohol I have now and 90% of the time it is homemade limoncello. Tuaca or de Serrano fill the other 10%.

This summer top hit in the aperitivi chart has been Aperol Spritz:

3 parts Prosecco
2 parts Aperol
1 splash of soda or seltzer
Ice cubes
1/2 slice of (blood) orange

Ice > Prosecco > Selz > Aperol > Orange

It tastes good! :yum:

Back
Top Bottom