Best Sweet Wines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Efrain

Assistant Cook
Which sweet wines do you all prefer?

I have a soft spot for white wines, but I I enjoy a nice glass of red wine on occasion. Recently, I've been interested in Riesling, so if you have a favorite brand I'd love to hear them.

If you want to try different sweet wines, I suggest a French Sauterne and German Eiswein.

For the most part, I don't drink a lot of sweet table wines. Not because I don't like sweetness, but rather because the sugar is often added to cover up a mediocre product, and I think some almost border on Kool-Aid levels of sweetness.

Be that as it may, if you like Riesling you may want to try some German Rieslings. In Germany, the sweeter wines tend to be the most expensive. The reason for this is that the grapes are left on the vines longer, which exposes them to the risk of being destroyed by pests, bad weather, crop diseases, etc. If you're looking for a semi-sweet wine, then the style you want to seek out is Kabinett or Kabinettwein. Spätlese (late harvest) is the next step up on the scale.

If you want to stay with domestic wines, most under-$20 Moscato, Riesling, and Gewürztraminers will usually be somewhat sweet.

The wines that Craig mentions above are dessert wines, which is a completely different class of wine that includes Port, Sauternes, Ice Wine (or Eiswein), Vin Santo, domestic Late Harvest wines, etc. True to the name, they are often served in place of (or in addition to) dessert. You probably wouldn't want to drink one of these with, say, a steak. But they are delicious on their own.

If you want to try different sweet wines, I suggest a French Sauterne and German Eiswein.

Where can I find a French Sauterne or German Eiswein for sale? Would I have to go to an online site, or would a local liqueur store do? Perhaps a store that specializes in wine?

Late season riesling is awesome.

How can I tell if a Riesling is harvested during the late season?

You might try an upscale wine store. Do you have a Total Wines and More where you live? Also if you are into bubbly wines, try Moscato d'Asti.

With "T" day coming up, there is always Cold Duck!:innocent:

Where can I find a French Sauterne or German Eiswein for sale? Would I have to go to an online site, or would a local liqueur store do? Perhaps a store that specializes in wine?
Most liquor stores with a decent wine selection will have at least a few of these in stock. If you are in North Dartmouth, MA, I would be willing to bet these guys have what you want:
Cardoza's Wine & Spirits

You might also check with a local winery, such as Running Brook. According to their website, they have a number of sweeter type wines. The advantage to going someplace local is that you can try before you buy:
Running Brook Vineyard

How can I tell if a Riesling is harvested during the late season?
It will say "Late Harvest" on the label.

Last edited:
Most liquor stores with a decent wine selection will have at least a few of these in stock. If you are in North Dartmouth, MA, I would be willing to bet these guys have what you want:
Cardoza's Wine & Spirits

You might also check with a local winery, such as Running Brook. According to their website, they have a number of sweeter type wines. The advantage to going someplace local is that you can try before you buy:
Running Brook Vineyard

Thank you all so much. I cannot wait to try some new wines!

Cardoza's Wine & Spirits

Running Brook Vineyard

Depends on where you live. Here in NC, liquor stores only carry hard liquor, no wine. Grocery stores usually carry a wide selection of wine and we also have wine stores like Total Wine.

Seems like states have different silly rules about what can be sold where. In Maine, you can get beer, wine and hard liquor in the grocery or convenience store as long as you have a licence.

Seems like states have different silly rules about what can be sold where.
You got that right!

My wife and I have been trying to put together a business plan to launch our own winery in the next couple of years. Just trying to wade through all the myriad regulations and potential red tape is enough to drive one crazy! :wacko:

But mostly, I was replying under the assumption that the poster lives in Massachusetts.

Last edited:
My favorite wines are made by St. James Winery. Deliciously fruity and sweet, they are my absolute favorites. They make many flavors, but my favorite is the Velvet Red, which I happen to be having a glass of right now. Another favorite is the blackberry and the blackberry/blueberry.

On Jewish holidays, my dad would always break out the Maneschewitz. It’s gross,I know, but it’s a very nostalgic taste for me. I’d bet if you reduced a couple of cups on the stove, it’d make a great syrup for French toast, pancakes or waffles!

I like Rieslings, also. The best have always come from Germany, but surprisingly, Texas (of all places) some good German wine varieties. I have had some excellent Texas Rieslings and Gewurztraminers.

I love to serve a fruit and cheese plate with sweet German varieties of wine. Try this sometime... take a sip of sweet wine, then eat a sweet piece of fruit, or even a sweet pastry, and then another sip of the wine. It changes the whole taste of the wine (in a good way).

I've enjoyed Fall Creek Vineyards, Ste. Genevieve, Messina Hof. LLano Estacado is a more "mass market" Texas wine. As I recall, Massina Hof is the sweetest of the Texas/German wines I've had.

CD

DOH! I did it again. I forgot to read the post date of the OP.

2014!

Oh well, I had nothing better to do.

CD

Back
Top Bottom