"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 04-11-2016, 08:20 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Yesterday, I saw an American cab that costed about £8.48 from online drink store, it is about $11. It was very cheap that I thought it was a joke :) If it depends not on the brand, I supposed that the pricing depends more on the country where the wine is made than anything else or am I wrong??

Old 04-11-2016, 10:31 AM   #12
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry View Post
Yesterday, I saw an American cab that costed about £8.48 from online drink store, it is about $11. It was very cheap that I thought it was a joke :) If it depends not on the brand, I supposed that the pricing depends more on the country where the wine is made than anything else or am I wrong??
It depends on a lot of things. The producer determines the cost, and will typically charge whatever the market will allow. Some producers also have different levels of wine that they sell. For example, the same producer may offer an everyday value wine for $10 alongside a $25 (or more) premium wine. The only difference with the premium wine may be that it spent more time aging, or was stored in a more expensive barrel.

California Cabernet Sauvignon may range in price from $3 a bottle all the way up to $500 or more for certain "cult" wines. The ones exported to Europe tend to be at the lower range.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:42 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

I read an article which was quite interesting not long ago. It was about the ten most expensive wines in the world. I couldn’t believe the price tag on them. One could sell as high as $12000 per bottle. Frankly, that is something I will never have the opportunity to taste. And according to the articles there are certain factors that need to be considered in order to classify great wines. Those factors are: weather, quality of grapes, aging techniques and, perceived value. Interestingly most those expensive wines are from France.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:31 AM   #14
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandjy View Post
And according to the articles there are certain factors that need to be considered in order to classify great wines. Those factors are: weather, quality of grapes, aging techniques and, perceived value.
I would argue that "perceived value" accounts for 99.999% of that.

Think about it this way. It takes roughly 700 grapes to make a bottle of wine. Therefore, a $12,000 bottle breaks down to roughly $17 PER GRAPE. There is no grape in the world that is worth that much money.

Most people who buy those high priced bottles are collectors. Typically they hang on to it for a few years, hoping that the price will go up (and if they really want the price to go up, they will buy up the last of a rare lot). Then they turn around and sell it to people who are willing to pay the price. Those people, in turn, only care about serving it to their rich, snobby friends, so they can all ooh and ahh over the exorbitant price that was paid.

I once had the opportunity to taste an $800 bottle of French Chardonnay. I thought it was pretty good, but it certainly wasn't 40 times better than my favorite $20 bottle.

The wines with the highest perceived values, at least to me, are the ones shared with good friends.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:23 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandjy View Post
One could sell as high as $12000 per bottle.
Honestly, sometimes I buy a $25 wine and the taste is just perfect for me so I often wonder if those super expensive must taste heavenly like!!
Old 04-21-2016, 10:28 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I once had the opportunity to taste an $800 bottle of French Chardonnay. I thought it was pretty good, but it certainly wasn't 40 times better than my favorite $20 bottle.
Sorry to hear that, where did you buy it? Anyway, like somebody said the taste of wines is very subjective or not...
Old 04-21-2016, 10:45 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Steve said he had the opportunity to taste it. I'm betting someone else bought it
Old 04-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #18
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Steve said he had the opportunity to taste it. I'm betting someone else bought it
You would win that bet. In 56 years I've done more than my share of dumb things, but paying $800 for a bottle of wine isn't one of them.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:27 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
You would win that bet. In 56 years I've done more than my share of dumb things, but paying $800 for a bottle of wine isn't one of them.
Yay for me! and for you!
Old 04-22-2016, 03:09 AM   #20
Senior Cook

The world's finest wines depend on several factors: the area where the vineyard is; how the vineyard is situated: how big it is - for example, Le Monrachet is a (by comparison on almost any scale) tiny vineyard situated in Burgundy's top quality white wine A.C. area, therefore tiny production, carefully produced, properly cellared, properly aged. Microclimate is vitally important, and rarity is a factor as well. You can use the same grape variety somewhere else and it won't taste the same!

A very good example is the Traminer grape, which originates in North East Italy, but cultivated in Alsace it becomes noticeably spicier, hence the name 'Gewurtztraminer', or spicy traminer.

If I were in your country, I would definitely go for your American wines, which have a reputation of being from almost always reliable to great wines, with the right 'gołt de terroir', they do any table proud.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde