"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #31
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
I seem to remember from years and years ago a disease wiped out the French cab crop and the vines were replanted with California stock.
Close, but not exactly.

In the late 1800s, an American pest, the tiny phylloxera aphid, made its way across the Atlantic to France, by hitchhiking on some grapevine cuttings. Phylloxera will eat the roots of vines and cause the plant to slowly die. American vines, which are tougher, are impervious to the effects of the pest, but European vines (Cabernet, Merlot, Pinot Noir, etc.) don't have this defense.

When the American cuttings were planted, the phylloxera spread unimpeded across much of Europe and devastated countless vineyards. Since the pest lives within the soil, they were unable to eradicate it using traditional methods.

So someone came up with the idea of grafting European grape varieties onto the hardier American rootstock. To this day, with the exception of few places where the pest hasn't migrated, almost all wine grape varieties are grafted onto American vine roots.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian31 View Post
I totally agree with Steve Kroll. I believe it is all about personal choice and taste as well. What good for you might not be for me and so on...
Wine tasting is very subjective indeed.
If you are looking for expert advice, you can't get any better than Steve Knoll. He has won numerous awards for his wines.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:27 AM   #33
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian31 View Post
Talking about wine store, where do you buy your wine?? What would you prefer, online store or physical store?? why??
Both of them are reliable. It is just about finding the bottle we're looking for, I think. If I don't find a bottle at the nearest store, I make online research, check the pricing and order one if it suits me. My last order was from Majestic, Delices and Gourmandises , Laithwaites's, these are the 3 cheap and reliable wine shops according to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Close, but not exactly.

In the late 1800s, an American pest, the tiny phylloxera aphid, made its way across the Atlantic to France, by hitchhiking on some grapevine cuttings. Phylloxera will eat the roots of vines and cause the plant to slowly die. American vines, which are tougher, are impervious to the effects of the pest, but European vines (Cabernet, Merlot, Pinot Noir, etc.) don't have this defense.

When the American cuttings were planted, the phylloxera spread unimpeded across much of Europe and devastated countless vineyards. Since the pest lives within the soil, they were unable to eradicate it using traditional methods.

So someone came up with the idea of grafting European grape varieties onto the hardier American rootstock. To this day, with the exception of few places where the pest hasn't migrated, almost all wine grape varieties are grafted onto American vine roots.
I remember this disease, I couldn't imagine how lost French growers were at that time.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

Good evening!!
Can suggest you also think Italian wines!
There are several very good italian wines that you can find at good price.
For example: Brunello di Montalcino, Barolo between the most famous.
But also Molisani wines are good and a few expansive as Molise Montepulciano, Molise Aglianico, Molise Chardonet, tintilia, merlň, falanghina
Of course you have to choose a good cellar.
Between molisane cellars I suggest you Catabbo's cellars.
We toast to our health!!
Old 01-15-2018, 12:21 PM   #35
Sous Chef

In that case, I can certainly assure you that Italy does produce 'boutique' wines that can fit into the classification 'great'. For years now producers from the areas where there are areas where the climate is ideal for the production of not only wines of lesser stature than others, now there are many grower-producers who are turning out - with great care I may add - wines that are really stunning. I live, literally, surrounded by vineyards, and we see at close hand what goes on. Since I developed an interest in wine production, innovative methods, producers who are spending much more on production techniques I can say in all honesty that there are many of wine being types of wine, styles of wine, greater expertise, and other aspects that show this.

There is a white wine that carries the name 'Roero Arneis' - a white Burgundy-type style, a white wine that I've learned, through my work as a translator and interpreter, how they cope with climate change and all the issues that come with that. We have - just down the road - The finest Champagne-type wine known as Contratto. It used to be a very good quality sparkling wine, but now, they follow méthode champagne vinification, they do non-dosé et al, and it's spectacular. Even the table wines, mainly produced down south, have to battle with the more modest quality wines from other countries - perhaps even more than the prestige wines. But here I'm rambling. However it seems to me that is if you look through the wines on offer, the likelihood of finded a good wine at good value. I admire Steve massively. He really does know his stuff. It's always worth listening to him. However, don't leave the promising ones out in the cold!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM   #36
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura di florio View Post
Good evening!!
Can suggest you also think Italian wines!
There are several very good italian wines that you can find at good price.
For example: Brunello di Montalcino, Barolo between the most famous.
But also Molisani wines are good and a few expansive as Molise Montepulciano, Molise Aglianico, Molise Chardonet, tintilia, merlň, falanghina
Of course you have to choose a good cellar.
Between molisane cellars I suggest you Catabbo's cellars.
We toast to our health!!
Laura, I love Italian wines. In fact, I love them so much that if I were told the world was going to end tomorrow, I would run out and get a bottle of Barolo, or anything made with Nebbiolo, to enjoy.

Do you live in Molise? I have to admit I have never had Molisani wine. It's very rare to find wine from that region in the US. I'm familiar with some of the grapes used: Aglianico, Montepulciano, and, of course, Sangiovese. Others I would like to try. Tintilia and Falanghina are a couple I've never had.

Unfortunately, most wine made by small family producers in Italy never makes it out of the country. I suspect it's that way in most countries, with maybe the exception of France. For example, I know that 80% of American-made wine is consumed in America, and most of what is shipped abroad is low quality mass-produced plonk. The best wine stays right here.

There are a handful of importers here that have done a very good job of introducing American consumers to fine Italian wine. Leonardo Locascio of Winebow Importers is one. There are also shops that send their own buyers abroad to purchase wine for resale. This is often where you find the best deals. The buyer still has to pay tariffs, but by eliminating all the middlemen, the wine can be sold at a somewhat reasonable price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
...I admire Steve massively. He really does know his stuff. It's always worth listening to him.
Thank you, Di! That's very nice of you to say!