"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 01-15-2016, 03:27 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cabernet Sauvignon

Hi,
Bordeaux wines have a reputation for being pretty pricey but recently I ordered 2bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon at Delices Gourmandises which costed about $17 one. The taste was there but I just wonder if anyone can find cheaper.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:34 AM   #2
Wine Guy

Forgive me for saying this, but your post seems very odd. If you live in the United States (as it says on your profile), you can walk into any liquor store in the country and find Cabernet for less than $17. Also, from what I can tell, Delices Gourmandes is a French company that only sells confections, not wine. Strange.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

It's ok Steve, you are right saying that Delices Gourmandises sell sweets and
pastries but they also sell wine :
I would not blame you because I was also a bit astonished when I first hear it.
I sometimes order wines online especially on liquorama when I am busy with work or simply when I do not have time to buy at a liquor store. But this time, with my first order at Delices Gourmandises few days before Christmas, I was wondering if I made a good choice choosing the brand since I am planning to order other products.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:09 AM   #4
Wine Guy

I see. Anytime you order wine online it's bound to be more expensive. As far as choosing one particular brand over another, there are nearly 8,500 wineries in Bordeaux alone and the quality can vary greatly from year to year. Unless you are buying wine from the top chateaux (very expensive!) it's impossible to keep track of what's good or bad. What I generally rely on is the taste buds of others. Anything that's selling in a larger liquor store has been tasted and pre-approved by the store's buyer or a distributor and should be of passable quality - because stores want happy customers. In most cases, you can buy it at the price point you're willing to pay.

The other advantage of purchasing from a liquor store is that they often have in-store tastings, where you can sample what's available before you make a purchase.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:43 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

I am not a big wine connaisseur but I am kind of curious, what is the difference between the Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet d’Anjou. Well, what does cabernet mean in the first place? I have a feeling Anjou and Sauvignon are places.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:12 AM   #6
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry View Post
I am not a big wine connaisseur but I am kind of curious, what is the difference between the Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet d’Anjou. Well, what does cabernet mean in the first place? I have a feeling Anjou and Sauvignon are places.
The word "cabernet" itself is believed to have derived from the French word for charcoal, possibly due to its normally dark color. "Sauvignon" comes from the word for "savage" or "wild."

Cabernet d'Anjou is simply a rosé (pink) wine made from Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. The color in red wine comes from the skins, and to make a rosé wine, one just limits skin contact by pressing the grapes before fermentation is complete.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:24 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Cabernet d'Anjou is made from either cabernet sauvignon or cabernet Franc grape, it tends to be a rosé wine with ripe and summery sweet taste whereas cabernet sauvignon wine is a full-bodied red wine with dark fruit flavors.
I just wonder why cabernet sauvignon is more expensive than the others red wines?
Old 03-08-2016, 06:30 AM   #8
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granjie View Post
I just wonder why cabernet sauvignon is more expensive than the others red wines?
Short answer: it isn't.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:10 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Thanks for those short and clear explanation Steve, thanks as well Granjie, you've made a good point.
I think also that Kanjdy is lucky since there were cabernet Sauvignon wine that cost up to $24, don't know if it depends on the brand.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:06 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Not really, I didn't stumble upon Delices Gourmandises wines by chance but I was looking for cheap Cab wines. You may find cheaper with other brands but Delices Gourmandises happened to be reliable for me...

For sure, there's a big difference between ordering wines online and having to go to a liquor store, the only advantage is that you won't have to move from one place to another which is very helpful for people living in US, UK...