Cabernet Sauvignon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kandjy

Assistant Cook
Hi,
Bordeaux wines have a reputation for being pretty pricey but recently I ordered 2bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon at Delices Gourmandises which costed about $17 one. The taste was there but I just wonder if anyone can find cheaper.

Forgive me for saying this, but your post seems very odd. If you live in the United States (as it says on your profile), you can walk into any liquor store in the country and find Cabernet for less than $17. Also, from what I can tell, Delices Gourmandes is a French company that only sells confections, not wine. Strange.

It's ok Steve, you are right saying that Delices Gourmandises sell sweets and
pastries but they also sell wine :
I would not blame you because I was also a bit astonished when I first hear it.
I sometimes order wines online especially on liquorama when I am busy with work or simply when I do not have time to buy at a liquor store. But this time, with my first order at Delices Gourmandises few days before Christmas, I was wondering if I made a good choice choosing the brand since I am planning to order other products.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see. Anytime you order wine online it's bound to be more expensive. As far as choosing one particular brand over another, there are nearly 8,500 wineries in Bordeaux alone and the quality can vary greatly from year to year. Unless you are buying wine from the top chateaux (very expensive!) it's impossible to keep track of what's good or bad. What I generally rely on is the taste buds of others. Anything that's selling in a larger liquor store has been tasted and pre-approved by the store's buyer or a distributor and should be of passable quality - because stores want happy customers. In most cases, you can buy it at the price point you're willing to pay.

The other advantage of purchasing from a liquor store is that they often have in-store tastings, where you can sample what's available before you make a purchase.

I am not a big wine connaisseur but I am kind of curious, what is the difference between the Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet d’Anjou. Well, what does cabernet mean in the first place? I have a feeling Anjou and Sauvignon are places.

I am not a big wine connaisseur but I am kind of curious, what is the difference between the Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet d’Anjou. Well, what does cabernet mean in the first place? I have a feeling Anjou and Sauvignon are places.
The word "cabernet" itself is believed to have derived from the French word for charcoal, possibly due to its normally dark color. "Sauvignon" comes from the word for "savage" or "wild."

Cabernet d'Anjou is simply a rosé (pink) wine made from Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. The color in red wine comes from the skins, and to make a rosé wine, one just limits skin contact by pressing the grapes before fermentation is complete.

Cabernet d'Anjou is made from either cabernet sauvignon or cabernet Franc grape, it tends to be a rosé wine with ripe and summery sweet taste whereas cabernet sauvignon wine is a full-bodied red wine with dark fruit flavors.
I just wonder why cabernet sauvignon is more expensive than the others red wines?

Thanks for those short and clear explanation Steve, thanks as well Granjie, you've made a good point.
I think also that Kanjdy is lucky since there were cabernet Sauvignon wine that cost up to $24, don't know if it depends on the brand.

Not really, I didn't stumble upon Delices Gourmandises wines by chance but I was looking for cheap Cab wines. You may find cheaper with other brands but Delices Gourmandises happened to be reliable for me...

For sure, there's a big difference between ordering wines online and having to go to a liquor store, the only advantage is that you won't have to move from one place to another which is very helpful for people living in US, UK...

Yesterday, I saw an American cab that costed about £8.48 from online drink store, it is about $11. It was very cheap that I thought it was a joke :) If it depends not on the brand, I supposed that the pricing depends more on the country where the wine is made than anything else or am I wrong??

Yesterday, I saw an American cab that costed about £8.48 from online drink store, it is about $11. It was very cheap that I thought it was a joke :) If it depends not on the brand, I supposed that the pricing depends more on the country where the wine is made than anything else or am I wrong??
It depends on a lot of things. The producer determines the cost, and will typically charge whatever the market will allow. Some producers also have different levels of wine that they sell. For example, the same producer may offer an everyday value wine for $10 alongside a $25 (or more) premium wine. The only difference with the premium wine may be that it spent more time aging, or was stored in a more expensive barrel.

California Cabernet Sauvignon may range in price from $3 a bottle all the way up to $500 or more for certain "cult" wines. The ones exported to Europe tend to be at the lower range.

I read an article which was quite interesting not long ago. It was about the ten most expensive wines in the world. I couldn’t believe the price tag on them. One could sell as high as $12000 per bottle. Frankly, that is something I will never have the opportunity to taste. And according to the articles there are certain factors that need to be considered in order to classify great wines. Those factors are: weather, quality of grapes, aging techniques and, perceived value. Interestingly most those expensive wines are from France.

And according to the articles there are certain factors that need to be considered in order to classify great wines. Those factors are: weather, quality of grapes, aging techniques and, perceived value.
I would argue that "perceived value" accounts for 99.999% of that.

Think about it this way. It takes roughly 700 grapes to make a bottle of wine. Therefore, a $12,000 bottle breaks down to roughly $17 PER GRAPE. There is no grape in the world that is worth that much money.

Most people who buy those high priced bottles are collectors. Typically they hang on to it for a few years, hoping that the price will go up (and if they really want the price to go up, they will buy up the last of a rare lot). Then they turn around and sell it to people who are willing to pay the price. Those people, in turn, only care about serving it to their rich, snobby friends, so they can all ooh and ahh over the exorbitant price that was paid.

I once had the opportunity to taste an $800 bottle of French Chardonnay. I thought it was pretty good, but it certainly wasn't 40 times better than my favorite $20 bottle.

The wines with the highest perceived values, at least to me, are the ones shared with good friends.

Last edited:
I once had the opportunity to taste an $800 bottle of French Chardonnay. I thought it was pretty good, but it certainly wasn't 40 times better than my favorite $20 bottle.

:ohmy: Sorry to hear that, where did you buy it? Anyway, like somebody said the taste of wines is very subjective or not...

The world's finest wines depend on several factors: the area where the vineyard is; how the vineyard is situated: how big it is - for example, Le Monrachet is a (by comparison on almost any scale) tiny vineyard situated in Burgundy's top quality white wine A.C. area, therefore tiny production, carefully produced, properly cellared, properly aged. Microclimate is vitally important, and rarity is a factor as well. You can use the same grape variety somewhere else and it won't taste the same!

A very good example is the Traminer grape, which originates in North East Italy, but cultivated in Alsace it becomes noticeably spicier, hence the name 'Gewurtztraminer', or spicy traminer.

If I were in your country, I would definitely go for your American wines, which have a reputation of being from almost always reliable to great wines, with the right 'goùt de terroir', they do any table proud.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Back
Top Bottom