Cava Sparkling Wines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
:mrgreen: Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

Is anybody a fan of sparkling wines from Barcelona ?

Which ones do you prefer ? How do you serve them ? When do you serve them and what do you pair them with ? Does anyone cook with them as they would a Still white or rosé wine ? Which Cava brands are your favorites ?

Would enjoy hearing from those who have cooked with and enjoy sparkling wines from the Designation of Origin, Sant Sadurní d´Anoia, Barcelona.

A Mini History of Cava ...

Tradition attributes the invention of Sparkling wine to French Benedictine Don Pierre Perignon. He is also due recognition for having applied two quintessential innovations to conserve the fizziness, corks and glass bottles strong enough to withstand the high pressure of gas produced without bursting.

In 1872, Codorinu started Cava sparkling wine production in Sant Sadurnì D´Anoia, Barcelona.

Cava was born during the radical transformation of the Pènedes region vineyards following the dreaded Phylloxeric Parasite invasion.

The 3 classic varieties required for making Cava are:

Xarel.lo
Perellada
Macabeu
Chardonnay
Garnatxa
Subirat
Monstrall
Pinot Noir
Trepat

Each of these grape varieties provide the Cava with special characteristics which enhance and complement the properties of the other grapes and is called the practice of Coupàge.

The Grapes ...

Macabeu: a traditional Catalonia grape with balanced acidity, subtle aroma and dry

Xarel. lo: autochthonous variety of great character and produces a full bodied wine with a good degree of acidity. It is one of the bases of most Cavas produced.

Parellada: This variety adapts well to mountainous terroirs. It has very delicate pleasant aromas and a moderate content of alcohol.

The remaining grapes mentioned are also used for their character and singularity. Chardonnay is particularly aromatic and produces full bodied wines, while Pinot Noir is mainly used for Rosé Cava sparkling wines.

How Read the Label on the Bottle ...

Brut Nature: no sugar added

Extra Brut: up to 6 grams of sugar per Litre

Brut: Up to 15 grams

Extra Dary: from 12 to 20 grams

Dry: from 17 to 35 grams

Semi Sweet: over 50 grams

Food Pairing:

Shellfish, oysters, hors d´oeuvres in general, and fish go well with Cava Brut or a young EXtra Brut with its lively fruity refreshing touch of acidity.

Meats, poultry require more complex sparkling wines, such as a Dry or a Brut with a longer ageing.

Desserts, may be served with Semi Sweet Cava and of pleasure ...

** Photos to follow from the Consejo Regulador ( Council Regulator and President of the Designation of Origin of Cava )

Have a lovely August,
Margi.

This is my wife and I a few yrs ago drinking Freix for a late brekkie on a ship in a BARCA in Barsa.
img_1178303_0_2775416705f0516104f8c77f96b28aca.jpg

Cava: Juve y Camps

Brand Selection ?

At our home for 32 years, no event has ever begun without Cava or Champagne or Italian Sparkling Wine ...

The appealing aromas make it our family favorite.

Have a lovely August.
Margaux Cintrano.

I am also a Freixenet fan . For sparkles I tend to stick to this and Prosecco .
yo gravy.try blanquette de limoux....cheeky bubbly from france & pre dates champers by 150 years & better imo....£9.99 from tesco & as good as a £40 bottle of "bollie darling" imho
hidden treasure....not many people have even heard of it..........;)

I love you too Gritty, I like the bottles Cristal comes in.
Ps do you remember the great Moet faking scandal on M/side?

yo gravy.try blanquette de limoux....cheeky bubbly from france & pre dates champers by 150 years & better imo....£9.99 from tesco & as good as a £40 bottle of "bollie darling" imho
hidden treasure....not many people have even heard of it..........;)

Harry Slingfellow - managed to get hold of the Blanket de Limo - shall chill it and look forward to trying it . Bottys Up . :)

Jenny,

Surprisingly ... In Catalonia, we love Costa Brava and southern and northern Empòrda on the coast... we am also very fond of the historic city of Girona.

Thanks for posting your contribution.
Margi.

Gravy Queen,

The Market is wonderful ... We get up to see dear friends and clients there twice a year ... WONDERFUL gastronomic culture ...

Have nice August and thanks for your contributions.

All my best,
Margaux

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom